Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Problem with Security Certificates also Windows Update software problem

Reply
Thread Tools

Problem with Security Certificates also Windows Update software problem

 
 
Happy@Camper.Com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-17-2005
Of late, my computer has been having a problem with Security Certificates.
When I go to some web sites, I get a notice saying:

Security Alert. The Security Certificate was
issued by a company you have not chosen to trust.

I view the Security Certificate, and install it. But the alerts keep coming up.
BTW, under certification path, it says;
This certificate cannot be verified up to a trusted certification authority.

Can anyone help me?

Also, I don't know if this is part of the problem, but when I go to the
Microsoft Windows Update web site, it comes back with;

Software Update Incomplete The Windows Update software did not update successfully.

I have no idea why I am having these problems.

One thing; I had tried a program; BPS Popup & Cookie Shield & Ad Blocker,
but removed it because I did not like the way it works.

I am now using Stopzilla.




 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Markus Scheible
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-17-2005
Hi user,


> I view the Security Certificate, and install it. But the alerts keep

coming up.

This may be caused from your Internet Explorer security setup - if you (or
the program you installed before) have changed the security step, these
certificates couldnt be installed even if you agree - just try to change
your security options...

> BTW, under certification path, it says;
> This certificate cannot be verified up to a trusted certification

authority.
>


afaik this has nothing to do with your problem, it is simply a hint that the
company which uses this certificate is not a proven menber like e.g.
microsoft or Adobe...



Have a nice one!

Markus


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Duane Arnold
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-17-2005
"(E-Mail Removed)" <Happy_Camper.Com> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Of late, my computer has been having a problem with Security
> Certificates. When I go to some web sites, I get a notice saying:
>
> Security Alert. The Security Certificate was
> issued by a company you have not chosen to trust.
>
> I view the Security Certificate, and install it. But the alerts keep
> coming up. BTW, under certification path, it says;
> This certificate cannot be verified up to a trusted certification
> authority.
>


> Can anyone help me?



The above means that the certificate is not a certifiable certificate from
a company such as VerSign or others that provide such services. It means
the browser goes to a Website such as VerSign to verify that the
certificate used by a Web site was issued by a security company.

http://www.verisign.com/

Web sites may not have the $$$$ for a VerSign certificate or certificates
from other security companies and there is nothing wrong with that. The Web
site is doing certificate authentication with their certificate and that's
a good thing.

>
> Also, I don't know if this is part of the problem, but when I go to
> the Microsoft Windows Update web site, it comes back with;
>
> Software Update Incomplete The Windows Update
> software did not update successfully.
>
> I have no idea why I am having these problems.
>
> One thing; I had tried a program; BPS Popup & Cookie Shield & Ad
> Blocker, but removed it because I did not like the way it works.
>
> I am now using Stopzilla.


You can try stopping all programs that are running and try the update
again. It could be some program is holding on to resources that the update
wants to use, but it cannot complete the update because of the conflict. It
may or many not work for you.
>


Duane

 
Reply With Quote
 
ng_reader
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-17-2005
Me too,

Microsoft Knowledge Base (KB) Article Q174360 was supposed to fix it.

It didn't.

I'm thinking of un-installing IE and then re-installing it.

But, frankly, you get what you pay for, and, IE is free. Of course.




"(E-Mail Removed)" <Happy_Camper.Com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Of late, my computer has been having a problem with Security

Certificates.
> When I go to some web sites, I get a notice saying:
>
> Security Alert. The Security Certificate was
> issued by a company you have not chosen to trust.
>
> I view the Security Certificate, and install it. But the alerts keep

coming up.
> BTW, under certification path, it says;
> This certificate cannot be verified up to a trusted certification

authority.
>
> Can anyone help me?
>
> Also, I don't know if this is part of the problem, but when I go to the
> Microsoft Windows Update web site, it comes back with;
>
> Software Update Incomplete The Windows Update

software did not update successfully.
>
> I have no idea why I am having these problems.
>
> One thing; I had tried a program; BPS Popup & Cookie Shield & Ad

Blocker,
> but removed it because I did not like the way it works.
>
> I am now using Stopzilla.
>
>
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Happy@Camper.Com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-18-2005

Register dll files:
===================
1. Quit all programs that are running.

2. Click Start, and then click Run. Please type the following command one by one and click Ok for each command:

REGSVR32 SOFTPUB.DLL
REGSVR32 URLMON.DLL
REGSVR32 WINTRUST.DLL
REGSVR32 INITPKI.DLL
REGSVR32 RSAENH.DLL
REGSVR32 MSSIP32.DLL
REGSVR32 CRYPTDLG.DLL
REGSVR32 DSSBASE.DLL


>
> Also, I don't know if this is part of the problem, but when I go to the
> Microsoft Windows Update web site, it comes back with;
>
> Software Update Incomplete The Windows Update software did not update successfully.
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Update On The Windows Phone 7 Update Update Lawrence D'Oliveiro NZ Computing 2 02-25-2011 08:03 AM
Re: UPDATE: They didn't only pledge allegiance to Mex flag: anchor babies in TX *also* shouted "RAZA! RAZA!" in US school also tedorn44@hotmail.com Digital Photography 9 10-21-2006 11:12 AM
Are SSL certificates and x.509 certificates the same? n33470 ASP .Net Web Services 0 12-14-2005 03:30 PM
Self-issued certificates and commercial certificates. Lord Amoeba Computer Security 2 05-05-2004 01:40 PM



Advertisments