Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Can't delete files

Can't delete files

hzatph

I have a few files on my computer that I can't delete

Windows X

Files are owned by m

When I right click them I do not get the usual list of things. Instea
I only get a print and "send to" option. Nothing happens if I delete o
SHIFT delete. If I try to delete the parent directory I get a file no
found error

How can I get rid of these files. Some are internet shortcuts

Thank

--
hzatp
hzatph's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=949

Peter H

hzatph wrote:
> I have a few files on my computer that I can't delete.
>
> Windows XP
>
> Files are owned by me
>
> When I right click them I do not get the usual list of things. Instead
> I only get a print and "send to" option. Nothing happens if I delete or
> SHIFT delete. If I try to delete the parent directory I get a file not
> found error.
>
> How can I get rid of these files. Some are internet shortcuts.
>
> Thanks

When you right-click do you have a "Properties" option. I'm thinking
that somehow they have been made, "Read Only".

Peter H

Peter H

hzatph wrote:
> I have a few files on my computer that I can't delete.
>
> Windows XP
>
> Files are owned by me
>
> When I right click them I do not get the usual list of things. Instead
> I only get a print and "send to" option. Nothing happens if I delete or
> SHIFT delete. If I try to delete the parent directory I get a file not
> found error.
>
> How can I get rid of these files. Some are internet shortcuts.
>
> Thanks

When you right-click do you have a "Properties" option. I'm thinking
that somehow they have been made, "Read Only".

Peter H

Aquanaut

"hzatph" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I have a few files on my computer that I can't delete.
>
> Windows XP
>
> Files are owned by me
>
> When I right click them I do not get the usual list of things. Instead
> I only get a print and "send to" option. Nothing happens if I delete or
> SHIFT delete. If I try to delete the parent directory I get a file not
> found error.
>
> How can I get rid of these files. Some are internet shortcuts.
>
> Thanks
>

> --
> hzatph
> hzatph's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=9493
> View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=807187

http://members.driverguide.com/index...b&jmd=and&dd=0

Aquanaut

"Aquanaut" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:mpBJd.563$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "hzatph" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> I have a few files on my computer that I can't delete.
>>
>> Windows XP
>>
>> Files are owned by me
>>
>> When I right click them I do not get the usual list of things. Instead
>> I only get a print and "send to" option. Nothing happens if I delete or
>> SHIFT delete. If I try to delete the parent directory I get a file not
>> found error.
>>
>> How can I get rid of these files. Some are internet shortcuts.
>>
>> Thanks
>>

>> --
>> hzatph
>> hzatph's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=9493
>> View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=807187
>>

> http://members.driverguide.com/index...b&jmd=and&dd=0

oops sorry

Jim Byrd

Hi Hzatph - Sometimes you will find files which you are unable to delete
because they are in use. A program called Copylock, here,
http://noeld.com/programs.asp?cat=misc#CopyLock can aid in the process of
"replacing, moving, renaming or deleting one or many files which are
currently in use (e.g. system files like comctl32.dll, or virus/trojan
files.)" Another is Killbox, here:
http://www.downloads.subratam.org/KillBox.zip
A third which is a bit different but often useful is Delete Invalid File,
here: http://www.purgeie.com/delinv.htm which handles invalid/UNC
file/folder name deleting, rather than the in use problem. This last is the
one which I suspect will fix your issue, but try them all.

--
Please respond in the same thread.
Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
hzatph <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
> I have a few files on my computer that I can't delete.
>
> Windows XP
>
> Files are owned by me
>
> When I right click them I do not get the usual list of things. Instead
> I only get a print and "send to" option. Nothing happens if I delete
> or SHIFT delete. If I try to delete the parent directory I get a file
> not found error.
>
> How can I get rid of these files. Some are internet shortcuts.
>
> Thanks

hzatph

Brilliant thank you - Delete Invalid File worked a treat. Just what th
doctor ordered

--
hzatp
hzatph's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=949
View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=80718

Jim Byrd

YW, Hzatph - Thought that might do the trick!