Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Windows XP Continuous Reboot

Windows XP Continuous Reboot

=?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=

Hi,

A telephone call from a friend this morning with problems
with her Dell running XP (doesn't know whether it is Home or
Pro). She was installing a new printer and the "install went
wrong and the thing just kept rebooting after starting
Windows". She called the helpline and they got her to start
in safe mode and restore to a previous point - so now it
reboots as it goes into safe mode too. Their next suggestion
was a complete clean install... so she called me.

Any thoughts on how to proceed? The first thing I will do is
to boot from a CD or floppy and take an image of the drive -
so that I can always get to where I started. That will then
allow me to try pretty much anything without worrying about
making things worse.

If I can't get it to start in safe mode, I was thinking of
partitioning the drive and moving what is on there up to
make room for a new primary partition and clean installing
XP "whatever" there, patching it with the MSoft security Cd
before connecting it to broadband, which she has, and
pulling all the other patches, etc over. The re-installing
Office, etc.

Any thoughts on alternatives to try before going for this
would be much appreciated - otherwise it looks like my
sunny(rare!) afternoon is going to be indoors..

Saba

"Palindr?me" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| Hi,
|
| A telephone call from a friend this morning with problems
| with her Dell running XP (doesn't know whether it is Home or
| Pro). She was installing a new printer and the "install went
| wrong and the thing just kept rebooting after starting
| Windows". She called the helpline and they got her to start
| in safe mode and restore to a previous point - so now it
| reboots as it goes into safe mode too. Their next suggestion
| was a complete clean install... so she called me.
|
| Any thoughts on how to proceed? The first thing I will do is
| to boot from a CD or floppy and take an image of the drive -
| so that I can always get to where I started. That will then
| allow me to try pretty much anything without worrying about
| making things worse.
|
| If I can't get it to start in safe mode, I was thinking of
| partitioning the drive and moving what is on there up to
| make room for a new primary partition and clean installing
| XP "whatever" there, patching it with the MSoft security Cd
| before connecting it to broadband, which she has, and
| pulling all the other patches, etc over. The re-installing
| Office, etc.
|
| Any thoughts on alternatives to try before going for this
| would be much appreciated - otherwise it looks like my
| sunny(rare!) afternoon is going to be indoors..

hook the Dell hard disk into your computer and copy the documents,
favourites, e-mail settings to your hard disk.
Make a D partition on the Dell disk and copy all the restored information
back to the D partition.
Format the Dell drive and reinstall windows XP on the C partition after
putting the disk back into the pc of your friend ..