Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > problems playing dvds, please help!

problems playing dvds, please help!

stewart260@yahoo.com

Hello,
I have a quick question regarding dvds. I have made many video's and
put many of them on dvds. I have done a couple wedding video's for
family members also, and am finishing one up right now. My question is,
because of the problems with dvd-r and dvd+r, i have had to work with
them, and give them a copy of both incase if one of them doesnt work. I
am getting tired of this, and i want to know, if there is a dvd out
there, that will work on all dvd players? Is my problem with my dvd
burner? i am willing to put out money to get these things to work. I am
using a cheaper dvd burner, a lite-on, i dont remember the model #, and
TDK general use dvds + and -.
Thanks

PC

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hello,
> I have a quick question regarding dvds. I have made many video's and
> put many of them on dvds. I have done a couple wedding video's for
> family members also, and am finishing one up right now. My question is,
> because of the problems with dvd-r and dvd+r, i have had to work with
> them, and give them a copy of both incase if one of them doesnt work. I
> am getting tired of this, and i want to know, if there is a dvd out
> there, that will work on all dvd players? Is my problem with my dvd
> burner? i am willing to put out money to get these things to work. I am
> using a cheaper dvd burner, a lite-on, i dont remember the model #, and
> TDK general use dvds + and -.
> Thanks

Lite On's generally though 'inexpensive' are usually reliable, TDK disks
likewise are one of the more reliable brands.
As such I would not think the problem lies there. More likely is the
'compatibility' of individual DVD players to the + or - standard especially
with older players.

Unfortunately the DVD +/- compatibility issue is very frustrating (as is the
'Zone' issue) but the anecdotal evidence suggests that - disks work in more
DVD players than +. Having said that I myself don't have access to enough
DVD players to reasonable judge. If there is any 'fault' it lies with vested
interests in the DVD player manufacturers and media moguls.

Best idea I can offer is to keep a list of which family member needs which
type of disk.

Cheers
Paul.

stewart260@yahoo.com

thanks for the info. I just have 1 question, i have a dvd-r that was
burned by a company, i dont know which one, a wedding video company,
and it will play on all of my dvd players, but when i burn one, it will
only work on 1 out of the 3 dvd players. Is it just the dvd burer and
dvd problem again? Does anyone know of any dvd's or dvd burners where i
can burn and play the dvd's on all dvd players?
Thanks again

PC

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> thanks for the info. I just have 1 question, i have a dvd-r that was
> burned by a company, i dont know which one, a wedding video company,
> and it will play on all of my dvd players, but when i burn one, it will
> only work on 1 out of the 3 dvd players. Is it just the dvd burer and
> dvd problem again? Does anyone know of any dvd's or dvd burners where i
> can burn and play the dvd's on all dvd players?
> Thanks again

Stewart

I doubt you will ever get a 'guaranteed to run on all players' commitment
from any maker, to many variables.
e.g. Disk Quality, PC spec, Software, Environment, Temperature.......
All I can say is experiment with different disk brand / burner / speed
combinations.
Burning at the lowest possible speed was frequently found to cure read
problems with audio CD's, may work for DVD.

Cheers
Paul.

stewart260@yahoo.com

ok, thanks for everything, but i was just confrunted, but a guy in my
neighborhood, and he asked me if i would do a promo for his band. So,
what am i suppost to do in this situation, where he is going to be
giving these dvds to random people, who i dont know which format will
work. If i have problems with formats, then his band has problems
getting people to hire them. I could go to a company that would burn
these dvds after i make the promo, but what exactly do these companies
use? am i stuck, or what?
Thanks again

PC

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> ok, thanks for everything, but i was just confrunted, but a guy in my
> neighborhood, and he asked me if i would do a promo for his band. So,
> what am i suppost to do in this situation, where he is going to be
> giving these dvds to random people, who i dont know which format will
> work. If i have problems with formats, then his band has problems
> getting people to hire them. I could go to a company that would burn
> these dvds after i make the promo, but what exactly do these companies
> use? am i stuck, or what?
> Thanks again

Sorry Stewart I've no experience with distributing DVD's in bulk.
I've given lots of CDR's to clients over the years and found the most
problems were with older CD Rom drives (4x & slower) These could simply
could not read a CDR because the CDR technology was not around when they
were made.
I would think the situation is similar with DVD players.
I don't think I would worry about it. Burn them to -R for the most
(anecdotal) compatability. Anyone that can't play one because their player
is to old is not likely to have the resources to employ your neighbor's band
anyway.
Cheers
Paul.