Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Constant Network traffic problem

Constant Network traffic problem

Jeff

The last couple of days I've been noticing a lot of network traffic. Mainly
with my uploads. I use "Stat 'n' Perf" a network monitor software and my
average transmission would be 20kB/s.

I'm not surfing the web, I'm not using any p2p software and yet I'm still
uploading data somewhere.

I checked for virus and worms. Nothing

I checked for spyware. (Ad-aware, Spybot Search and Destory). Nothing.

I have two computers connect through a router and that is connected to cable
modem. I disconnect the cable modem from the router (no internet), the
traffic is still there. I disconnect the second computer that I'm not
using, the traffic is still there.

I checked the second computer when it was connected to the router, it had no
problems.

I'm thinking of reformatting the computer but that might not solve the
problem.

Can anyone help or suggest something?

using W2k

Duane Arnold

"Jeff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> The last couple of days I've been noticing a lot of network traffic.
> Mainly with my uploads. I use "Stat 'n' Perf" a network monitor
> software and my average transmission would be 20kB/s.
>
> I'm not surfing the web, I'm not using any p2p software and yet I'm
> still uploading data somewhere.
>
> I checked for virus and worms. Nothing
>
> I checked for spyware. (Ad-aware, Spybot Search and Destory). Nothing.
>
> I have two computers connect through a router and that is connected to
> cable modem. I disconnect the cable modem from the router (no
> internet), the traffic is still there. I disconnect the second
> computer that I'm not using, the traffic is still there.
>
> I checked the second computer when it was connected to the router, it
> had no problems.
>
> I'm thinking of reformatting the computer but that might not solve the
> problem.
>
> Can anyone help or suggest something?
>
> using W2k

You can use a packet sniffer like Ethereal (free).

www.ethereal.com

You can Active Ports and Process Explorer and you can use PE to look at
all running processes and look inside a running process to see what
processes are using a process both are free.

http://tinyurl.com/klw1

Duane