Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > Re: VHDL testbench: read BMP Files?

Re: VHDL testbench: read BMP Files?

Martin Thompson

"itsme" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Hi all,
> I want to direct read a Picture from a BMP File in a VHDL testbench and
> generate out of this some Stimulis for my video processing and store the
> video output again in a BMP File.
> Is there a library/Package?
> As I know there is a TEXTIO package but there must be ASCII data to read.
> How can a access raw File data?

Does it have to be a BMP - if you can convert them to PGM (portable
grey map ) or PPM (portable pixel map) you can read and write them
very easily with std VHDL. I even wrote a package to do it, but my
employer owns it unfortunately...

Read up on the formats here
http://netpbm.sourceforge.net/doc/ppm.html
http://netpbm.sourceforge.net/doc/pgm.html