Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > CD-ROMs not working

CD-ROMs not working

Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt

Hi,

I am using Win98SE and have two CD-ROMs. One used to show whilst the
other did not. Both used to open up to receive the CD but would not
read.

Driver corruption is showing as Driver missing.

Floppy disc drive is also not working. It seems I might have to
reformat my computer. What is the best way to transfer data to another
computer with Win98SE?

Rajinder

F1

Have you tried reinstalling the IDE drivers and chipset drivers for you
brand of motherboard

F1's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=128
View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=80202

Walter Mautner

Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am using Win98SE and have two CD-ROMs. One used to show whilst the
> other did not. Both used to open up to receive the CD but would not
> read.
>
> Driver corruption is showing as Driver missing.
>
> Floppy disc drive is also not working. It seems I might have to
> reformat my computer. What is the best way to transfer data to another
> computer with Win98SE?

Either your hardware is b0rken or your registry. If you have a bootable
win98 start floppy and try to start from that one "with cd support" it only
uses DOS and you can test the hardware. Same goes (except testing the
floppy) for your win98 bootable install cd.
So the best you can try is start from the dos boot floppy you got with your
windows, chose "CD support" from the boot menu and then try to read from
the cdrom(s).
If that works, your registry is to blame and you can come back here.
*to*remove*offending*incompatible*products.**Reactivate*MS*software.
Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.10-mm1[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

Ganesh

> Floppy disc drive is also not working. It seems I might have to
> reformat my computer. What is the best way to transfer data to another
> computer with Win98SE?

USB: Use external usb hard disk, USB thumb drives, USB cd writer
IDE: connect another cd writer and burn to cds
ETHERNET: transfer files to another pc using a network cable
and if all else fails..
INTERNET: use msn/ftp to send the files to another person/backup system

--
Visit My Website - http://www.bootstrike.com
"Life's a btch when you least expect it

Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt

Hi,

I can't because my floppy drive and CD-ROM drive does not work. I can
download the drivers from web sites if you can help?

Rajinder

"F1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Have you tried reinstalling the IDE drivers and chipset drivers for

your
> brand of motherboard?
>

> --
> F1

> F1's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=1282
> View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=802023

Walter Mautner

Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I can't because my floppy drive and CD-ROM drive does not work. I can
> download the drivers from web sites if you can help?

Do you have a bootfloppy (win9 with "realmode" cdrom drivers, or at least
a bootable win98 install cd? Just to check if your drives are broken?