Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > re-install Win 98/ 6 year old system

re-install Win 98/ 6 year old system

Retiredff

I have a 6+ year old Gateway that is a hand-me-down to my kid. Works just
fine for what she does, or it did.

I decided to clean house, and do a fresh install of Win 98. Gateway provided
me with a step-by-step process to do a fdisk and format, but either they
left out a step, or I messed up.

After doing the fdisk, I formatted (format C: /c/u). When I try to install
Win 98, I get a 'no valid FAT or FAT32 partition' message. obviously, I
think, it failed to set a primary partition when the fdisk was done.

I tried to fdisk again, but I get 'No fixed disks present'. I used a Gateway
utility, and ran a S.M.A.R.T. test, and another extended test, and passed. I
tried to write all 0's, and it failed with a 'Busy Timeout' error.

How do I get back to the point that I can fdisk, so I can start over? Or can
I?

I did make a Win 98 startup disk before I started this mess, if that
matters.

Retiredff

Retiredff wrote:
> I have a 6+ year old Gateway that is a hand-me-down to my kid. Works
> just fine for what she does, or it did.
>
> I decided to clean house, and do a fresh install of Win 98. Gateway
> provided me with a step-by-step process to do a fdisk and format, but
> either they left out a step, or I messed up.
>
> After doing the fdisk, I formatted (format C: /c/u). When I try to
> install Win 98, I get a 'no valid FAT or FAT32 partition' message.
> obviously, I think, it failed to set a primary partition when the
> fdisk was done.
> I tried to fdisk again, but I get 'No fixed disks present'. I used a
> Gateway utility, and ran a S.M.A.R.T. test, and another extended
> test, and passed. I tried to write all 0's, and it failed with a
> 'Busy Timeout' error.
> How do I get back to the point that I can fdisk, so I can start over?
> Or can I?
>
> I did make a Win 98 startup disk before I started this mess, if that
> matters.

Oops, failed to mention that the 'No fixed disks present' shows up after I
type fdisk at the A:\ prompt.

edard

Retiredff wrote:

> Retiredff wrote:
>> I have a 6+ year old Gateway that is a hand-me-down to my kid. Works
>> just fine for what she does, or it did.
>>
>> I decided to clean house, and do a fresh install of Win 98. Gateway
>> provided me with a step-by-step process to do a fdisk and format, but
>> either they left out a step, or I messed up.
>>
>> After doing the fdisk, I formatted (format C: /c/u). When I try to
>> install Win 98, I get a 'no valid FAT or FAT32 partition' message.
>> obviously, I think, it failed to set a primary partition when the
>> fdisk was done.
>> I tried to fdisk again, but I get 'No fixed disks present'. I used a
>> Gateway utility, and ran a S.M.A.R.T. test, and another extended
>> test, and passed. I tried to write all 0's, and it failed with a
>> 'Busy Timeout' error.
>> How do I get back to the point that I can fdisk, so I can start over?
>> Or can I?
>>
>> I did make a Win 98 startup disk before I started this mess, if that
>> matters.

> Oops, failed to mention that the 'No fixed disks present' shows up after I
> type fdisk at the A:\ prompt.

Did you "Write" the new partition table in fdisk and then reboot the
computer? Then just do your "format C:" without the switches.
HTH

Aquanaut

"Retiredff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:RnfHd.10058$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...

> Retiredff wrote:
>> I have a 6+ year old Gateway that is a hand-me-down to my kid. Works
>> just fine for what she does, or it did.
>>
>> I decided to clean house, and do a fresh install of Win 98. Gateway
>> provided me with a step-by-step process to do a fdisk and format, but
>> either they left out a step, or I messed up.
>>
>> After doing the fdisk, I formatted (format C: /c/u). When I try to
>> install Win 98, I get a 'no valid FAT or FAT32 partition' message.
>> obviously, I think, it failed to set a primary partition when the
>> fdisk was done.
>> I tried to fdisk again, but I get 'No fixed disks present'. I used a
>> Gateway utility, and ran a S.M.A.R.T. test, and another extended
>> test, and passed. I tried to write all 0's, and it failed with a
>> 'Busy Timeout' error.
>> How do I get back to the point that I can fdisk, so I can start over?
>> Or can I?
>>
>> I did make a Win 98 startup disk before I started this mess, if that
>> matters.

> Oops, failed to mention that the 'No fixed disks present' shows up after I
> type fdisk at the A:\ prompt.

Best solution i can think of is reboot using your floppy boot disk
at the A: prompt type format c:
and "y" through it

Dan

"Retiredff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:a6fHd.1428$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> I have a 6+ year old Gateway that is a hand-me-down to my kid. Works just
> fine for what she does, or it did.
>
> I decided to clean house, and do a fresh install of Win 98. Gateway

provided
> me with a step-by-step process to do a fdisk and format, but either they
> left out a step, or I messed up.
>
> After doing the fdisk, I formatted (format C: /c/u). When I try to install
> Win 98, I get a 'no valid FAT or FAT32 partition' message. obviously, I
> think, it failed to set a primary partition when the fdisk was done.
>
> I tried to fdisk again, but I get 'No fixed disks present'. I used a

Gateway
> utility, and ran a S.M.A.R.T. test, and another extended test, and passed.

> tried to write all 0's, and it failed with a 'Busy Timeout' error.
>
> How do I get back to the point that I can fdisk, so I can start over? Or

can
> I?
>
> I did make a Win 98 startup disk before I started this mess, if that
> matters.

Check the bios to be sure your hard drive is recognised. Go back to fdisk
and create partition and make it active. Re-boot, Format.

Retiredff

edard wrote:
>> Oops, failed to mention that the 'No fixed disks present' shows up
>> after I type fdisk at the A:\ prompt.

> Did you "Write" the new partition table in fdisk and then reboot the
> computer? Then just do your "format C:" without the switches.
> HTH

That seems to be where the problem is. I went step-by-step, and as far as I
know, yes, I did, including the re-boot. But, somewhere along the line, it
seems that I failed to write the new table.

Retiredff

Dan wrote:
> "Retiredff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:a6fHd.1428$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
>> I decided to clean house, and do a fresh install of Win 98. Gateway
>> provided me with a step-by-step process to do a fdisk and format,
>> but either they left out a step, or I messed up.
>>
>> After doing the fdisk, I formatted (format C: /c/u). When I try to
>> install Win 98, I get a 'no valid FAT or FAT32 partition' message.
>> obviously, I think, it failed to set a primary partition when the
>> fdisk was done.
>>
>> I tried to fdisk again, but I get 'No fixed disks present'. I used a
>> Gateway utility, and ran a S.M.A.R.T. test, and another extended
>> test, and passed. I tried to write all 0's, and it failed with a
>> 'Busy Timeout' error.
>>
>> How do I get back to the point that I can fdisk, so I can start
>> over? Or can I?
>>
>> I did make a Win 98 startup disk before I started this mess, if that
>> matters.
>>

> Check the bios to be sure your hard drive is recognised. Go back to
> fdisk and create partition and make it active. Re-boot, Format.

Hard drive is there. I can't get back to fdisk. That is the problem.
Everything I try fails.

Retiredff

Aquanaut wrote:
> "Retiredff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:RnfHd.10058$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
>>

>> Retiredff wrote:
>>> I have a 6+ year old Gateway that is a hand-me-down to my kid. Works
>>> just fine for what she does, or it did.
>>>
>>> I decided to clean house, and do a fresh install of Win 98. Gateway
>>> provided me with a step-by-step process to do a fdisk and format,
>>> but either they left out a step, or I messed up.
>>>
>>> After doing the fdisk, I formatted (format C: /c/u). When I try to
>>> install Win 98, I get a 'no valid FAT or FAT32 partition' message.
>>> obviously, I think, it failed to set a primary partition when the
>>> fdisk was done.
>>> I tried to fdisk again, but I get 'No fixed disks present'. I used a
>>> Gateway utility, and ran a S.M.A.R.T. test, and another extended
>>> test, and passed. I tried to write all 0's, and it failed with a
>>> 'Busy Timeout' error.
>>> How do I get back to the point that I can fdisk, so I can start
>>> over? Or can I?
>>>
>>> I did make a Win 98 startup disk before I started this mess, if that
>>> matters.

>> Oops, failed to mention that the 'No fixed disks present' shows up
>> after I type fdisk at the A:\ prompt.
>>

> Best solution i can think of is reboot using your floppy boot disk
> at the A: prompt type format c:
> and "y" through it

Won't work. It tells me there is no partition, then at the A: prompt,
'format c:' gets me 'Format not supported on drive c:
format terminated'

edard

Retiredff wrote:

> Aquanaut wrote:
>> "Retiredff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:RnfHd.10058$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...

>>> Oops, failed to mention that the 'No fixed disks present' shows up
>>> after I type fdisk at the A:\ prompt.
>>>

>> Best solution i can think of is reboot using your floppy boot disk
>> at the A: prompt type format c:
>> and "y" through it

> Won't work. It tells me there is no partition, then at the A: prompt,
> 'format c:' gets me 'Format not supported on drive c:
> format terminated'

Hummm...sounding serious now. Find the hard drive manufacturer's site on
the net and download their troubleshooting/repair software for your drive.
Run through the tests and do a low level format then fdisk and finally
format.

Dan

"Retiredff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:6DgHd.10119$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...

> Dan wrote:
> > "Retiredff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:a6fHd.1428$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> >> I decided to clean house, and do a fresh install of Win 98. Gateway
> >> provided me with a step-by-step process to do a fdisk and format,
> >> but either they left out a step, or I messed up.
> >>
> >> After doing the fdisk, I formatted (format C: /c/u). When I try to
> >> install Win 98, I get a 'no valid FAT or FAT32 partition' message.
> >> obviously, I think, it failed to set a primary partition when the
> >> fdisk was done.
> >>
> >> I tried to fdisk again, but I get 'No fixed disks present'. I used a
> >> Gateway utility, and ran a S.M.A.R.T. test, and another extended
> >> test, and passed. I tried to write all 0's, and it failed with a
> >> 'Busy Timeout' error.
> >>
> >> How do I get back to the point that I can fdisk, so I can start
> >> over? Or can I?
> >>
> >> I did make a Win 98 startup disk before I started this mess, if that
> >> matters.
> >>

> > Check the bios to be sure your hard drive is recognised. Go back to
> > fdisk and create partition and make it active. Re-boot, Format.

> Hard drive is there. I can't get back to fdisk. That is the problem.
> Everything I try fails.
>
> Are you Booting from the A drive? I believe it should boot the start up

disk regardless.