Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > XP Home vs. wireless LAN

XP Home vs. wireless LAN

zxcvbob

Wife's new Thinkpad running XP Home SP2 shows up in "WORKGROUP" on the
other computers' network neighborhoods when it is connected via
Ethernet. But when it is connected wirelessly (which is the usual way),
it doesn't show up. The network is controlled by a wireless router with
an integrated 4-port switch. The wireless computers running Win 2000
network just fine.

What setting in XP do I need to enable or disable or whatever to get the
computer to share resources on a wireless network that it doesn't control?

Thanks, regards,
Bob

Duane Arnold

zxcvbob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Wife's new Thinkpad running XP Home SP2 shows up in "WORKGROUP" on the
> other computers' network neighborhoods when it is connected via
> Ethernet. But when it is connected wirelessly (which is the usual
> way), it doesn't show up. The network is controlled by a wireless
> router with an integrated 4-port switch. The wireless computers
> running Win 2000 network just fine.
>
> What setting in XP do I need to enable or disable or whatever to get
> the computer to share resources on a wireless network that it doesn't
> control?

Most of the time, it's the wireless encryption that prevents the wired and
wireless machines from sharing resources. Netbeui is a protocol that is
being used on the Win 2k's NIC and it's not a routable protocol when
wireless encryption is enabled.

You can run with the following services and protocol on the wired and
wireless NIC(s) removing everything else off of the NIC(s).

1) Client services for MS networks
2) File and Print Sharing for MS networks
3) Internet protocol TCP/IP

Hopefully, that should allow the wire and wireless machines to share
resources and access the Internet.

Duane

zxcvbob

Duane Arnold wrote:
> zxcvbob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>

>>Wife's new Thinkpad running XP Home SP2 shows up in "WORKGROUP" on the
>>other computers' network neighborhoods when it is connected via
>>Ethernet. But when it is connected wirelessly (which is the usual
>>way), it doesn't show up. The network is controlled by a wireless
>>router with an integrated 4-port switch. The wireless computers
>>running Win 2000 network just fine.
>>
>>What setting in XP do I need to enable or disable or whatever to get
>>the computer to share resources on a wireless network that it doesn't
>>control?

> Most of the time, it's the wireless encryption that prevents the wired and
> wireless machines from sharing resources. Netbeui is a protocol that is
> being used on the Win 2k's NIC and it's not a routable protocol when
> wireless encryption is enabled.
>
> You can run with the following services and protocol on the wired and
> wireless NIC(s) removing everything else off of the NIC(s).
>
> 1) Client services for MS networks
> 2) File and Print Sharing for MS networks
> 3) Internet protocol TCP/IP
>
> Hopefully, that should allow the wire and wireless machines to share
> resources and access the Internet.
>
> Duane

Thanks for the quick reply. I have wired and encrypted wireless
machines sharing resources already, and it work fine except for the one
wireless XP machine. It will only share when I connect it wired.

I assume it has something to do with XP's built-in firewall, and it
doesn't want to share over wireless unless it controls the WLAN. I'm
gonna go poke around in the Network settings...

Bob

Duane Arnold

zxcvbob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Duane Arnold wrote:
>> zxcvbob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>>

>>>Wife's new Thinkpad running XP Home SP2 shows up in "WORKGROUP" on
>>>the other computers' network neighborhoods when it is connected via
>>>Ethernet. But when it is connected wirelessly (which is the usual
>>>way), it doesn't show up. The network is controlled by a wireless
>>>router with an integrated 4-port switch. The wireless computers
>>>running Win 2000 network just fine.
>>>
>>>What setting in XP do I need to enable or disable or whatever to get
>>>the computer to share resources on a wireless network that it doesn't
>>>control?

>> Most of the time, it's the wireless encryption that prevents the
>> wired and wireless machines from sharing resources. Netbeui is a
>> protocol that is being used on the Win 2k's NIC and it's not a
>> routable protocol when wireless encryption is enabled.
>>
>> You can run with the following services and protocol on the wired and
>> wireless NIC(s) removing everything else off of the NIC(s).
>>
>> 1) Client services for MS networks
>> 2) File and Print Sharing for MS networks
>> 3) Internet protocol TCP/IP
>>
>> Hopefully, that should allow the wire and wireless machines to share
>> resources and access the Internet.
>>
>> Duane
>>

> Thanks for the quick reply. I have wired and encrypted wireless
> machines sharing resources already, and it work fine except for the
> one wireless XP machine. It will only share when I connect it wired.

And there you have said it. It only works when you connect it wire. That
kind indicates that the services and protocols are involved and the same
ones are not working when it's a wireless connection.

> I assume it has something to do with XP's built-in firewall, and it
> doesn't want to share over wireless unless it controls the WLAN. I'm
> gonna go poke around in the Network settings...

If the XP FW was enabled and it work for the wire connection, then the FW
is not stopping it on the wireless connection either.

You sync the protocol and services on the NIC(s) to match and it may work
for you. I don't know how many times this post has been made in the
wireless NG - too many to count.

Duane

mhicaoidh

Taking a moment's reflection, Duane Arnold mused:

| If the XP FW was enabled and it work for the wire connection, then the FW
| is not stopping it on the wireless connection either.

Except that you can enable/disable the firewall on a per connection
bases in SP2 ... so, the firewall may be off for the wired NIC, but enabled
on that WLAN card.

Duane Arnold

"mhicaoidh" <mv_mhic_aoidh@hotXmailPM.com> wrote in

> Taking a moment's reflection, Duane Arnold mused:
>|
>| If the XP FW was enabled and it work for the wire connection, then
>| the FW is not stopping it on the wireless connection either.
>
> Except that you can enable/disable the firewall on a per
> connection
> bases in SP2 ... so, the firewall may be off for the wired NIC, but
> enabled on that WLAN card.

Yeah, you're right. It may be that way on the SP1 FW too on a per
connection bases now that I look back to when I last sampled the XP FW. But
9 times out of 10, it's that services a protocol issue between the NIC's on
the wired and wireless.

Duane