Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Windows' Operating Sytems.

Windows' Operating Sytems.

Quimbler

Firstly is Windows 2000, the same as Windows ME?

Secondly, if I was looking to update to a Windows system, what would
people suggest? XP or something else? And how can one purchase these
OS's for a reasonable figure?

Thanks.

Conor

In article <ct2vnp$lbl$(E-Mail Removed)>, Quimbler says...
> Firstly is Windows 2000, the same as Windows ME?

Not in any way shape or form.

> Secondly, if I was looking to update to a Windows system, what would
> people suggest? XP or something else? And how can one purchase these
> OS's for a reasonable figure?

XP. Buy the OEM one. You need to buyt an essential piece of hardware at
the same time to qualify for the OEM version but mice and power chords
are regarded as essential.

--
Conor

-- George Patton

Birgit

"Conor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> In article <ct2vnp$lbl$(E-Mail Removed)>, Quimbler says...
> > Firstly is Windows 2000, the same as Windows ME?
> >

> Not in any way shape or form.
>
> > Secondly, if I was looking to update to a Windows system, what would
> > people suggest? XP or something else? And how can one purchase these
> > OS's for a reasonable figure?
> >

> XP. Buy the OEM one. You need to buyt an essential piece of hardware at
> the same time to qualify for the OEM version but mice and power chords
> are regarded as essential.

Are you always this stupid or are you making a special effort today?

> --
> Conor
>
> An imperfect plan executed violently is far superior to a perfect plan.
> -- George Patton

chuckieŽ

Yes, there is a difference, WinME is crap and Win2000 and/or XP are good
stable OS's. I have both Win2000pro and WinXP Home in two separate
computers and enjoy both equally. XP is prettier and has a few more
gee-gaws, but Win2000pro is just as functional and stable. Your choice, but
either is good...luck...

Ron Martell

Quimbler <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Firstly is Windows 2000, the same as Windows ME?

No. They are totally different.

WindowsMe is based on the Windows 9x kernel and is the successor to
Windows 98 Second Edition. It is the last version of Windows that
uses the 9x kernel.

Windows 2000 is based on the Windows NT kernel and is the successor to
Windows NT4. It is primarily a business oriented operating system and
may not be suitable for extensive gaming or multimedia work and
hardware drivers may not be available for some accessories.

>Secondly, if I was looking to update to a Windows system, what would
>people suggest? XP or something else? And how can one purchase these
>OS's for a reasonable figure?

Windows XP is the most recent version of Microsoft Windows and is the
one that is most widely supported. However the hardware requirements
are substantially higher (CPU speed, RAM quantity, and hard drive
space) than previous versions of Windows and if your hardware is not
adequate then the performance may be disappointing.

If you have an existing version of Windows (95 or later) then the
Retail Upgrade version of Windows XP may be the best choice for you as
it has the most flexible licensing conditions in terms of transferring
to a newer computer etc.

If you do not have an existing version of Windows then the OEM version
will probably be the most reasonably priced. However there are
licensing restrictions associated with OEM versions that you should be
aware of. See http://onlinehelp.bc.ca/oem_software.htm for details.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--