Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > news readers..

news readers..

the niner nation

Hi...can anyone suggest a decent binaries news reader?

I really like using outlook express, but a lot of the digital pics on the
alt.binaries.photos.originals won't download for me

Also, are the newsgroups available restricted by your ISP???

thanks in advance!

Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor

I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Tue,
11 Jan 2005 00:50:04 -0000, "the niner nation"
<(E-Mail Removed)> screamed from behind the
mulberry bush:

>Hi...can anyone suggest a decent binaries news reader?
>
>I really like using outlook express, but a lot of the digital pics on the
>alt.binaries.photos.originals won't download for me

A decent free newsreader would be Free Agent. If you like downloading,
I have a friend who swears by Newsbin Pro, but it's not free.

>Also, are the newsgroups available restricted by your ISP???

All news servers, especially those setup for use by your ISP, restrict
the number of newsgroups they carry simply because of the sheer volume
of newsgroups. After all, there are over 100,000 newsgroups now (which
I guess that over half of them are empty or "vanity groups) and most
servers adminned by your local ISP don't have the room to carry them
all, especially binary groups. If you are looking for a news server
that carries just about everything under the sun, you'll have to pay
extra for a premium server. The costs vary.

samuel

"the niner nation" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
in news:crv7r0$io2$(E-Mail Removed):

> Hi...can anyone suggest a decent binaries news reader?

read this group news.software.readers

> I really like using outlook express, but a lot of the digital
> pics on the alt.binaries.photos.originals won't download for
> me
>

> Also, are the newsgroups available restricted by your ISP???
>
> thanks in advance!

Governor Swill

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi...can anyone suggest a decent binaries news reader?
>
>I really like using outlook express, but a lot of the digital pics on the
>alt.binaries.photos.originals won't download for me
>

>Also, are the newsgroups available restricted by your ISP???
>
>thanks in advance!

http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php

Swill

--
If electricity comes from electrons,
does morality come from morons?

Governor Swill

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 20:09:22 -0500, Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>Also, are the newsgroups available restricted by your ISP???

>All news servers, especially those setup for use by your ISP, restrict
>the number of newsgroups they carry simply because of the sheer volume
>of newsgroups. After all, there are over 100,000 newsgroups now (which
>I guess that over half of them are empty or "vanity groups) and most
>servers adminned by your local ISP don't have the room to carry them
>all, especially binary groups. If you are looking for a news server
>that carries just about everything under the sun, you'll have to pay
>extra for a premium server. The costs vary

http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php also offers news service.
You can get it for as little as $2.95 a month. That gets you 5G a
month at reasonable speed. They have more newsgroups and retain
binaries up to two weeks. Most isps only allot enough space to retain
binaries for a few days at best and many either don't allow binary
postings on their servers or don't offer usenet at all.

If you're a speed freak, try http://giganews.com/ It's pricey but
noticeably faster. You should still use Agent (cheap) or Free Agent
for usenet though. It automatically reassembles partial postings and
flags posts that are incomplete. It fully supports yEnc encoded files
too.

TMI: I've noticed some .ape files in music binary groups and you can
go here to get a utility that decodes/encodes them. It's a lossless
audio compression format. Think of it as .zip on steroids.

Swill

--
If electricity comes from electrons,
does morality come from morons?

The Old Sourdough

On 11 Jan 2005, Governor Swill scribbled in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

snip>
> TMI: I've noticed some .ape files in music binary groups and you
> can go here to get a utility that decodes/encodes them. It's a
> lossless audio compression format. Think of it as .zip on
> steroids.
>
> Swill

Where's "here"?

--
The Old Sourdough
You know what I like best about the NCAA Basketball Tournament? Sixty-

Governor Swill

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 15:43:36 -0600, The Old Sourdough <sameas@above>
wrote:

>> TMI: I've noticed some .ape files in music binary groups and you
>> can go here to get a utility that decodes/encodes them. It's a
>> lossless audio compression format. Think of it as .zip on
>> steroids.
>>
>> Swill

>Where's "here"?

Sorry. http://www.monkeysaudio.com/