Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Main folder organization questions

Main folder organization questions

Flycaster

XP Home. When I open My Computer, I get the following tree--I've put in
only the folders that I am interested in discussing:

Desktop
My Documents
My Computer
Local Disk C
Docs and Settings
My Documents
My Pictures
My Pictures

1. The My Docs right under Desktop appears to contain the the same
files and folders as the My Docs under Docs and Settings. If this is
correct, why this duplication and does it make any sense to delete one
of them?

2. The My Pictures folder within Docs and Settings does not contain the
same files and folders as the My Pictures under Local Disk C. The My
Pictures under Local Disk C is my main picture folder. Are they two
different folders and can I delete one of them (the one under Docs and
Settings) without causing problems?

3. If possible, I'd like to be able to have the My Pictures (under
Local Disk C) moved to a top position similar to the first My Documents.
Is this possible? If so, how?

Thanks,

Adam

--
To email, erase "forgetit"

°Mike°

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 10:08:36 -0500, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Flycaster scrawled:

>XP Home. When I open My Computer, I get the following tree--I've put in
>only the folders that I am interested in discussing:
>
>Desktop
> My Documents
> My Computer
> Local Disk C
> Docs and Settings
> My Documents
> My Pictures
> My Pictures
>
>1. The My Docs right under Desktop appears to contain the the same
>files and folders as the My Docs under Docs and Settings. If this is
>correct, why this duplication and does it make any sense to delete one
>of them?

Yes it is correct; My Documents is a Shell Folder -- see my signature.
No, DO NOT DELETE ONE!

>2. The My Pictures folder within Docs and Settings does not contain the
>same files and folders as the My Pictures under Local Disk C. The My
>Pictures under Local Disk C is my main picture folder. Are they two
>different folders and can I delete one of them (the one under Docs and
>Settings) without causing problems?

Yes, they are two different Shell Folders. You have chosen
the one under C: as your main folder. Do NOT delete the
Shell Folder under My Documents.

>3. If possible, I'd like to be able to have the My Pictures (under
>Local Disk C) moved to a top position similar to the first My Documents.
>Is this possible? If so, how?

Use the Shell Folder under My Documents, then it's just
one click away. Alternatively, make a shortcut that points
directly to it, ie. in the 'Target' box of Windows Explorer,
place:

%windir%\explorer.exe /n,,"C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\My Documents\My
Pictures"

Replace the <USERNAME> with your profile name.

--
Basic computer maintenance

Flycaster

°Mike° wrote:

>On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 10:08:36 -0500, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Flycaster scrawled:
>

>>XP Home. When I open My Computer, I get the following tree--I've put in
>>only the folders that I am interested in discussing:
>>
>>Desktop
>> My Documents
>> My Computer
>> Local Disk C
>> Docs and Settings
>> My Documents
>> My Pictures
>> My Pictures
>>
>>1. The My Docs right under Desktop appears to contain the the same
>>files and folders as the My Docs under Docs and Settings. If this is
>>correct, why this duplication and does it make any sense to delete one
>>of them?
>>

>Yes it is correct; My Documents is a Shell Folder -- see my signature.
>No, DO NOT DELETE ONE!
>

>>2. The My Pictures folder within Docs and Settings does not contain the
>>same files and folders as the My Pictures under Local Disk C. The My
>>Pictures under Local Disk C is my main picture folder. Are they two
>>different folders and can I delete one of them (the one under Docs and
>>Settings) without causing problems?
>>

>Yes, they are two different Shell Folders. You have chosen
>the one under C: as your main folder. Do NOT delete the
>Shell Folder under My Documents.
>

>>3. If possible, I'd like to be able to have the My Pictures (under
>>Local Disk C) moved to a top position similar to the first My Documents.
>>Is this possible? If so, how?
>>

>Use the Shell Folder under My Documents, then it's just
>one click away. Alternatively, make a shortcut that points
>directly to it, ie. in the 'Target' box of Windows Explorer,
>place:
>
>%windir%\explorer.exe /n,,"C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\My Documents\My
>Pictures"
>
>Replace the <USERNAME> with your profile name.

Thanks for the help.

--
To email, erase "forgetit"

°Mike°

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 10:25:42 -0500, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Flycaster scrawled:

>°Mike° wrote:

<snip>

>>Replace the <USERNAME> with your profile name.
>>

>Thanks for the help.

You're welcome.

--
Basic computer maintenance