Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > realy pi**ed off now

realy pi**ed off now

Annette Kurten

I can play cd's on winamp etc but not *any* windows media player.
So, I uninstalled winamp and downloaded windows media player again.
When I try to play a cd I get the message .
"can't find winamp.exe to open the cd.
I uninstalled win ****ing amp.
so what is going on??????
win 98
Thank you for any help even Kad man.

Harry Balz

"Annette Kurten" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:crmgsg$ftd$(E-Mail Removed):

> I can play cd's on winamp etc but not *any* windows media

player.
> So, I uninstalled winamp and downloaded windows media player

again.
> When I try to play a cd I get the message .
> "can't find winamp.exe to open the cd.
> I uninstalled win ****ing amp.
> so what is going on??????
> win 98
> Thank you for any help even Kad man.

Looks like you need to reinstall win ****ing amp.

Harry Balz

Gee

"Annette Kurten" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:crmgsg$ftd$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I can play cd's on winamp etc but not *any* windows media player.
> So, I uninstalled winamp and downloaded windows media player again.
> When I try to play a cd I get the message .
> "can't find winamp.exe to open the cd.
> I uninstalled win ****ing amp.
> so what is going on??????

Yes; computers can be frustrating Basically audio file types have been
associatted with WinAmp, so you need to reassociatte them with WMP.

OK, open Windows Media player, on top, click tools -options- file types-
click select all - click OK.

Not sure with Win98, but you may need to restart computer to take the
effect.

BTW, Winamp is one of the best audio players out there, I use nothing else
for any type of audio incl CD's. You can run both of them on the same PC,
but you do need to choose what file types are open with what program. Winamp
asks you that when you are installing it. If not, again you need to go to
Options-preferances- File types and choose what you want Winamp to run.

Richard

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 17:28:48 +0000 (UTC) Annette Kurten wrote:

> I can play cd's on winamp etc but not *any* windows media player.
> So, I uninstalled winamp and downloaded windows media player again.
> When I try to play a cd I get the message .
> "can't find winamp.exe to open the cd.
> I uninstalled win ****ing amp.
> so what is going on??????
> win 98
> Thank you for any help even Kad man.

File association problem.
Reinstall win ****ing amp, and click on any file you want to open with it.
If "Open with" does not appear when your right click on it, hold the shift
key down and click again.
Select "open with".
Check the box at the bottom.
Select "win ****ing amp" and click ok.

winamp loves to take control.
You can use this method to make wmp take charge.

Gee

> winamp loves to take control.

Actually not true. Winamp asks which files to associate with itself during
the installation. So as always, its all human fault

Annette Kurten

"Gee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jDADd.530$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Richard" <Anonymous@127.001> wrote in message
>
> > winamp loves to take control.

> Actually not true. Winamp asks which files to associate with itself during
> the installation. So as always, its all human fault

so how do I cure it?

Kritkal Skeptiks

Annette Kurten wrote:
> "Gee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:jDADd.530$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Richard" <Anonymous@127.001> wrote in message
>>
>>> winamp loves to take control.

>> Actually not true. Winamp asks which files to associate with itself
>> during the installation. So as always, its all human fault
>>

> so how do I cure it?

http://www.womenshealthlondon.org.uk...rushtreat.html

dadiOH

Annette Kurten wrote:
> "Gee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:jDADd.530$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Richard" <Anonymous@127.001> wrote in message
>>
>>> winamp loves to take control.

>> Actually not true. Winamp asks which files to associate with itself
>> during the installation. So as always, its all human fault
>>

> so how do I cure it?

You...

1. Find an MP3 file

2. Shift + right click it

3. Select "Open with..."

4. Tick "Always use this program to open this file"

5. Browse to and select the program you want to use

6. Click "Open"

7. OK your way out.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.05...

Gee

"Annette Kurten" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>>Winamp asks which files to associate with itself during
> > the installation. So as always, its all human fault
> >

> so how do I cure it?

I told you in detail in my previous posting! Let WMP take over all audio
files, or select which ones you want each to open.

Miss Perspicacia Tick

Gee wrote:
> "Annette Kurten" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:crmgsg$ftd$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I can play cd's on winamp etc but not *any* windows media player.
>> So, I uninstalled winamp and downloaded windows media player again.
>> When I try to play a cd I get the message .
>> "can't find winamp.exe to open the cd.
>> I uninstalled win ****ing amp.
>> so what is going on??????

> Yes; computers can be frustrating Basically audio file types have
> been associatted with WinAmp, so you need to reassociatte them with
> WMP.
>
> OK, open Windows Media player, on top, click tools -options- file
> types- click select all - click OK.
>
> Not sure with Win98, but you may need to restart computer to take the
> effect.
>
> BTW, Winamp is one of the best audio players out there, I use nothing
> else for any type of audio incl CD's. You can run both of them on the
> same PC, but you do need to choose what file types are open with what
> program. Winamp asks you that when you are installing it. If not,
> again you need to go to Options-preferances- File types and choose
> what you want Winamp to run.

It may very well be but it's RIP. Yep, the TimeWarner part of the AOHELL/TW
monstrosity, have shut Nullsoft (the developer) down. Why? Well, Warner is a
record label and they felt that Winamp (being a media player) could be used
to play tracks that had been illegally downloaded. Yep, they really are that
paranoid...
on salads.