Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > system32\config files missing again!

system32\config files missing again!

D@z

This is driving me up the wall, a few weeks ago I got a missing
system32\config on boot up, several reformats later after reoccurrence of
said problem I posted the problem on here, with some advice (and a
comprehensive search on google) I decided that faulty Ram may be the culprit
and so purchased a new stick ands removed the previous one. That was just
before Xmas, and all seemed well, no problems shutting down and restarting,
however this evening I had to restart the pc after a program install and the
problem was there again, luckily I had made a back up of all the files on
the pc and using ASR managed to get the pc back working , it seems to last a
few days or even a couple of weeks but then it boots up and the missing
system32\system\config error comes back, I have tried all the repair stuff
but dont get the option from the set up to repair the installation on c
drive, the only other option is to run through set up and use ASR. I am at a
loss here, any help would be very gratefully recieved.

I am leaning towards buying a new hard drive as I think there may be some
problem there, I haVE a utility that says the fitness of the main hard
drive is not what it should be...?
I am really stumped

win xp professional
256mb ram
1800+ amd chip
gigabyte 7dxr mobo

Rob K

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 23:03:16 -0000, D@z wrote:

<snipped>

> I am leaning towards buying a new hard drive as I think there may be some
> problem there, I haVE a utility that says the fitness of the main hard
> drive is not what it should be...?

FWIW, I would not look at a RAM issue first. I'd look at the HD.

"The fitness is not what it should be" ... OK what make/model is it, how
old is the drive, what utility and what does it say, verbatim ?

Did XP ever run a chkdsk automatically at boot-up ?

--
My E-mail address in ROT-13: