Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > CD/ DVD ROM Combo - DVD/RAM burner woes under xp resolved

CD/ DVD ROM Combo - DVD/RAM burner woes under xp resolved

Dave Falls

I began to have trouble reading music cd's and backing up or burning disks
would take for ever. Trouble reading RW's and general missbehaving media
drives unless they were forced to PIO only mode. This after migrating to XP.
By replacing the ide cables with 80 wire instead of 40 wire all is working
as it should and at amazing speed.

Hope this helps someone.

PC

"Dave Falls" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I began to have trouble reading music cd's and backing up or burning disks
>would take for ever. Trouble reading RW's and general missbehaving media
>drives unless they were forced to PIO only mode. This after migrating to
>XP.
> By replacing the ide cables with 80 wire instead of 40 wire all is working
> as it should and at amazing speed.
>
> Hope this helps someone.

Dave
Can confirm your 'fix'.
I had similar problems here on PC's with more than one drive on IDE2, PIO
only mode included.
I initially thought it was caused by marginal power supplies (lots of
ripple) but once they had been replaced the ultimate fix was 80 wire IDE
cables.

In my case they were all running XP from the start so it's interesting you
found your problems arose 'after' upgrading to XP. Must remember that, may
be a 'timing' issue with XP.

Cheers
Paul.