Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Boot sector virus

Boot sector virus

Stephen I. Miechkota

I have reformatted my computer a hundred times and it goes nuts in a short
while. I was told I might have a virus in the boot sector. I have the Sassor
worm virus showing up after I have reformatted and when I'm not hooked to
the internet. How might I fix this?

edard

Stephen I. Miechkota wrote:

> I have reformatted my computer a hundred times and it goes nuts in a short
> while. I was told I might have a virus in the boot sector. I have the
> Sassor worm virus showing up after I have reformatted and when I'm not
> hooked to the internet. How might I fix this?

You will need to "wipe" that hard drive. The hard drive manufacturer will
have downloadable utilities on their site to do a low level format. I have
used wipe.com (it writes 0s into each disk sector) in the past but
understand that it does not fill the larger modern hard drives.
HTH

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Stephen I. Miechkota wrote:
> I have reformatted my computer a hundred times and it goes nuts in a short
> while. I was told I might have a virus in the boot sector. I have the Sassor
> worm virus showing up after I have reformatted and when I'm not hooked to
> the internet. How might I fix this?

The Sasser virus is not a boot sector virus. If you don't connect to the
net and you've just formatted the drive, then it had to get on there
somehow. First, make sure that the disk you're installing Windows from
is absolutely clean (isn't a "burnt" copy by any chance, is it?). Then
see if there's any floppy, CD, slave drive or any other way that it can
get to you. Turn off system restore, disconnect any networking cables.

Almost any decent antivirus program will detect and remove boot sector
viruses. But if you want to make sure you get rid of a boot sector
virus, use a program like wipe.com (Norton Utilities also has a wipe
utility):

http://www.digitalissues.co.uk/html/...ipe-zap.html#1