Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > wipe hard drive clean

wipe hard drive clean

jim

how do I wipe the hard drive clean ?
running windows 95
Giving computer away

Toolman Tim

"jim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsBBGd.16210$(E-Mail Removed). ..
| how do I wipe the hard drive clean ?
| running windows 95
| Giving computer away

I've previously downloaded a small program called wipedisk.exe that runs
from a bootable floppy disk that does just that. I think it was here:
http://www.fhpv.unipo.sk/cvt/NC/
It erases the HD to military specs - no possible chance for recovery. Norton
Utilities also ships with a program like that.

Toolman Tim

news:VNBGd.15361$(E-Mail Removed)...

| "jim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| newsBBGd.16210$(E-Mail Removed). ..
|| how do I wipe the hard drive clean ?
|| running windows 95
|| Giving computer away
| I've previously downloaded a small program called wipedisk.exe that runs
| from a bootable floppy disk that does just that. I think it was here:
| http://www.fhpv.unipo.sk/cvt/NC/
| It erases the HD to military specs - no possible chance for recovery.
Norton
| Utilities also ships with a program like that.

Okay that one *is* Norton's wipedisk - version 4.5. It may have some
incompatibilities with larger drives, since it was written so long ago.

Here are other options:
http://www.killdisk.com/
http://dban.sourceforge.net/

John Holmes

jim came up with this:

> how do I wipe the hard drive clean ?
> running windows 95
> Giving computer away

Try this solution. It rocks. Really.

http://nolte-net.de/en/article/lego_disk.html

--
-John Holmes-

"It ain't much, if it ain't Dutch..."

Toolman Tim

"John Holmes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns95E0F13658E2Ajohnanonymouscunt@192.168.0.1 01...
| jim came up with this:
|
| > how do I wipe the hard drive clean ?
| > running windows 95
| > Giving computer away
| >

| Try this solution. It rocks. Really.
|
| http://nolte-net.de/en/article/lego_disk.html

Wow! Those guys are really *good*! <g>

John Holmes

Toolman Tim came up with this:

> "John Holmes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns95E0F13658E2Ajohnanonymouscunt@192.168.0.1 01...
>| jim came up with this:
>|
>| > how do I wipe the hard drive clean ?
>| > running windows 95
>| > Giving computer away
>| >

>| Try this solution. It rocks. Really.
>|
>| http://nolte-net.de/en/article/lego_disk.html
>|
> Wow! Those guys are really *good*! <g>

--
-John Holmes-

"It ain't much, if it ain't Dutch..."

jim

Thanks "Toolman"
Worked fine
Jim

news:GZBGd.15366$(E-Mail Removed)...

> news:VNBGd.15361$(E-Mail Removed)...
> |
> | "jim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> | newsBBGd.16210$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> || how do I wipe the hard drive clean ?
> || running windows 95
> || Giving computer away
> | I've previously downloaded a small program called wipedisk.exe that runs
> | from a bootable floppy disk that does just that. I think it was here:
> | http://www.fhpv.unipo.sk/cvt/NC/
> | It erases the HD to military specs - no possible chance for recovery.
> Norton
> | Utilities also ships with a program like that.
>
> Okay that one *is* Norton's wipedisk - version 4.5. It may have some
> incompatibilities with larger drives, since it was written so long ago.
>
> Here are other options:
> http://www.killdisk.com/
> http://dban.sourceforge.net/

Toolman Tim

You're welcome. (I keep a disk handy for that same exact
purpose...'retiring' computers at work have to be 'secure' before getting
rid of them.)

"jim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:6KCGd.17627$(E-Mail Removed).. .
| Thanks "Toolman"
| Worked fine
| Jim
|
| "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| news:GZBGd.15366$(E-Mail Removed)...
| >
| > "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| > news:VNBGd.15361$(E-Mail Removed)...
| > |
| > | "jim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| > | newsBBGd.16210$(E-Mail Removed). ..
| > ||
| > | I've previously downloaded a small program called wipedisk.exe that
runs
| > | from a bootable floppy disk that does just that. I think it was here:
| > | http://www.fhpv.unipo.sk/cvt/NC/
| > | It erases the HD to military specs - no possible chance for recovery.
| > Norton
| > | Utilities also ships with a program like that.
| >
| > Okay that one *is* Norton's wipedisk - version 4.5. It may have some
| > incompatibilities with larger drives, since it was written so long ago.
| >
| > Here are other options:
| > http://www.killdisk.com/
| > http://dban.sourceforge.net/

Richard

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 17:13:12 -0500 jim wrote:

> how do I wipe the hard drive clean ?
> running windows 95
> Giving computer away

Go out and buy a dirt cheap 40gig hard drive, swap drives.
Keep the original.

Aquanaut

"jim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsBBGd.16210$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> how do I wipe the hard drive clean ?
> running windows 95
> Giving computer away

In real terms just format the damn thing---if you worked for nasa etc,you
would not be allowed to give the pc away.
It takes loads of work (and why would the end user want to?) to recover data
from a formatted drive----If data paranoia is your thing-just buy a new
drive for it,and destroy yours.