Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > refilling ink cartridges?

refilling ink cartridges?

Geoff Pearson

I've just bought a new HP 45 ink cartridge (42mL of black ink each) and now
have two empty ones lying around. Has anyone had real success in refilling
these?

--
Geoff Pearson
Scotland, UK

Ira Hayes

"Geoff Pearson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've just bought a new HP 45 ink cartridge (42mL of black ink each) and
> now have two empty ones lying around. Has anyone had real success in
> refilling these?
>
> --
> Geoff Pearson
> Scotland, UK

You can refill them but the consensus seems to be that the print quality
isn't as good as a new OEM one-- but it may be "good enough" for your
purposes.

This is a bit of a pain-- but you could use OEM cartridges for important
printing that you send to someone-- or for photos you want to keep-- and
swap out and use the refilled carts for drafts, etc.

Geoff Pearson

"Ira Hayes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:zjaEd.1846$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> "Geoff Pearson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I've just bought a new HP 45 ink cartridge (42mL of black ink each) and
>> now have two empty ones lying around. Has anyone had real success in
>> refilling these?
>>
>> --
>> Geoff Pearson
>> Scotland, UK
>>

> You can refill them but the consensus seems to be that the print quality
> isn't as good as a new OEM one-- but it may be "good enough" for your
> purposes.
>
> This is a bit of a pain-- but you could use OEM cartridges for important
> printing that you send to someone-- or for photos you want to keep-- and
> swap out and use the refilled carts for drafts, etc.

That was my hunch - if this were really worth doing there would be a big
market, and there isn't.

EricP

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 12:53:27 -0000, "Geoff Pearson"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I've just bought a new HP 45 ink cartridge (42mL of black ink each) and now
>have two empty ones lying around. Has anyone had real success in refilling
>these?

I always refill mine, but you have left it too long to use those. They
need refilling immediately they go dead. Don't use a "general" ink,
get a specific one for HP. The black is usually a dye. There is no
difference if you get decent ink.

David Hemingsley

The best thing I can suggest is go to a shop that refills they charge
between 10-15 per cartridge then you are still making a large saving
because cartridges cost on average 20 each for new but it takes away all
the hassle of refilling them there is a shop in Preston where I come from
called cartridge world do a search online I am sure you will find one near
you

"Geoff Pearson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've just bought a new HP 45 ink cartridge (42mL of black ink each) and
> now have two empty ones lying around. Has anyone had real success in
> refilling these?
>
> --
> Geoff Pearson
> Scotland, UK

Stickems.

The market is gigantic. There is no difference in the quality if you use a
respectable company's product. I can refill and even buy Canon equivalents
for a fraction of the Canon price.

"Geoff Pearson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

| "Ira Hayes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| news:zjaEd.1846$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
| > "Geoff Pearson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| >> I've just bought a new HP 45 ink cartridge (42mL of black ink each) and
| >> now have two empty ones lying around. Has anyone had real success in
| >> refilling these?
| >>
| >> --
| >> Geoff Pearson
| >> Scotland, UK
| >>

| > You can refill them but the consensus seems to be that the print quality
| > isn't as good as a new OEM one-- but it may be "good enough" for your
| > purposes.
| >
| > This is a bit of a pain-- but you could use OEM cartridges for important
| > printing that you send to someone-- or for photos you want to keep-- and
| > swap out and use the refilled carts for drafts, etc.
| >

| That was my hunch - if this were really worth doing there would be a big
| market, and there isn't.

@}-}-------Rosee

I let these folks refill my cartridges. Love it! I bought the
JetPacks. I ordered seven and they sent me eight.....;o)

http://www.printpal.com/bestprice.html

However, if you are not in the US, it might not be feasible.

If you don't refill the ones you have laying around, immediately,
the sponge thingie inside the cartridge will dry up completely,
and the cartridge will need to be tossed in the garbage.

"Geoff Pearson" <(E-Mail Removed)> chiseled in stone, the
following words news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I've just bought a new HP 45 ink cartridge (42mL of black ink each)
> and now have two empty ones lying around. Has anyone had real success
> in refilling these?

Bob B

"@}-}-------Rosee" <!!GigAntiCBoSomS!!@Nip..com> wrote in message
> I let these folks refill my cartridges. Love it! I bought the
> JetPacks. I ordered seven and they sent me eight.....;o)
>
> http://www.printpal.com/bestprice.html
>
> However, if you are not in the US, it might not be feasible.
>
> If you don't refill the ones you have laying around, immediately,
> the sponge thingie inside the cartridge will dry up completely,
> and the cartridge will need to be tossed in the garbage.
>
> "Geoff Pearson" <(E-Mail Removed)> chiseled in stone, the
> following words news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > I've just bought a new HP 45 ink cartridge (42mL of black ink each)
> > and now have two empty ones lying around. Has anyone had real success
> > in refilling these?

Why would anybody refill cartridges when you can buy compatibles for
peanuts. Loads of companies listed in the magazine computeractive ...my
favourite is www.choicestationary.com BB

Conor

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Geoff Pearson says...

> That was my hunch - if this were really worth doing there would be a big
> market, and there isn't.

Catridge World in the UK doesn't exist then with 100's of retail
outlets.

http://www.cartridgeworld.co.uk/

--
Conor

-- George Patton

Bob B

"Conor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Geoff Pearson says...
>
> > That was my hunch - if this were really worth doing there would be a big
> > market, and there isn't.
> >

> Catridge World in the UK doesn't exist then with 100's of retail
> outlets.
>
> http://www.cartridgeworld.co.uk/
>
>The compatible colour and black cartridges for my epson 760 cost less than

1.50p each and free post.... BB refilling looks expensive !!