Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > My Computer Icon Doesn't Work

My Computer Icon Doesn't Work

henrichs_1@hotmail.com

I'm using Windows XP. When I click on the "My Computer" icon, I get a
"My Computer" bar on the bottom of the screen, but nothing opens up. I
try clicking on "My Computer" on the bottom of the screen and nothing
happens. Maximizing doesn't work. I have to go
Startrograms:Accessories:Windows Explorer. Then I can select My
Computer. I tried deleting the icon, and adding it back, but that
doesn't help. I'd appreciate any replies. Thanks.

Craig Henrichs

Billh

> I'm using Windows XP. When I click on the "My Computer" icon, I get a
> "My Computer" bar on the bottom of the screen, but nothing opens up. I
> try clicking on "My Computer" on the bottom of the screen and nothing
> happens. Maximizing doesn't work. I have to go
> Startrograms:Accessories:Windows Explorer. Then I can select My
> Computer. I tried deleting the icon, and adding it back, but that
> doesn't help. I'd appreciate any replies. Thanks.
>
> Craig Henrichs

Don't know about your my computer bar but to save a lot of time hold the
windows key and press the letter E once this will bring up explorer and
if you want it to look like what you get when you open my computer click
the icon on the tool bar called folders.

mhicaoidh

Taking a moment's reflection, (E-Mail Removed) mused:

| I'm using Windows XP. When I click on the "My Computer" icon, I get a
| "My Computer" bar on the bottom of the screen, but nothing opens up. I
| try clicking on "My Computer" on the bottom of the screen and nothing
| happens. Maximizing doesn't work. I have to go
| Startrograms:Accessories:Windows Explorer. Then I can select My
| Computer. I tried deleting the icon, and adding it back, but that
| doesn't help. I'd appreciate any replies. Thanks.

Sounds like your window is opening up off the desktop ... try right
clicking the button, and selecting Move ... then use your arrows keys to see
if you can get the window back onto your desktop.

Big Johnson

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 20:22:49 GMT, "mhicaoidh"
<mv_mhic_aoidh@hotXmailPM.com> wrote:

>Taking a moment's reflection, *email_address_deleted* mused:
>|
>| I'm using Windows XP. When I click on the "My Computer" icon, I get a
>| "My Computer" bar on the bottom of the screen, but nothing opens up. I
>| try clicking on "My Computer" on the bottom of the screen and nothing
>| happens. Maximizing doesn't work. I have to go
>| Startrograms:Accessories:Windows Explorer. Then I can select My
>| Computer. I tried deleting the icon, and adding it back, but that
>| doesn't help. I'd appreciate any replies. Thanks.
>
> Sounds like your window is opening up off the desktop ... try right
>clicking the button, and selecting Move ... then use your arrows keys to see
>if you can get the window back onto your desktop.

Moving a window, when you can't see where it is, can be a pain in the ass. It's
a bit easier to:
1) Minimise everything (Show desktop).
2) Maximise or Restore Windows Explorer (where you can't see it).
3) Cascade Windows.
4) Un minimise everything minimised in step 1 (left click on each toolbar
icon).

You don't have to do step 1, if you don't mind seeing all your other open
windows cascaded too. Cascade Windows simply resets all currently non-minimised
windows to a nice open state in the upper left corner of the main monitor.