Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Safely Remove Hardware

Safely Remove Hardware

Ken Smith

Windows XP pro SP2

Should the, "Safely Remove Hardware" icon be on all the time?

I have a HP 7450 photosmart printer (DOT4USB) attached permanently and a USB
mass storage device (F drive which I remove and plug in as the mood sees
fit. Both devices are on under the Safely Remove Hardware icon when I switch
on the computer.

Toolman Tim

"Ken Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:E0PId.100$(E-Mail Removed)...
| Windows XP pro SP2
|
| Should the, "Safely Remove Hardware" icon be on all the time?
|
| I have a HP 7450 photosmart printer (DOT4USB) attached permanently and a
USB
| mass storage device (F drive which I remove and plug in as the mood sees
| fit. Both devices are on under the Safely Remove Hardware icon when I
switch
| on the computer.

Yes - that icon should be on any time there is a device attached which could
potentially lose data by disconnecting improperly. Your USB F: drive is
obvious - and I'd guess your photosmart printer has a card slot for a camera
memory card, correct? That would be why it has the icon in question.

So the reminder goes here: use the icon to turn off the device(s) before
unplugging them!

Ken Smith

"Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:rjSId.15774$(E-Mail Removed)...

| "Ken Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| news:E0PId.100$(E-Mail Removed)...
|| Windows XP pro SP2
|| Should the, "Safely Remove Hardware" icon be on all the time?
|| I have a HP 7450 photosmart printer (DOT4USB) attached permanently and a
| USB
|| mass storage device (F drive which I remove and plug in as the mood sees
|| fit. Both devices are on under the Safely Remove Hardware icon when I
| switch
|| on the computer.
| Yes - that icon should be on any time there is a device attached which could
| potentially lose data by disconnecting improperly. Your USB F: drive is
| obvious - and I'd guess your photosmart printer has a card slot for a camera
| memory card, correct? That would be why it has the icon in question.
|
| So the reminder goes here: use the icon to turn off the device(s) before
| unplugging them!

Yes the HP printer has slots for memory cards. I do remember to click and safely remove the USB pen drive thingy, but it and the
printer keep coming back after a restart.

Toolman Tim

"Ken Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:rSTId.1516$(E-Mail Removed)...

| "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:rjSId.15774$(E-Mail Removed)...
|| "Ken Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
|| news:E0PId.100$(E-Mail Removed)...
||| Windows XP pro SP2
||| Should the, "Safely Remove Hardware" icon be on all the time?
||| I have a HP 7450 photosmart printer (DOT4USB) attached permanently and a
|| USB
||| mass storage device (F drive which I remove and plug in as the mood
sees
||| fit. Both devices are on under the Safely Remove Hardware icon when I
|| switch
||| on the computer.
|| Yes - that icon should be on any time there is a device attached which
could
|| potentially lose data by disconnecting improperly. Your USB F: drive is
|| obvious - and I'd guess your photosmart printer has a card slot for a
camera
|| memory card, correct? That would be why it has the icon in question.
|| So the reminder goes here: use the icon to turn off the device(s) before
|| unplugging them!
|
| Yes the HP printer has slots for memory cards. I do remember to click and
safely remove the USB pen drive thingy, but it and the
| printer keep coming back after a restart.

As long as that printer is (in your words) "attached permanently" that icon
will keep coming back.

Ken Smith

"Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:kjUId.15796$(E-Mail Removed)...

| "Ken Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| news:rSTId.1516$(E-Mail Removed)...
|| "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| news:rjSId.15774$(E-Mail Removed)...
||| "Ken Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
||| news:E0PId.100$(E-Mail Removed)...
||| USB
| sees
||| switch
||| Yes - that icon should be on any time there is a device attached which
| could
||| potentially lose data by disconnecting improperly. Your USB F: drive is
||| obvious - and I'd guess your photosmart printer has a card slot for a
| camera
||| memory card, correct? That would be why it has the icon in question.
||| So the reminder goes here: use the icon to turn off the device(s) before
||| unplugging them!
|| Yes the HP printer has slots for memory cards. I do remember to click and
| safely remove the USB pen drive thingy, but it and the
|| printer keep coming back after a restart.
| As long as that printer is (in your words) "attached permanently" that icon
| will keep coming back.

Ok, that's fair enough. But why does my USB pen drive keep asking to Safely Remove even though hasn't been plugged in in days (and
was "Safely Removed")?

Toolman Tim

"Ken Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:YvUId.233$w%(E-Mail Removed)...

| "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:kjUId.15796$(E-Mail Removed)...
|| "Ken Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
|| news:rSTId.1516$(E-Mail Removed)...
||| "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
|| news:rjSId.15774$(E-Mail Removed)...
|| sees
|| could
|| camera
before
||| Yes the HP printer has slots for memory cards. I do remember to click
and
|| safely remove the USB pen drive thingy, but it and the
||| printer keep coming back after a restart.
|| As long as that printer is (in your words) "attached permanently" that
icon
|| will keep coming back.
|

| Ok, that's fair enough. But why does my USB pen drive keep asking to
Safely Remove even though hasn't been plugged in in days (and
| was "Safely Removed")?

My first guess is that Windows is not deleting the unit from your system
device list. That way it recognises it faster next time you plug it in. But
that's only a guess.