Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Question about older PC-based game - Freedom Force

Question about older PC-based game - Freedom Force

Sens Fan Happy In Ohio

I'm not sure if anyone can help me out here, but I don't know what "gaming"
group on Usenet to post this in and the few I have posted it to have not
answered ... so I am trying here. I am having an issue with my Electronic
Arts game called "Freedom Force." I have installed it on a PC that operates
Win XP SP-2 using a 3Ghz P4 and 256 RAM. I'm not sure about the video or
soundcard on that system, but I know they are not name-brand items. The
game runs perfectly except at shutdown when it sort of gets stuck closing,
errors out and causes some kind of an issue that Win XP thinks it needs to
send to Microsoft. Well that's not a big deal.

BUT ... when I try to install the very same game on a Win XP SP-2 machine
running an Athlon 750Mhz with 512 RAM the game crashes before it even loads
up. On this system it's got a NVIDIA GeForce2 MX400 video card with a
Creative Soundblaster Live! soundcard. Strange things is this game has
worked on this same sytem before, except for it was not Windows XP with SP-2
installed. Yet on the first system it does have SP-2 and works fine.
Drivers on the NVIDIA and the Soundblaster are up to date. In fact I even
tried to install the original drivers for my NVIDIA card and still it
crashed.

And yes, I've even tried all possible configs inside of Win XP of the
compatability issues and nothing. Yet on the 1st PC (the P4 3Ghz) I did not
have to config anything except inside of the game once it loaded I set the
resolution to 800x600x32 and changed the sound from none to Hardware
emulation. I can't even get that far in the Athlon PC.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! This has me totally stumped!!

--
Kyle

$1million US dollars to sensfan_luvslisa (at) yahoo (dot) ca. Change the
reply. Money gets faster attention

nogeekatall

"Sens Fan Happy In Ohio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm not sure if anyone can help me out here, but I don't know what
> "gaming" group on Usenet to post this in and the few I have posted it to
> have not answered ... so I am trying here. I am having an issue with my
> Electronic Arts game called "Freedom Force." I have installed it on a PC
> that operates Win XP SP-2 using a 3Ghz P4 and 256 RAM. I'm not sure about
> the video or soundcard on that system, but I know they are not name-brand
> items. The game runs perfectly except at shutdown when it sort of gets
> stuck closing, errors out and causes some kind of an issue that Win XP
> thinks it needs to send to Microsoft. Well that's not a big deal.
>
> BUT ... when I try to install the very same game on a Win XP SP-2 machine
> running an Athlon 750Mhz with 512 RAM the game crashes before it even
> loads up. On this system it's got a NVIDIA GeForce2 MX400 video card with
> a Creative Soundblaster Live! soundcard. Strange things is this game has
> worked on this same sytem before, except for it was not Windows XP with
> SP-2 installed. Yet on the first system it does have SP-2 and works fine.
> Drivers on the NVIDIA and the Soundblaster are up to date. In fact I even
> tried to install the original drivers for my NVIDIA card and still it
> crashed.
>
> And yes, I've even tried all possible configs inside of Win XP of the
> compatability issues and nothing. Yet on the 1st PC (the P4 3Ghz) I did
> not have to config anything except inside of the game once it loaded I set
> the resolution to 800x600x32 and changed the sound from none to Hardware
> emulation. I can't even get that far in the Athlon PC.
>
> Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! This has me totally stumped!!

Have you looked for any updates to the game?

Slother

"Sens Fan Happy In Ohio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| I'm not sure if anyone can help me out here, but I don't know what "gaming"
| group on Usenet to post this in and the few I have posted it to have not
| answered ... so I am trying here. I am having an issue with my Electronic
| Arts game called "Freedom Force." I have installed it on a PC that operates
| Win XP SP-2 using a 3Ghz P4 and 256 RAM. I'm not sure about the video or
| soundcard on that system, but I know they are not name-brand items. The
| game runs perfectly except at shutdown when it sort of gets stuck closing,
| errors out and causes some kind of an issue that Win XP thinks it needs to
| send to Microsoft. Well that's not a big deal.
|
| BUT ... when I try to install the very same game on a Win XP SP-2 machine
| running an Athlon 750Mhz with 512 RAM the game crashes before it even loads
| up. On this system it's got a NVIDIA GeForce2 MX400 video card with a
| Creative Soundblaster Live! soundcard. Strange things is this game has
| worked on this same sytem before, except for it was not Windows XP with SP-2
| installed. Yet on the first system it does have SP-2 and works fine.
| Drivers on the NVIDIA and the Soundblaster are up to date. In fact I even
| tried to install the original drivers for my NVIDIA card and still it
| crashed.
|
| And yes, I've even tried all possible configs inside of Win XP of the
| compatability issues and nothing. Yet on the 1st PC (the P4 3Ghz) I did not
| have to config anything except inside of the game once it loaded I set the
| resolution to 800x600x32 and changed the sound from none to Hardware
| emulation. I can't even get that far in the Athlon PC.
|
| Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! This has me totally stumped!!
|

| --
| Kyle
|
| Reply address is fake. Please send all praise, abuse, insults, bequests of
| $1million US dollars to sensfan_luvslisa (at) yahoo (dot) ca. Change the
| obvious to the obvious. Oh, and if you must abuse or insult, don't expect a
| reply. Money gets faster attention

I had the same problem. with my geforce4 mx 440 and althlon 1.2 ghz cpu and freedom force. under winxp sp2
as I did not find a solution on the web I gave the game the boot. it may be the cpu or the vid card. but in my case it was the vid
card. because the game would actually run. but there where very bad graphical errors. as I got the same "hall of mirrors" effect you
get from the old days when trying to program new
levels for doom 1 and you forget to add a wall texture. (those who have made doom levels know of this effect) I know this may not
help but at least your not alone

Slother

"nogeekatall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:3dhGd.7824$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...

| "Sens Fan Happy In Ohio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| > I'm not sure if anyone can help me out here, but I don't know what
| > "gaming" group on Usenet to post this in and the few I have posted it to
| > have not answered ... so I am trying here. I am having an issue with my
| > Electronic Arts game called "Freedom Force." I have installed it on a PC
| > that operates Win XP SP-2 using a 3Ghz P4 and 256 RAM. I'm not sure about
| > the video or soundcard on that system, but I know they are not name-brand
| > items. The game runs perfectly except at shutdown when it sort of gets
| > stuck closing, errors out and causes some kind of an issue that Win XP
| > thinks it needs to send to Microsoft. Well that's not a big deal.
| >
| > BUT ... when I try to install the very same game on a Win XP SP-2 machine
| > running an Athlon 750Mhz with 512 RAM the game crashes before it even
| > loads up. On this system it's got a NVIDIA GeForce2 MX400 video card with
| > a Creative Soundblaster Live! soundcard. Strange things is this game has
| > worked on this same sytem before, except for it was not Windows XP with
| > SP-2 installed. Yet on the first system it does have SP-2 and works fine.
| > Drivers on the NVIDIA and the Soundblaster are up to date. In fact I even
| > tried to install the original drivers for my NVIDIA card and still it
| > crashed.
| >
| > And yes, I've even tried all possible configs inside of Win XP of the
| > compatability issues and nothing. Yet on the 1st PC (the P4 3Ghz) I did
| > not have to config anything except inside of the game once it loaded I set
| > the resolution to 800x600x32 and changed the sound from none to Hardware
| > emulation. I can't even get that far in the Athlon PC.
| >
| > Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! This has me totally stumped!!
|
| Have you looked for any updates to the game?

because the game is no longer supported by EA there where none when I looked for them aprox 4 months ago

Sens Fan Happy In Ohio

In news:(E-Mail Removed), Slother <(E-Mail Removed)>
first attempted to communicate with pen, but the writing was small, so next
used sidewalk chalk, but the rain washed it away, and then switched to spray
paint and stencils but the cans exploded, so placed fingers to keyboard for
this:

> I had the same problem. with my geforce4 mx 440 and althlon 1.2 ghz
> cpu and freedom force. under winxp sp2
> as I did not find a solution on the web I gave the game the boot. it
> may be the cpu or the vid card. but in my case it was the vid card.
> because the game would actually run. but there where very bad
> graphical errors. as I got the same "hall of mirrors" effect you get
> from the old days when trying to program new
> levels for doom 1 and you forget to add a wall texture. (those who
> have made doom levels know of this effect) I know this may not help
> but at least your not alone

Nope, doesn't help but it does tell me that more than likely the trouble is
in my drivers as I assumed. Something about the newer ones must be
affecting it as about a year or two ago I had the game running fine on the
same video and sound card. I haven't played it for a year now, re-formatted
my HDD two weeks ago and went to download new drivers and this is when the
trouble began.

So ... here's a thought. Since the old video card drivers didn't seem to
solve it ... maybe the old video and sound drivers might? Just a hunch.

nogeekatall

"Slother" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> because the game is no longer supported by EA there where none when I
> looked for them aprox 4 months ago

try here: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/freedomforce/

or post your question here: http://p083.ezboard.com/fskindexfrm47

Slother

"nogeekatall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:MLuGd.8819$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...

| "Slother" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| news:(E-Mail Removed)...
|
| > because the game is no longer supported by EA there where none when I
| > looked for them aprox 4 months ago
|
| try here: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/freedomforce/
|
| or post your question here: http://p083.ezboard.com/fskindexfrm47

tried the link to game spot and downloaded the 1.2 patch. now the game won't run at all anyone know of a 1.3 patch?

Sens Fan Happy In Ohio

In news:(E-Mail Removed), Slother <(E-Mail Removed)>
first attempted to communicate with pen, but the writing was small, so next
used sidewalk chalk, but the rain washed it away, and then switched to spray
paint and stencils but the cans exploded, so placed fingers to keyboard for
this:

> tried the link to game spot and downloaded the 1.2 patch. now the
> game won't run at all anyone know of a 1.3 patch?

They never made a patch 1.3, or so I was told by someone from the Gamespy
board. Still trying to solve my issue about the drivers on my Athlon PC.
When does yours quit and how?

Slother

"Sens Fan Happy In Ohio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| In news:(E-Mail Removed), Slother <(E-Mail Removed)>
| first attempted to communicate with pen, but the writing was small, so next
| used sidewalk chalk, but the rain washed it away, and then switched to spray
| paint and stencils but the cans exploded, so placed fingers to keyboard for
| this:
| >>
| > tried the link to game spot and downloaded the 1.2 patch. now the
| > game won't run at all anyone know of a 1.3 patch?
|
| They never made a patch 1.3, or so I was told by someone from the Gamespy
| board. Still trying to solve my issue about the drivers on my Athlon PC.
| When does yours quit and how?

Mine quits after turning the screen black, then it shows a black square. for example the, (I would assume,) same black that the full
screen was showing. just before the crash. then I get to send a lovely report to Microsoft as I get the error "freedom force
encountered a problem and needs to close, we are sorry for the inconvenience" but after the install of the patch and just before the
initial run it tells me that my OS is in compatible with this game. (same reason I gave the game the heave hoe four months ago.)

Sens Fan Happy In Ohio

In news:(E-Mail Removed), Slother <(E-Mail Removed)>
first attempted to communicate with pen, but the writing was small, so next
used sidewalk chalk, but the rain washed it away, and then switched to spray
paint and stencils but the cans exploded, so placed fingers to keyboard for
this:

> Mine quits after turning the screen black, then it shows a black
> square. for example the, (I would assume,) same black that the full
> screen was showing. just before the crash. then I get to send a
> lovely report to Microsoft as I get the error "freedom force
> encountered a problem and needs to close, we are sorry for the
> inconvenience" but after the install of the patch and just before the
> initial run it tells me that my OS is in compatible with this game.
> (same reason I gave the game the heave hoe four months ago.)

That's what happens to mine as well ... goes black and begins to load, then
crashes out to a black screen about 1/3rd to 1/4 of the original size of my
screen followed by Microsoft's warning. When I loaded FF the first time on
my system I had that same warning ... but not the second time around. And
so far none of the tricks with compatability work whatsoever. And all of
this is even before loading the 1.2 patch.