Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Will formatting a drive allways get rid of a virus?

Will formatting a drive allways get rid of a virus?

Toolman Tim

"Sash" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cs7b7f$n7b$(E-Mail Removed)...

| "Richard" <Anonymous@127.001> wrote in message
| news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| >
| > "Rgr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

| >> As lookout mentioned, formatting does not remove everything. Chances
are
| >> probably better than 99% that formatting will get rid of your virus,
but
| >> if you want that to be 100% sure then do a wipe of the drive. See the
| >> link below:
| >>
| >> http://www.digitalissues.co.uk/html/...-wipe-zap.html
| >
| > Good idea. Limited to 8 gigs though.
| > If it's a maxtor, they have a utility to reset the entire drive back to
| > factory settings.
| > Including partitions!
| > If you really want to clean house, that's the way to do it.
|
| Mine is a Dell.

"Maxtor" is a brand of HARD DRIVE...like Seagate, Western Digital, Quantum,
Samsung, Hitachi, etc. Dell is a brand of computer. Dell buys hard drives
from Seagate and others. You can find out what kind of drive you have
(search on Google for Everest Home Edition), and get the utilities from the
drive manufacturer to fully wipe and low level format your hard drive.

It is possible for 'boot sector' viruses to remain in your computer after a
standard erase/reinstall of Windows. And, any floppy disks (or possibly CD's
you've burned) since you first received the virus to carry that, and put it
right back on your system. So SCAN all your recent disks!!!

Yoshifusa Hira

Al Klein wrote:

> <replonk>

I just adore how you plonk with such religious conviction.

> --
> "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from
> religious conviction."
> - Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)
> (random sig, produced by SigChanger)
> rukbat at verizon dot net

Lookout

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 15:49:15 +0000 (UTC), "David Hemingsley"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Yes because it totally blanks your harddrive
>"Sash" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:cs5kfi$hib$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I just had a terrible infection, and I want to know if formatting a hard
>>drive will 100% get rid of these viruses.
>>
>> Thanks

Let's review. Formatting a drive will get rid of 99% of viruses.
HOWEVER if it is a boot sector virus you must do a low level format.
This info is available from your hard drive manufacturer. If you put a
disk in the drive and accessed it this can also get infected so the
next time you use that disk you get the virus back again. ANY disk you
have used since the virus is suspect. And you can't clean a disk from
and infected computer.
My advise is to contact the manufacturer and get a disk that will do a
low level format. ALL HD manufacturers have them. It is done with
simple DOS commands and the instructions are pretty easy to
understand. You have shown some aptitude for computers so I'm sure you
can handle it. Then THROW OUT any disk you have used lately. Or take
them to school or work and see if anyone from IS has a **** fit in the
next few days.

Lookout

Sash

"Lookout" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 15:49:15 +0000 (UTC), "David Hemingsley"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Yes because it totally blanks your harddrive
>>"Sash" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:cs5kfi$hib$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I just had a terrible infection, and I want to know if formatting a hard
>>>drive will 100% get rid of these viruses.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>

> Let's review. Formatting a drive will get rid of 99% of viruses.

I am wanting 100% certainty, this is a mechanical physical entity and we
therefore should have control and
dominance over that which we use. I am not ever going through this
absolutely horrendous experience again and have that
out of control feeling.

> HOWEVER if it is a boot sector virus you must do a low level format.

Will that work if I kneel down in front of my keyboard?

> This info is available from your hard drive manufacturer.

Sorry for above quip, if it was out of place! What is a low level format?
Can you tell me how to done? Is it the same as just writting zeros and
numbers to
the disc? I can use Dareks Boot and Nuke? Is that the same as a low level
format?

If you put a disk in the drive and accessed it this can also get infected
so the
> next time you use that disk you get the virus back again.

I use CDR windows xp installation disc, so as it is read only does that mean
it cannot get infected, I think I am right in saying it is 100% impossible
to infect a Read only CD right?

ANY disk you have used since the virus is suspect. And you can't clean a
disk from
> and infected computer.

That is with regard CDRW...Hmm, that is a good point. I have backed up my
stuff on CDRW discs.

> My advise is to contact the manufacturer and get a disk that will do a
> low level format.

I don't have time for that, especially by the time I figured out how to
contact them I could have found out and done it myself. Further more it is a
Dell and so the instructions should be online.

ALL HD manufacturers have them. It is done with simple DOS commands and the
instructions are pretty easy to
> understand. You have shown some aptitude for computers so I'm sure you
> can handle it. Then THROW OUT any disk you have used lately. Or take
> them to school or work and see if anyone from IS has a **** fit in the
> next few days.
>
> Lookout

Hey, thanks for your help! This virus has driven me to distraction, I have
lost days and more importantly lost data! Thanks

Toolman Tim

"Lookout" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 15:49:15 +0000 (UTC), "David Hemingsley"
| <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
|
| >Yes because it totally blanks your harddrive
| >"Sash" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| >news:cs5kfi$hib$(E-Mail Removed)...
| >>I just had a terrible infection, and I want to know if formatting a hard
| >>drive will 100% get rid of these viruses.
| >>
| >> Thanks
| >>

| Let's review. Formatting a drive will get rid of 99% of viruses.
| HOWEVER if it is a boot sector virus you must do a low level format.
| This info is available from your hard drive manufacturer. If you put a
| disk in the drive and accessed it this can also get infected so the
| next time you use that disk you get the virus back again. ANY disk you
| have used since the virus is suspect. And you can't clean a disk from
| and infected computer.
| My advise is to contact the manufacturer and get a disk that will do a
| low level format. ALL HD manufacturers have them. It is done with
| simple DOS commands and the instructions are pretty easy to
| understand. You have shown some aptitude for computers so I'm sure you
| can handle it. Then THROW OUT any disk you have used lately. Or take
| them to school or work and see if anyone from IS has a **** fit in the
| next few days.

If it weren't for the fact that I'd end up cleaning up the mess myself, I've
got a couple coworkers I'd *love* to dump an infected disk on <g>

Toolman Tim

<snip>

| I use CDR windows xp installation disc, so as it is read only does that
mean
| it cannot get infected, I think I am right in saying it is 100% impossible
| to infect a Read only CD right?

IF that disc was created BEFORE you got the virus, you're okay. If not,
you'd better find a different one. (If it was made by Microsoft or Dell,
don't worry about it!)

| > My advise is to contact the manufacturer and get a disk that will do a
| > low level format.
|
| I don't have time for that, especially by the time I figured out how to
| contact them I could have found out and done it myself. Further more it is
| Dell and so the instructions should be online.

Dell doesn't supply information on how to low level format a hard drive.
They didn't *make* the hard drive. They bought a brand-name drive, and put
it in the machine.

<snip>

Sash

newsjHFd.6512$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Sash" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:cs7b7f$n7b$(E-Mail Removed)...
> |
> | "Richard" <Anonymous@127.001> wrote in message
> | news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> | >
> | > "Rgr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> | > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> are
> but

> | > Good idea. Limited to 8 gigs though.
> | > If it's a maxtor, they have a utility to reset the entire drive back
> | > factory settings.
> | > Including partitions!
> | > If you really want to clean house, that's the way to do it.
> |
> | Mine is a Dell.
> |
> "Maxtor" is a brand of HARD DRIVE...like Seagate, Western Digital,
> Quantum,
> Samsung, Hitachi, etc. Dell is a brand of computer. Dell buys hard drives
> from Seagate and others. You can find out what kind of drive you have
> (search on Google for Everest Home Edition), and get the utilities from
> the
> drive manufacturer to fully wipe and low level format your hard drive.

Ohhh I see what your saying!! I thought wrongly that Dell manufactured the
hard disc as well. Thanks for your tip. So you are saying
I can get the "utility from the internet". I still have not figured out how
to get Dell telephone support. Sounds stupid but I dont have that number.
All I can find is their support email thing which is wasted time, I have to
dig out my PC id number then send it to them and hten one day they might
reply but it usually is with a boiler plate reply....probably they are
better if giving a chance..but I need to get the info pronto to avoid a
repeat of this dreadful episode in my IT history.

> It is possible for 'boot sector' viruses to remain in your computer after
> standard erase/reinstall of Windows.

NOOOOOOO how can this be possible?? WHO does this viruses, I really think
those virus wirtters are lucky I am not the president of a country, if I was
president of a country I would set up a virus task force and imprison virus
writters with mandatory minimum sentences, I would spend my days thinking up
cruel and unusually punishments.

And, any floppy disks (or possibly CD's you've burned) since you first
received the virus to carry that, and put it
> right back on your system. So SCAN all your recent disks!!!

I have I have but I have lost trust and faith in virus scanners I had a
virus and every single online virus scan did not detect it at all, it was
only a firewall installed at the advice kindly given on this ng that found
it, goodness knows what was happening before I got a firewall? I keep credit
card info and all kinds of important documents here on this pc.

Thankyou for your help and advice

Peter

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 02:29:53 -0000, "Sash" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>So then would this rewrite absolutely any possible area that a virus can
>possible get, so as a super last resort would this absolutely without any
>shadow of a doubt
>get rid of any possible virus that could ever conceivable possible remotely
>have become spread to some nether regions of the system?

There is the ever so slight possibility that remnants of a virus left
in a cluster which is allocated byt not written could cause problems
later, but this would be more by chance than something which could be
exploited. Of course writing zeroes on the whole HD as suggested by
others would give that confidence.

>So are you saying a "format" does not actually completely destroy
>everything?

That is right.

>Is it possible to still get a virus back after a "format"?

Yes if it is a 'boot sector' virus although these do not seem to be as
common as they were in the pre internet days. It is most probable
that a fdisk /MBR will successfully clobber a boot sector virus
without needing to re-format, unless there are other viruses in the
partition.

>Thanks for your reply, its appreciated, you can't believe the trouble I have
>had today..

By the way I should have said to ensure any boot floppy is not
infected and boot up with the 'read only' tab set.

Incidentally I could not 'clean' a virus as it kept spreading
indfection as quickly as anti-virus could clear it. Installing the
hard disk as a temporary second drive in another machine for cleaning
up overcomes this and the risk of re-infecting the other machine
should be minimal as long as nothing on the disk is opened or
executed.

Toolman Tim

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 02:29:53 -0000, "Sash" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
|

| >So then would this rewrite absolutely any possible area that a virus can
| >possible get, so as a super last resort would this absolutely without any
| >shadow of a doubt
| >get rid of any possible virus that could ever conceivable possible
remotely
| >have become spread to some nether regions of the system?
| >
| There is the ever so slight possibility that remnants of a virus left
| in a cluster which is allocated byt not written could cause problems
| later, but this would be more by chance than something which could be
| exploited. Of course writing zeroes on the whole HD as suggested by
| others would give that confidence.
| >
| >So are you saying a "format" does not actually completely destroy
| >everything?
| That is right.
|
| >Is it possible to still get a virus back after a "format"?
| >
| Yes if it is a 'boot sector' virus although these do not seem to be as
| common as they were in the pre internet days. It is most probable
| that a fdisk /MBR will successfully clobber a boot sector virus
| without needing to re-format, unless there are other viruses in the
| partition.
|
| >Thanks for your reply, its appreciated, you can't believe the trouble I
have
| >had today..
| >
| By the way I should have said to ensure any boot floppy is not
| infected and boot up with the 'read only' tab set.
|
| Incidentally I could not 'clean' a virus as it kept spreading
| indfection as quickly as anti-virus could clear it. Installing the
| hard disk as a temporary second drive in another machine for cleaning
| up overcomes this and the risk of re-infecting the other machine
| should be minimal as long as nothing on the disk is opened or
| executed.

One caveat there, Peter...I've done that also, but on one severely infected
HD, the AV scan, removed many of the files in the XP OS that were infected,
and left the HD unable to boot when I returned it to the original PC.
(Okay - it had about 15 different viruses, and over 3500 files infected...it
really needed to be erased and re-setup anyway <g>!)

Lookout

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 20:28:45 -0800, "Toolman Tim"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Lookout" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>| On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 15:49:15 +0000 (UTC), "David Hemingsley"
>| <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>|
>| >Yes because it totally blanks your harddrive
>| >"Sash" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>| >news:cs5kfi$hib$(E-Mail Removed)...

>| Let's review. Formatting a drive will get rid of 99% of viruses.
>| HOWEVER if it is a boot sector virus you must do a low level format.
>| This info is available from your hard drive manufacturer. If you put a
>| disk in the drive and accessed it this can also get infected so the
>| next time you use that disk you get the virus back again. ANY disk you
>| have used since the virus is suspect. And you can't clean a disk from
>| and infected computer.
>| My advise is to contact the manufacturer and get a disk that will do a
>| low level format. ALL HD manufacturers have them. It is done with
>| simple DOS commands and the instructions are pretty easy to
>| understand. You have shown some aptitude for computers so I'm sure you
>| can handle it. Then THROW OUT any disk you have used lately. Or take
>| them to school or work and see if anyone from IS has a **** fit in the
>| next few days.
>|
>If it weren't for the fact that I'd end up cleaning up the mess myself, I've
>got a couple coworkers I'd *love* to dump an infected disk on <g>

I knew someone would like that one