Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > In the market for a Laptop.....Recommendations Apprecia

In the market for a Laptop.....Recommendations Apprecia

Testiclees

I'm in the market for a laptop and I'm looking to spend no more than
$1100.00. I'm looking soe something that has about a 40-60 gig hard
drive, 15 or 15.4 monitor. Below are 3 that I've been looking at. What
do you computer freaks out there think?

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...115-160&DEPA=3

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...114-105&depa=3

http://shopper.cnet.com/Sony_VAIO_K3...derby=90&sort=

Fred

"Testiclees" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:9t0Ed.225071$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> I'm in the market for a laptop and I'm looking to spend no more than
> $1100.00. I'm looking soe something that has about a 40-60 gig hard drive,
> 15 or 15.4 monitor. Below are 3 that I've been looking at. What do you
> computer freaks out there think?
>

> http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...115-160&DEPA=3
>

> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...114-105&depa=3
>

> http://shopper.cnet.com/Sony_VAIO_K3...derby=90&sort=

I tried to find the answer to the same question when I decided to buy a
computer. I soon found that it like trying to determine whether Ford or G.M.
make better cars. If the answer was that clear, there would only be one
manufacturer left by now. In the end I settled for a Dell. It has been
absolutely brilliant. Now within five minutes someone else will post a
message saying they are crap. So good luck!

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Testiclees wrote:
> I'm in the market for a laptop and I'm looking to spend no more than
> $1100.00. I'm looking soe something that has about a 40-60 gig hard
> drive, 15 or 15.4 monitor. Below are 3 that I've been looking at. What
> do you computer freaks out there think?
>

> http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...115-160&DEPA=3
>

> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...114-105&depa=3
>

> http://shopper.cnet.com/Sony_VAIO_K3...derby=90&sort=

The third one is well over your budget.

The second one has a faster processor than the first but with half the
memory, has only wireless networking built in, no ethernet adapter, has
1.5 hours estimated battery life.

The first one (Acer) is barely within your budget but adds DVD dual
layer burning capability and an ethernet port and is rated at 5 hours
battery life and is Centrino.

If you don't need the DVD burner, ethernet port and extremely long
battery life, buy the Toshiba and add 256 megs of RAM, pocket a couple
hundred bucks. Me, I'd get the Acer.

There are other differences of course, but those are the main ones.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Fred wrote:
> "Testiclees" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:9t0Ed.225071$(E-Mail Removed) m...
>
>>I'm in the market for a laptop and I'm looking to spend no more than
>>$1100.00. I'm looking soe something that has about a 40-60 gig hard drive,
>>15 or 15.4 monitor. Below are 3 that I've been looking at. What do you
>>computer freaks out there think?
>>

>>http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...115-160&DEPA=3
>>

>>http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...114-105&depa=3
>>

>>http://shopper.cnet.com/Sony_VAIO_K3...derby=90&sort=

> I tried to find the answer to the same question when I decided to buy a
> computer. I soon found that it like trying to determine whether Ford or G.M.
> make better cars. If the answer was that clear, there would only be one
> manufacturer left by now. In the end I settled for a Dell. It has been
> absolutely brilliant. Now within five minutes someone else will post a
> message saying they are crap. So good luck!

They are crap.

Gee

"Testiclees" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:9t0Ed.225071$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> I'm in the market for a laptop and I'm looking to spend no more than
> $1100.00. I'm looking soe something that has about a 40-60 gig hard
> drive, 15 or 15.4 monitor. Below are 3 that I've been looking at. What
> do you computer freaks out there think?

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...115-160&DEPA=3

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...114-105&depa=3

http://shopper.cnet.com/Sony_VAIO_K3...derby=90&sort=

One of the best laptop makes are actually Dell. i have one of their P233
laptops still working like a clock on 64Mb or Ram it has a stripe over
the screen once it fell down when I slammed on brakes in my car, and I
thought it would be dead, I have dropped it like gazzilion times, carried it
around for years in good and less good bags and had it working hard for
years.|They are made for quality and durability and Dell certanly knows
theirjob.

Vaio's are a popular choices for businessman here in UK, probably cos they
are pretty and cool. Do not know about their longterm quality tho.

Toshiba's are popular as much cheaper, so it does make you think twice.

Never even heard Acer made laptops.

I;d buy Dell again for sure.

Fred

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Fred wrote:
>> "Testiclees" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:9t0Ed.225071$(E-Mail Removed) m...
>>
>>>I'm in the market for a laptop and I'm looking to spend no more than
>>>$1100.00. I'm looking soe something that has about a 40-60 gig hard
>>>drive, 15 or 15.4 monitor. Below are 3 that I've been looking at. What do
>>>you computer freaks out there think?
>>>

>>>http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...115-160&DEPA=3
>>>

>>>http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...114-105&depa=3
>>>

>>>http://shopper.cnet.com/Sony_VAIO_K3...derby=90&sort=

>> I tried to find the answer to the same question when I decided to buy a
>> computer. I soon found that it like trying to determine whether Ford or
>> G.M. make better cars. If the answer was that clear, there would only be
>> one manufacturer left by now. In the end I settled for a Dell. It has
>> been absolutely brilliant. Now within five minutes someone else will post
>> a message saying they are crap. So good luck!

> They are crap.

That took 9 minutes.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Fred wrote:
> "Rgr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Fred wrote:
>>
>>>"Testiclees" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:9t0Ed.225071$(E-Mail Removed) .com...

>>>I tried to find the answer to the same question when I decided to buy a
>>>computer. I soon found that it like trying to determine whether Ford or
>>>G.M. make better cars. If the answer was that clear, there would only be
>>>one manufacturer left by now. In the end I settled for a Dell. It has
>>>been absolutely brilliant. Now within five minutes someone else will post
>>>a message saying they are crap. So good luck!

>>They are crap.

> That took 9 minutes.

I had to feed the cat first.

Plato

Testiclees wrote:

> I'm in the market for a laptop and I'm looking to spend no more than
> $1100.00. I'm looking soe something that has about a 40-60 gig hard
> drive, 15 or 15.4 monitor. Below are 3 that I've been looking at. What
> do you computer freaks out there think?

Right now I'm thinking about that girl in college with the whips on her
wall and I should have asked her about them.

phrogee

"Testiclees" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:9t0Ed.225071$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> I'm in the market for a laptop and I'm looking to spend no more than
> $1100.00. I'm looking soe something that has about a 40-60 gig hard drive,
> 15 or 15.4 monitor. Below are 3 that I've been looking at. What do you
> computer freaks out there think?
>

> http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...115-160&DEPA=3
>

> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...114-105&depa=3
>

> http://shopper.cnet.com/Sony_VAIO_K3...derby=90&sort=

http://makeashorterlink.com/?A24D23558

This goes to Dell Home.

--
phrogee

Tony

"Testiclees" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:9t0Ed.225071$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> I'm in the market for a laptop and I'm looking to spend no more than
> $1100.00. I'm looking soe something that has about a 40-60 gig hard drive,
> 15 or 15.4 monitor. Below are 3 that I've been looking at. What do you
> computer freaks out there think?
>

> http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...115-160&DEPA=3
>

> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...114-105&depa=3
>

> http://shopper.cnet.com/Sony_VAIO_K3...derby=90&sort=

I personally would go for the Acer (I do own an Acer laptop as does several
of my family and friends). Acer seem to give the highest spec for the
money and they have been around for a long time (I used to own an old 486
built by them).

Wouldn't touch Dell with a barge poll.