Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > 3-D rendering and animation programs a step up from "blender"

3-D rendering and animation programs a step up from "blender"

Steve Freides

Posting a question for a friend who doesn't use newsgroups:

*---------------*

My son's 3-D rendering program is called blender. He says it's a 3-D
animation engine that then has a rendering portion. He makes torches
that ignite and Christmas trees, etc. He seems to be especially
interested in how light reflects off of different surface textures.
What's the next level up? This program is in two versions: free and
$15.00. I'm sure there's some pretty good stuff out there by now.

*---------------*

Part of my friend's concern is to find something that will run
acceptably on a garden variety PC without requiring a workstation.

Thanks for any suggestions.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Toolman Tim

"Steve Freides" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| Posting a question for a friend who doesn't use newsgroups:
|
| *---------------*
|
| My son's 3-D rendering program is called blender. He says it's a 3-D
| animation engine that then has a rendering portion. He makes torches
| that ignite and Christmas trees, etc. He seems to be especially
| interested in how light reflects off of different surface textures.
| What's the next level up? This program is in two versions: free and
| $15.00. I'm sure there's some pretty good stuff out there by now.
|
| *---------------*
|
| Part of my friend's concern is to find something that will run
| acceptably on a garden variety PC without requiring a workstation.
|
| Thanks for any suggestions.

You might try posting this question in a different news group - perhaps
something 'graphics' and/or 'rendering' related. Personally, I'm about as
artistic as a rock, so I know nothing about this type of software <g>

Be forewarned though that many of the sites in the 'graphic' realm are
inundated with ads and downloads of material that may be considered
inappropriate for minors...

Steve Freides

Thanks - having seen no reply to this here thus far, I did just that
earlier this afternoon, although whether or not I got the right group
remains to be seen.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

news:Ru_Ed.497$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Steve Freides" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> | Posting a question for a friend who doesn't use newsgroups:
> |
> | *---------------*
> |
> | My son's 3-D rendering program is called blender. He says it's a 3-D
> | animation engine that then has a rendering portion. He makes torches
> | that ignite and Christmas trees, etc. He seems to be especially
> | interested in how light reflects off of different surface textures.
> | What's the next level up? This program is in two versions: free and
> | $15.00. I'm sure there's some pretty good stuff out there by now.
> |
> | *---------------*
> |
> | Part of my friend's concern is to find something that will run
> | acceptably on a garden variety PC without requiring a workstation.
> |
> | Thanks for any suggestions.
>
> You might try posting this question in a different news group -
> perhaps
> something 'graphics' and/or 'rendering' related. Personally, I'm about
> as
> artistic as a rock, so I know nothing about this type of software <g>
>
> Be forewarned though that many of the sites in the 'graphic' realm are
> inundated with ads and downloads of material that may be considered
> inappropriate for minors...

Pennywise@DerryMaine.gov

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 09:21:05 -0500, "Steve Freides"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|> My son's 3-D rendering program is called blender. He says it's a 3-D
|> animation engine that then has a rendering portion. He makes torches
|> that ignite and Christmas trees, etc. He seems to be especially
|> interested in how light reflects off of different surface textures.
|> What's the next level up?

eye - all about computer graphics - downloads, fonts, links, art!
http://eye.box.sk/index.php

lsj7

Steve Freides wrote:
> Posting a question for a friend who doesn't use newsgroups:
>
> *---------------*
>
> My son's 3-D rendering program is called blender. He says it's a 3-D
> animation engine that then has a rendering portion. He makes torches
> that ignite and Christmas trees, etc. He seems to be especially
> interested in how light reflects off of different surface textures.
> What's the next level up? This program is in two versions: free and
> $15.00. I'm sure there's some pretty good stuff out there by now.

ask at newsgroup
alt.comp.freeware

--

Cherish, therefore, the spirit of our people, and keep alive their
attention. .If once they become inattentive to the public affairs, you

_________Jefferson to Carrington 1787

lsj7

lafftrax

lsj7 wrote:

> Steve Freides wrote:
>
>>Posting a question for a friend who doesn't use newsgroups:
>>
>>*---------------*
>>
>>My son's 3-D rendering program is called blender. He says it's a 3-D
>>animation engine that then has a rendering portion. He makes torches
>>that ignite and Christmas trees, etc. He seems to be especially
>>interested in how light reflects off of different surface textures.
>>What's the next level up? This program is in two versions: free and
>>$15.00. I'm sure there's some pretty good stuff out there by now.

> ask at newsgroup
> alt.comp.freeware

Google for HDRShop or try searching the tutorial sections at
http://www.daz3d.com/
http://www.renderosity.com/
they also have links to several other sites with tutes & freebie
programs that will do this