Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Using news.individual.net

Using news.individual.net

Jim Scott

I have used news.individual.net (and its daddy) for years, but is there any
real advantage or even any disadvantage over using my isp's news server?

--
Jim

Tyneside - North East of England
To email me directly omit the X from my address

Hammerer

"Jim Scott" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns95D7D2E8A127EmrjimscottXvirginnet@130.133. 1.4...

> I have used news.individual.net (and its daddy) for years, but is there

any
> real advantage or even any disadvantage over using my isp's news server?

I don't know. Is there??!!

Mike Easter

Jim Scott wrote:
> I have used news.individual.net (and its daddy) for years, but is
> there any real advantage or even any disadvantage over using my isp's
> news server?

Individual probably has more/better feeds for the groups it covers, and
it might have better retention, depending upon the 'class' of your own
provider's news. It does a better job of filtering than my provider;
so it scores over my own provider on all of those counts. To say
nothing of the fact that until recently, EL had added no new groups in
well over a year. So EL's news isn't even in the same class as NIN,
except that it provides binaries and such.

Individual's rules are a little ambiguous about mungeing -- but then so
are many providers.

--
Mike Easter

EricP

On 7 Jan 2005 20:44:00 GMT, Jim Scott <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have used news.individual.net (and its daddy) for years, but is there any
>real advantage or even any disadvantage over using my isp's news server?

I am afraid our Crystal Ball is still on loan for the Xmas season and
not returned yet. The clairvoyant might pop in later, I will ask her
for you.

Jim Scott

Hammerer wrote:
> "Jim Scott" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns95D7D2E8A127EmrjimscottXvirginnet@130.133. 1.4...
>
>>I have used news.individual.net (and its daddy) for years, but is there

> any
>
>>real advantage or even any disadvantage over using my isp's news server?
>>

> I don't know. Is there??!!

Never noticed, that's why I ask.
--
Jim

Tyneside - North East of England
To email me directly omit the X from my address

Gember Breuk

On 7 Jan 2005 20:44:00 GMT, Jim Scott wrote:

> I have used news.individual.net (and its daddy) for years, but is there any
> real advantage or even any disadvantage over using my isp's news server?

I think NIN has maybe the best spam filters I know for Usenet.

--
Gem

Jim Scott

EricP wrote:
> On 7 Jan 2005 20:44:00 GMT, Jim Scott <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>I have used news.individual.net (and its daddy) for years, but is there any
>>real advantage or even any disadvantage over using my isp's news server?

> I am afraid our Crystal Ball is still on loan for the Xmas season and
> not returned yet. The clairvoyant might pop in later, I will ask her
> for you.

Sorry I wasn't trying to be obscure so I'll rephrase the question.
If I (or you) have an ISP which offers a perfectly good news server, why would I
(or you) choose NIN in preference?
--
Jim

Tyneside - North East of England
To email me directly omit the X from my address

Bert Hyman

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Jim Scott) wrote in
news:Xns95D7D2E8A127EmrjimscottXvirginnet@130.133. 1.4:

> I have used news.individual.net (and its daddy) for years, but is
> there any real advantage or even any disadvantage over using my
> isp's news server?

Individual.net doesn't carry binaries; that matters a lot to some
folks.

Assuming that your ISP isn't run by idiots, and that they run their
own news server, your ISP might be easier to deal with regarding
adding newsgroups or other service related issues.

Your ISP probably has some internal newsgroups which you won't find
anywhere else.

You can connect to individual.net from anywhere, while some ISPs
won't allow you to connect to their server if you're not coming from
within their network, although many will allow you to authenticate
with a userid/password if you're coming in from the outside [just
like individual.net does].

I'm sure if you think about it for a few minutes, you can come up
with other differences.

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN | (E-Mail Removed)

diddy

in thread news:(E-Mail Removed): Jim Scott
<(E-Mail Removed)> whittled the following words:

> Hammerer wrote:
>> "Jim Scott" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:Xns95D7D2E8A127EmrjimscottXvirginnet@130.133. 1.4...
>>
>>>I have used news.individual.net (and its daddy) for years, but is there

>> any
>>
>>>real advantage or even any disadvantage over using my isp's news server?
>>>

>> I don't know. Is there??!!
>>

> Never noticed, that's why I ask.

Using my REAL address is required for news.individual.net
If I use my own isp news server, I am allowed to munge my address so that I
can duck the resulting spam. This is a big boon to myself AND my isp.
So I prefer my ISP. I wouldn't use anything except a throwaway account to
subscribe to newsgroups without a munged address.

Bert Hyman

(E-Mail Removed) (diddy) wrote in

> Using my REAL address is required for news.individual.net

Are you sure, or do you just have to use an address that appears to
be real? Even so, won't a throwaway yahoo or hotmail address work?

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN | (E-Mail Removed)