Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Best copying/burning software

Best copying/burning software

Murgi

Hi,
I have a dictionary CD (made 10 years ago) which I want to copy (burn) with
the newest version of Nero. Nero stops after 10% in the burning process...
What is the best CD/DVD opying/burning software nowadays that might work?
I found umpteen programs on the net that promise all the same... but I don't
have the time to try all of them.
Any good lead will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Murgi

Win

Try copying the whole CD to the HDD
I'd think the CD was at fault not Nero???
Win
"Murgi" <rp0000000013@127.0.0.1:7501> wrote in message

> Hi,
> I have a dictionary CD (made 10 years ago) which I want to copy (burn)
> with
> the newest version of Nero. Nero stops after 10% in the burning process...
> What is the best CD/DVD opying/burning software nowadays that might work?
> I found umpteen programs on the net that promise all the same... but I
> don't
> have the time to try all of them.
> Any good lead will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Murgi

> News==----
> Newsgroups
> =---

Toolman Tim

I think she wants to copy a CD. But I'm not sure, 'cause she says it was
made 10 years ago. Maybe it's a commercial dictionary program? If so, it's
probably copyrighted anyway. And you're right - maybe the original CD is
damaged. Copying the entire CD to a folder on the HD would 1) test the CD,
2) put everything on the HD to burn from, rather than having to read one CD,
then write to the other. (Of course, most CD writing software includes the
option to 'copy to disk' before burning anyway - usually a real good idea.)

"Win" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:2bjFd.7500$(E-Mail Removed)...
| Try copying the whole CD to the HDD
| I'd think the CD was at fault not Nero???
| Win
| "Murgi" <rp0000000013@127.0.0.1:7501> wrote in message
| >
| > Hi,
| > I have a dictionary CD (made 10 years ago) which I want to copy (burn)
| > with
| > the newest version of Nero. Nero stops after 10% in the burning
process...
| > What is the best CD/DVD opying/burning software nowadays that might
work?
| > I found umpteen programs on the net that promise all the same... but I
| > don't
| > have the time to try all of them.
| > Any good lead will be appreciated.
| >
| > Thanks,
| > Murgi

| > News==----
| > http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000
| > Newsgroups
| > ---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via
Encryption
| > =---

Murgi

>I think she wants to copy a CD. But I'm not sure, 'cause she says it was

>made 10 years ago. Maybe it's a commercial dictionary program? If so, it's

probably copyrighted anyway. And you're right - maybe the original CD is
damaged.

Yes, it's a CD (700MB filled up) and I bought the CD around 1993. Since I
work in two locations, I want to make images of all my original software
programs to have them accessible anytime I need them. This CD is OK since
I have just installed it again on my machine.

When copying, I get an error after a couple of files have been copied to
the hard drive. It says:
Cannot copy UROQFFOD
Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

Any ideas how to "fix" that?

Thanks,
Murgi

Copying the entire CD to a folder on the HD would 1) test the CD,
>2) put everything on the HD to burn from, rather than having to read one

CD,
>then write to the other. (Of course, most CD writing software includes the

>option to 'copy to disk' before burning anyway - usually a real good idea.)
>
>"Win" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:2bjFd.7500$(E-Mail Removed)...
>| Try copying the whole CD to the HDD
>| I'd think the CD was at fault not Nero???
>| Win
>| "Murgi" <rp0000000013@127.0.0.1:7501> wrote in message
>| >
>| > Hi,
>| > I have a dictionary CD (made 10 years ago) which I want to copy (burn)
>| > with
>| > the newest version of Nero. Nero stops after 10% in the burning
>process...
>| > What is the best CD/DVD opying/burning software nowadays that might

>work?
>| > I found umpteen programs on the net that promise all the same... but

>| > don't
>| > have the time to try all of them.
>| > Any good lead will be appreciated.
>| >
>| > Thanks,
>| > Murgi

>| > News==----
>| > http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000
>| > Newsgroups
>| > ---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via
>Encryption
>| > =---

Toolman Tim

<mixed posting fixed>

| >process...
| >work?

<snip>

| >I think she wants to copy a CD.

| Yes, it's a CD (700MB filled up) and I bought the CD around 1993. Since I
| work in two locations, I want to make images of all my original software
| programs to have them accessible anytime I need them. This CD is OK since
| I have just installed it again on my machine.
|
| When copying, I get an error after a couple of files have been copied to
| the hard drive. It says:
| Cannot copy UROQFFOD
| Data error (cyclic redundancy check).
|
| Any ideas how to "fix" that?

Hmmmm....not right off hand. Truth is, just 'installing' the program isn't
always going to tell you if there are problems or not. Have you tried to do
this in a different computer? Some drives work better than others - and
drives sometimes need to be cleaned.

Just so I know how you are trying to copy this CD, please outline the steps
you are taking to copy it to the HD:

piper

On 12 Jan 2005 21:52:09 -0600, "Murgi" <rp0000000013@127.0.0.1:7501>
wrote:

>>I think she wants to copy a CD. But I'm not sure, 'cause she says it was

>>made 10 years ago. Maybe it's a commercial dictionary program? If so, it's

>probably copyrighted anyway. And you're right - maybe the original CD is
>damaged.
>

>Yes, it's a CD (700MB filled up) and I bought the CD around 1993. Since I
>work in two locations, I want to make images of all my original software
>programs to have them accessible anytime I need them. This CD is OK since
>I have just installed it again on my machine.
>
>When copying, I get an error after a couple of files have been copied to
>the hard drive. It says:
>Cannot copy UROQFFOD
>Data error (cyclic redundancy check).
>
>Any ideas how to "fix" that?
>
>Thanks,
>Murgi

It sounds like the CD has some kind of copy protection. Try Alcohol
120 http://trial.alcohol-soft.com/en/ and see if that works. Also you
can use clonyXXL at
http://www.softpedia.com/get/CD-DVD-...ClonyXXL.shtml
to see what type of copy protection it may have. Alcohol will need to
know this to remove it for backup.

Governor Swill

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 11:11:22 -0600, piper <?????@????.net> wrote:

>It sounds like the CD has some kind of copy protection. Try Alcohol
>120 http://trial.alcohol-soft.com/en/ and see if that works. Also you
>can use clonyXXL at
>http://www.softpedia.com/get/CD-DVD-...ClonyXXL.shtml
>to see what type of copy protection it may have. Alcohol will need to
>know this to remove it for backup.

With a Mac you can make a disc image that is essentially a bit by bit
image of the disk. I've done it on a copy protected disk before. If
you have access to a Mac, try making an image and burning the image.

Swill

--
If electricity comes from electrons,
does morality come from morons?