Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Any ideas on different file sizes showing of the same file on two different systems?

Any ideas on different file sizes showing of the same file on two different systems?

Joe

Hello

I've just uploaded a file to a server, the actual file was uploaded as a
standard folder from XP to a linux server. My question is this:

When I checked the file size of the uploaded file on the server and compared
it to the file size of the file on my computer here at home running windows
xp the size was different. I was using Ipswich FTP professional and it did
not show any error messages, the difference is only a few hundred kb but
after trying it twice I am wondering if there is some logical explanation
for this.

Is there some reason that perhaps due to a different file system this takes
up more or less space?

Any advice or pointers and if this is posted in the wrong ng, then please
excuse me and I'll try and find another ng.

Thanks in Advance

Toolman Tim

news:crshn5$d15$(E-Mail Removed)...
| Hello
|
| I've just uploaded a file to a server, the actual file was uploaded as a
| standard folder from XP to a linux server. My question is this:
|
| When I checked the file size of the uploaded file on the server and
compared
| it to the file size of the file on my computer here at home running
windows
| xp the size was different. I was using Ipswich FTP professional and it did
| not show any error messages, the difference is only a few hundred kb but
| after trying it twice I am wondering if there is some logical explanation
| for this.
|
| Is there some reason that perhaps due to a different file system this
takes
| up more or less space?
|
| Any advice or pointers and if this is posted in the wrong ng, then please
| excuse me and I'll try and find another ng.

No problem - it's a good question, and the people in this newsgroup will
probably have an intelligent answer for you soon. As for me, I'm watching
Green Bay lose, and I really don't like it. So just ignore me while I go
away and pout.

Just kidding! What operating system are you using? I know that file size and
actual disk space used are always different. The OS allocates disk space in
chunks (non-technical term...hee hee...) and even a tiny file still takes up
that whole chunk. For example, a shortcut on my desktop is physically 95
bytes, but 'uses' 4096 bytes of HD space.

Joe

news:YakEd.56535$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Joe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:crshn5$d15$(E-Mail Removed)...
> | Hello
> |
> | I've just uploaded a file to a server, the actual file was uploaded as a
> | standard folder from XP to a linux server. My question is this:
> |
> | When I checked the file size of the uploaded file on the server and
> compared
> | it to the file size of the file on my computer here at home running
> windows
> | xp the size was different. I was using Ipswich FTP professional and it
> did
> | not show any error messages, the difference is only a few hundred kb but
> | after trying it twice I am wondering if there is some logical
> explanation
> | for this.
> |
> | Is there some reason that perhaps due to a different file system this
> takes
> | up more or less space?
> |
> | Any advice or pointers and if this is posted in the wrong ng, then
> please
> | excuse me and I'll try and find another ng.
> |
> No problem - it's a good question, and the people in this newsgroup will
> probably have an intelligent answer for you soon. As for me, I'm watching
> Green Bay lose, and I really don't like it. So just ignore me while I go
> away and pout.

LOL I hope your days not going to be ruined!

> Just kidding! What operating system are you using? I know that file size
> and
> actual disk space used are always different.

The operating system is Windows XP SP2, and I'm uploading to a linux server.
The reason I'm asking is not just out of curiosity, of course I would like
to know, but this is the second time I've uploaded the file and I am trying
to find out how I can tell if the file upload was successful between my
computer and the servere. Hope it makes sense in my "non technical speak"

The OS allocates disk space in chunks (non-technical term...hee hee...) and
even a tiny file still takes up
> that whole chunk. For example, a shortcut on my desktop is physically 95
> bytes, but 'uses' 4096 bytes of HD space.

Thanks very much. So I think I am right in understanding that the "file
size" may not be the same as the "disc space" taken up, now I presume that
as a server is exactly the same thing as a home computer (physically
speaking) that this same logic would apply.

So I need to find out the exact reading for the file size/disc space usage,
however at the moment the file on my system gives two readings, previously
the two readings have matched. So I am wondering if I just need to perhaps
get some support from the FTP program, maybe there is some facility on it
that can say if the file upload was successful or not.

Thanks again for your input and I hope your game goes well

Toolman Tim

news:crsinc$usq$(E-Mail Removed)...

| "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| news:YakEd.56535$(E-Mail Removed)...
| >
| > "Joe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| > news:crshn5$d15$(E-Mail Removed)...
| > | Hello
| > |
| > | I've just uploaded a file to a server, the actual file was uploaded as
| > | standard folder from XP to a linux server. My question is this:
| > |
| > | When I checked the file size of the uploaded file on the server and
| > compared
| > | it to the file size of the file on my computer here at home running
| > windows
| > | xp the size was different. I was using Ipswich FTP professional and it
| > did
| > | not show any error messages, the difference is only a few hundred kb
but
| > | after trying it twice I am wondering if there is some logical
| > explanation
| > | for this.
| > |
| > | Is there some reason that perhaps due to a different file system this
| > takes
| > | up more or less space?
| > |
| > | Any advice or pointers and if this is posted in the wrong ng, then
| > please
| > | excuse me and I'll try and find another ng.
| > |
| > No problem - it's a good question, and the people in this newsgroup will
| > probably have an intelligent answer for you soon. As for me, I'm
watching
| > Green Bay lose, and I really don't like it. So just ignore me while I go
| > away and pout.
|
| LOL I hope your days not going to be ruined!
| >
| > Just kidding! What operating system are you using? I know that file size
| > and
| > actual disk space used are always different.
|
| The operating system is Windows XP SP2, and I'm uploading to a linux
server.
| The reason I'm asking is not just out of curiosity, of course I would like
| to know, but this is the second time I've uploaded the file and I am
trying
| to find out how I can tell if the file upload was successful between my
| computer and the servere. Hope it makes sense in my "non technical speak"

| The OS allocates disk space in chunks (non-technical term...hee hee...)
and
| even a tiny file still takes up
| > that whole chunk. For example, a shortcut on my desktop is physically 95
| > bytes, but 'uses' 4096 bytes of HD space.
|
| Thanks very much. So I think I am right in understanding that the "file
| size" may not be the same as the "disc space" taken up, now I presume that
| as a server is exactly the same thing as a home computer (physically
| speaking) that this same logic would apply.
|
| So I need to find out the exact reading for the file size/disc space
usage,
| however at the moment the file on my system gives two readings, previously
| the two readings have matched. So I am wondering if I just need to perhaps
| get some support from the FTP program, maybe there is some facility on it
| that can say if the file upload was successful or not.
|
| Thanks again for your input and I hope your game goes well

When I transfer files over a VPN, I get a confirmation 'receipt' document
filed on the server. Maybe your FTP transfer program does the same? I
actually don't use this - I set it up one time for an automated system at
work - so I don't remember the details of what is in the receipt.

Joe

news:4BkEd.56541$(E-Mail Removed)...

> When I transfer files over a VPN, I get a confirmation 'receipt' document
> filed on the server. Maybe your FTP transfer program does the same? I
> actually don't use this - I set it up one time for an automated system at
> work - so I don't remember the details of what is in the receipt.

That sounds like a really good system. I think maybe I should try
reinstalling my application (ftp program), or contact them
to find out if there is such thing as a receipt or confirmation code or
something else to suggest that the file was delivered correctly.