Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Tray icons in windows

Tray icons in windows

DJYpung

I am using Windows ME with Pentium 4 processor in a Sony Viao system.
Mu problem is too many active icons in the lower tray. These tend to
slow things down (I think) especially when using disk maintenance like
defrag. There is a program which I have used before than can be run.
It contols/removes unwanted icons in the tray. Problem is I don't
remember the name of the program. Can anyone help with this?
Thanks, Dave

edard

DJYpung wrote:

> I am using Windows ME with Pentium 4 processor in a Sony Viao system.
> Mu problem is too many active icons in the lower tray. These tend to
> slow things down (I think) especially when using disk maintenance like
> defrag. There is a program which I have used before than can be run.
> It contols/removes unwanted icons in the tray. Problem is I don't
> remember the name of the program. Can anyone help with this?
> Thanks, Dave

Are you thinking of 'msconfig' then unchecking the unwanted programs in the
Start tab?

Richard

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 18:53:42 GMT DJYpung wrote:

> I am using Windows ME with Pentium 4 processor in a Sony Viao system.
> Mu problem is too many active icons in the lower tray. These tend to
> slow things down (I think) especially when using disk maintenance like
> defrag. There is a program which I have used before than can be run.
> It contols/removes unwanted icons in the tray. Problem is I don't
> remember the name of the program. Can anyone help with this?
> Thanks, Dave

http://www.sysinternals.com/

Get the program called "process explorer".
It will tell you anything that is running at the moment.
Don't want it running? Kill it with a click.

°Mike°

Right click on each entry in the system tray. If it has
a 'Preferences', 'Options' or similar configuration menu
entry, use it and prevent it from starting that way. For
those items that don't, you can use Startup Control Panel:
http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 18:53:42 GMT, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
DJYpung scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

mkdykstra

°Mike° wrote:
> Right click on each entry in the system tray. If it has
> a 'Preferences', 'Options' or similar configuration menu
> entry, use it and prevent it from starting that way. For
> those items that don't, you can use Startup Control Panel:
> http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
>

> On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 18:53:42 GMT, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> DJYpung scrawled:
>

>>I am using Windows ME with Pentium 4 processor in a Sony Viao system.
>>Mu problem is too many active icons in the lower tray. These tend to
>>slow things down (I think) especially when using disk maintenance like
>>defrag. There is a program which I have used before than can be run.
>>It contols/removes unwanted icons in the tray. Problem is I don't
>>remember the name of the program. Can anyone help with this?
>> Thanks, Dave

Jim Byrd

Hi DJY - This may not be exactly what you had in mind, but . . .

TrayManager 2.0
Hide little-used tray icons. FREEWARE WIN95/98/NT/2000.
http://www.filelibrary.com:8080/cgi-...05/traymgr.zip

--
Please respond in the same thread.
Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
DJYpung <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
> I am using Windows ME with Pentium 4 processor in a Sony Viao system.
> Mu problem is too many active icons in the lower tray. These tend to
> slow things down (I think) especially when using disk maintenance like
> defrag. There is a program which I have used before than can be run.
> It contols/removes unwanted icons in the tray. Problem is I don't
> remember the name of the program. Can anyone help with this?
> Thanks, Dave

Governor Swill

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 22:46:19 +0000, °Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Right click on each entry in the system tray. If it has
>a 'Preferences', 'Options' or similar configuration menu
>entry, use it and prevent it from starting that way. For
>those items that don't, you can use Startup Control Panel:
>http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

Which site immediately attempts to set a Pay Pal cookie. No thanks,
I'll just stick with msconfig and edit the Start up tab myself.

Swill

--
If electricity comes from electrons,
does morality come from morons?