Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > adding more RAM

adding more RAM

moi

I have a P-4 pc 1.8 Ghz with 256 MB Ram

If I add another 256 RAM will I note a significant speed increase in opening
software programs ? I have done all possible to clean up the PC but find it
is still slow.

thank you

°Mike°

ONLY if a shortage of RAM is causing the slowdown
in the first place. Take a look at my signature and
clean your system. Then check for spyware/malware.
Download, update and use ALL of the following -- even
if you already have them installed, UPDATE THEM NOW.
Malware changes by the day, even by the hour, so you MUST
have the latest version of removal tools:

Spybot Search & Destroy
SpyBot S&D guide

Ad-Aware SE
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
Ad-Aware VX2 cleaner plug-in
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/...2cleaner.shtml
IMPORTANT NOTICE:

Spyware Blaster

CWShredder (CoolWebSearch remover)
http://cwshredder.net/cwshredder/cwschronicles.html
Now maintained by InterMute
http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract..._download.html
http://cwshredder.net/bin/CWShredder.exe

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 15:15:22 -0500, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
moi scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

moi

Thanks

> ONLY if a shortage of RAM is causing the slowdown
> in the first place. Take a look at my signature and
> clean your system. Then check for spyware/malware.
> Download, update and use ALL of the following -- even
> if you already have them installed, UPDATE THEM NOW.
> Malware changes by the day, even by the hour, so you MUST
> have the latest version of removal tools:
>
> Spybot Search & Destroy
> http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
> SpyBot S&D guide
> http://www.chem.wisc.edu/~network/spybot/
>
> Ad-Aware SE
> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
> Ad-Aware VX2 cleaner plug-in
> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/...2cleaner.shtml
> IMPORTANT NOTICE:
> http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm#Attention
>
> Spyware Blaster
>
> CWShredder (CoolWebSearch remover)
> http://cwshredder.net/cwshredder/cwschronicles.html
> Now maintained by InterMute
> http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract..._download.html
> http://cwshredder.net/bin/CWShredder.exe
>

> On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 15:15:22 -0500, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> moi scrawled:
>
> >I have a P-4 pc 1.8 Ghz with 256 MB Ram
> >
> >If I add another 256 RAM will I note a significant speed increase in

opening
> >software programs ? I have done all possible to clean up the PC but find

it
> >is still slow.
> >
> >thank you
> >

> --
> Basic computer maintenance

moi

Again thanks
news:ct6as2$q4t$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "moi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have a P-4 pc 1.8 Ghz with 256 MB Ram
> >
> > If I add another 256 RAM will I note a significant speed increase in
> > opening
> > software programs ? I have done all possible to clean up the PC but

find
> > it
> > is still slow.
> >
> > thank you
> >

> Depends on other factors as well such as what OS you are using and the
> efficiency of the motherboard, what software you are using and how

efficient
> the software has been written to use memory. XP usually runs better with
> 512mb rather than 256mb

Tony

"moi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a P-4 pc 1.8 Ghz with 256 MB Ram
>
> If I add another 256 RAM will I note a significant speed increase in
> opening
> software programs ? I have done all possible to clean up the PC but find
> it
> is still slow.
>
> thank you

Depends on other factors as well such as what OS you are using and the
efficiency of the motherboard, what software you are using and how efficient
the software has been written to use memory. XP usually runs better with
512mb rather than 256mb

Martik

> ONLY if a shortage of RAM is causing the slowdown
> in the first place. Take a look at my signature and
> clean your system. Then check for spyware/malware.
> Download, update and use ALL of the following -- even
> if you already have them installed, UPDATE THEM NOW.
> Malware changes by the day, even by the hour, so you MUST
> have the latest version of removal tools:
>
> Spybot Search & Destroy
> http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
> SpyBot S&D guide
> http://www.chem.wisc.edu/~network/spybot/
>
> Ad-Aware SE
> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
> Ad-Aware VX2 cleaner plug-in
> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/...2cleaner.shtml
> IMPORTANT NOTICE:
> http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm#Attention
>
> Spyware Blaster
>
> CWShredder (CoolWebSearch remover)
> http://cwshredder.net/cwshredder/cwschronicles.html
> Now maintained by InterMute
> http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract..._download.html
> http://cwshredder.net/bin/CWShredder.exe
>

> On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 15:15:22 -0500, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> moi scrawled:
>
>>I have a P-4 pc 1.8 Ghz with 256 MB Ram
>>
>>If I add another 256 RAM will I note a significant speed increase in
>>opening
>>software programs ? I have done all possible to clean up the PC but find
>>it
>>is still slow.
>>
>>thank you
>>

> --
> Basic computer maintenance

Or ignore Mike's good advise and use Linux. Mandrake is a good start. Then
you can use your computer for other things besides preventing attacks.

°Mike°

You're welcome.

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 15:38:09 -0500, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
moi scrawled:

>Thanks

>> ONLY if a shortage of RAM is causing the slowdown
>> in the first place. Take a look at my signature and
>> clean your system. Then check for spyware/malware.
>> Download, update and use ALL of the following -- even
>> if you already have them installed, UPDATE THEM NOW.
>> Malware changes by the day, even by the hour, so you MUST
>> have the latest version of removal tools:

<snip>

--
Basic computer maintenance

°Mike°

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 21:04:28 GMT, in
<wvyJd.149402$KO5.30833@clgrps13>
Martik scrawled:

>use Linux.

YAWWWWWWN!!!

--
Basic computer maintenance

Graham

512MB is certainly advantagous if you do any work with photos etc larger
files or graphic intensive programs. You will notice a big increase in
preformance if you use some of the cleaner adaware progs mentioned already
also
"moi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Again thanks
> "Tony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ct6as2$q4t$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > "moi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >I have a P-4 pc 1.8 Ghz with 256 MB Ram
> > >
> > > If I add another 256 RAM will I note a significant speed increase in
> > > opening
> > > software programs ? I have done all possible to clean up the PC but

> find
> > > it
> > > is still slow.
> > >
> > > thank you
> > >

> > Depends on other factors as well such as what OS you are using and the
> > efficiency of the motherboard, what software you are using and how

> efficient
> > the software has been written to use memory. XP usually runs better

with
> > 512mb rather than 256mb

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Martik wrote:

>>ONLY if a shortage of RAM is causing the slowdown
>>in the first place. Take a look at my signature and
>>clean your system. Then check for spyware/malware.
>>Download, update and use ALL of the following -- even
>>if you already have them installed, UPDATE THEM NOW.
>>Malware changes by the day, even by the hour, so you MUST
>>have the latest version of removal tools:
>>
>>Spybot Search & Destroy
>>http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
>>SpyBot S&D guide
>>http://www.chem.wisc.edu/~network/spybot/
>>
>>Ad-Aware SE
>>http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
>>Ad-Aware VX2 cleaner plug-in
>>http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/...2cleaner.shtml
>>IMPORTANT NOTICE:
>>http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm#Attention
>>
>>Spyware Blaster
>>http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html
>>
>>CWShredder (CoolWebSearch remover)
>>http://cwshredder.net/cwshredder/cwschronicles.html
>>Now maintained by InterMute
>>http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract..._download.html
>>http://cwshredder.net/bin/CWShredder.exe
>>

>>On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 15:15:22 -0500, in
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> moi scrawled:
>>

>>>I have a P-4 pc 1.8 Ghz with 256 MB Ram
>>>
>>>If I add another 256 RAM will I note a significant speed increase in
>>>opening
>>>software programs ? I have done all possible to clean up the PC but find
>>>it
>>>is still slow.
>>>
>>>thank you
>>>

>>--
>>Basic computer maintenance
>>http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html

> Or ignore Mike's good advise and use Linux. Mandrake is a good start. Then
> you can use your computer for other things besides preventing attacks.

Yeah, I made my old computer into a big paper weight with Fedora. Of
course, it was underpowered for the task at hand. It allowed Linux to
install and I can even get to the desktop. But almost anything else I
want to do it freezes up and lays there just as dead as any Windows box.
So, I guess it depends, eh?