Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Small Business Server 2003 - how to clear the email SMTP line-up?

Small Business Server 2003 - how to clear the email SMTP line-up?

Dmitriy

Hi All,

I have a problem of one of the domain machines having lost a marble or
two when it has started sending millions upon millions of emails.
Since all mail is handled by the Server that machine has lined-up a
huge pile of mail (thanks to fast LAN), which is now being slowly
pumped out to the internet. I've gone as far as unplugging the router
from the internet, to at least contain this problem (ISP is not happy
about the apparent spam), but how do I clear the huge pile of the
messages in the server waiting to be sent out?

Thanks
Dimon

Duane Arnold

Dmitriy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Hi All,
>
> I have a problem of one of the domain machines having lost a marble or
> two when it has started sending millions upon millions of emails.
> Since all mail is handled by the Server that machine has lined-up a
> huge pile of mail (thanks to fast LAN), which is now being slowly
> pumped out to the internet. I've gone as far as unplugging the router
> from the internet, to at least contain this problem (ISP is not happy
> about the apparent spam), but how do I clear the huge pile of the
> messages in the server waiting to be sent out?
>

> Thanks
> Dimon

You may want to post your question to comp.secuirty.firewalls as they have
some people there that work with 2003 servers.

Duane

Governor Swill

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 22:32:27 +0000, Dmitriy <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I have a problem of one of the domain machines having lost a marble or
>two when it has started sending millions upon millions of emails.
>Since all mail is handled by the Server that machine has lined-up a
>huge pile of mail (thanks to fast LAN), which is now being slowly
>pumped out to the internet. I've gone as far as unplugging the router
>from the internet, to at least contain this problem (ISP is not happy
>about the apparent spam), but how do I clear the huge pile of the
>messages in the server waiting to be sent out?

Assuming a hacker hasn't gotten through to it, there's probably a self
replicating virus that's emailing out copies of itself. You'll have
to be online to fix it and you may not be able to successfully do that
with the machine if your upstream bandwidth

Click: Start... Run... type "msconfig" and click ok. Click
"Selective startup", then clear the checkbox for "Load start up
items", and click "Apply" and "Ok" or "Close". Then click "Yes" to
restart the computer. (You may get a most pleasant surprise from this
trick.) This and uninstalling Outlook Express might stop the
behavior so you can bring the network back online and virus scan the
machine. Try this online scanner from Panda:

http://www.pandasoftware.com/actives..._principal.htm

The Startup change may disable software you want to have starting up
such as the anti virus that isn't working or other important software.
You can go back to the Start up tab of msconfig to turn back on what
you want to have running.

TMI: You can widen the Command column to find out what folder the
file is running from and the folder names will clue you to what the
file is for.

Swill

--
If electricity comes from electrons,