Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Microsoft offers free anti-spyware/AV program!

Microsoft offers free anti-spyware/AV program!

Julie P.

Can anyone tell me if it is worth downloading this, to supplement Ad-Aware
and SpyBot, and my AV program? Thanks!

Julie

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/01/06/m....ap/index.html
Microsoft offers free security program
Thursday, January 6, 2005 Posted: 11:31 AM EST (1631 GMT

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Microsoft Corp., whose popular Windows software is a
frequent target for Internet viruses, is offering a free security program to
remove the most dangerous infections from computers.

The program, with monthly updates, is a step toward plans by Microsoft to
sell full-blown antivirus software later this year.

Microsoft said Thursday that consumers can download the new security program
from the company's Web site www.microsoft.com and that updated versions will
be offered automatically and free each month.

It will be available starting Tuesday.

Also being offered is a free program to remove "spyware," a category of
irritating programs that secretly monitor the activities of Internet users
and can cause sluggish computer performance or popup ads.

Microsoft said the virus-removal program will not prevent computer
infections and was never intended to replace the need for traditional
antivirus software, such as flagship products from McAfee Inc. or Symantec
Corp.

But a senior Microsoft executive confirmed the company's plans to sell its
own antivirus software, which would compete against programs from McAfee,
Symantec and others.

Microsoft purchased a Romanian antivirus firm, GeCAD Software Srl., for an
undisclosed amount in 2003. Industry rivals expect Microsoft's formal entry
into the market as early as the spring.

"We will have a standalone antivirus product that is one of the things you
can buy from Microsoft, but we're not announcing anything today," said Rich
Kaplan, vice president for Microsoft's security business and technology
unit.

The offers of free virus and spyware removal tools were intended to convince
consumers that Microsoft is working to improve its software's security,
Kaplan said.

Microsoft and other companies occasionally have offered separate programs to
disinfect specific viruses. Microsoft promised its new removal tool will
target a variety of infections and will be updated each month to recognize
new ones.

Microsoft is sensitive to criticism about the susceptibility of its Windows
operating system software to computer viruses. It has responded by
tightening security for its popular Outlook e-mail software and improving
the protective firewall utility for Windows.

But its reputation largely has hinged on consumers' effective use of
antivirus products and other security programs outside Microsoft's control.

Microsoft has proceeded more cautiously in recent years as it moves to
compete against its one-time partners. European antitrust regulators last
year fined the company euro497 million (U.S. $613 million) over charges it
abused its software monopoly. Microsoft is operating under restrictions from
a U.S. antitrust settlement with the Bush administration until 2007.

Kaplan encouraged consumers to buy updated antivirus software from vendors
such as Symantec and McAfee. He also expressed confidence that an industry
organization formed to share details between Microsoft and leading antivirus
companies about virus outbreaks would survive Microsoft's decision to
compete directly against those same businesses.

Antivirus vendors have warned investors about the fallout as Microsoft
enters the market. McAfee, for example, said in its most recent annual
report that its own products could become "obsolete and unmarketable" if
Microsoft were to include antivirus protection in Windows software.

A Symantec executive, Vincent Weafer, said Microsoft's success as an
antivirus company at Symantec's expense was not guaranteed. Weafer noted
that some leading security companies have decades of specialized experience
and skilled researchers.

"This is an area we certainly think we can differentiate ourselves from
Microsoft," Weafer said. "We've worked hard over the years to build trust
with customers."

Microsoft disclosed last month that it planned to offer software to remove
spyware programs that are secretly running on computers. But in a shift from
past practice, Microsoft said it may charge consumers for future versions of
the new protective technology, which Microsoft acquired by buying a small
New York software firm.

Kaplan said the free version of Microsoft's new spyware-removal software
will expire July 31 and pricing for future versions is still undecided.
Rival anti-spyware tools, such as Lavasoft Inc.'s popular Ad-Aware product,
offer similar functions to Microsoft's, and many are free.

edard

Julie P. wrote:

> Can anyone tell me if it is worth downloading this, to supplement Ad-Aware
> and SpyBot, and my AV program? Thanks!
>
> Julie
>
> http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/01/06/m....ap/index.html
> Microsoft offers free security program
> Thursday, January 6, 2005 Posted: 11:31 AM EST (1631 GMT

(...)
> Microsoft disclosed last month that it planned to offer software to remove
> spyware programs that are secretly running on computers. But in a shift
> from past practice, Microsoft said it may charge consumers for future
> versions of the new protective technology, which Microsoft acquired by
> buying a small New York software firm.
>
> Kaplan said the free version of Microsoft's new spyware-removal software
> will expire July 31 and pricing for future versions is still undecided.
> Rival anti-spyware tools, such as Lavasoft Inc.'s popular Ad-Aware
> product, offer similar functions to Microsoft's, and many are free.

Sounds like M$ is going to let us beta test their stuff then when we are
committed they start charging for it. I would also bet that you have to
remove any "anti-..." software to install theirs. It would put a better
taste in my mouth if they put their resources into making their products
more secure instead of offering to sell us a fix. That is why I advocate
and use Linux.

To answer your question Julie, let someone else go first and listen to what
is being said after they have a chance to try it.
HTH

Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor

I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Thu,
6 Jan 2005 16:50:24 -0500, "Julie P." <(E-Mail Removed)>
screamed from behind the mulberry bush:

>Can anyone tell me if it is worth downloading this, to supplement Ad-Aware
>and SpyBot, and my AV program? Thanks!
>
>Julie

I downloaded and used it. It seems to work pretty good.

Julie P.

"edard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Sounds like M$ is going to let us beta test their stuff then when we are
> committed they start charging for it. I would also bet that you have to
> remove any "anti-..." software to install theirs. It would put a better
> taste in my mouth if they put their resources into making their products
> more secure instead of offering to sell us a fix. That is why I advocate
> and use Linux.
>
> To answer your question Julie, let someone else go first and listen to
> what
> is being said after they have a chance to try it.
> HTH

Ok, will do! It probably is a band-width hog anyway.

Julie P.

"Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Thu,
> 6 Jan 2005 16:50:24 -0500, "Julie P." <(E-Mail Removed)>
> screamed from behind the mulberry bush:
>
>>Can anyone tell me if it is worth downloading this, to supplement Ad-Aware
>>and SpyBot, and my AV program? Thanks!
>>
>>Julie
>>

> I downloaded and used it. It seems to work pretty good.

ok, so that's one vote in favor of it then.

J.

The Old Sourdough

On 06 Jan 2005, Julie P. scribbled in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> Can anyone tell me if it is worth downloading this, to supplement
> Ad-Aware and SpyBot, and my AV program? Thanks!
>
> Julie
>
> http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/01/06/m....ap/index.html

snip ad

By the time M$ gets through with it, it'll probably have so many
security holes in it, it'll be worse than the stuff it's supposed to
remove.

--
The Old Sourdough
You know what I like best about the NCAA Basketball Tournament? Sixty-

Muppet

"Julie P." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Thu,
>> 6 Jan 2005 16:50:24 -0500, "Julie P." <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> screamed from behind the mulberry bush:
>>
>>>Can anyone tell me if it is worth downloading this, to supplement
>>>Ad-Aware
>>>and SpyBot, and my AV program? Thanks!
>>>
>>>Julie
>>>

>> I downloaded and used it. It seems to work pretty good.
>>

> ok, so that's one vote in favor of it then.
>
> J.

It's worth downloading.It found a couple of pieces of scumware that
Spybot,Adaware and Spywareblaster missed.
At the risk of being flamed,it's not bad at all.

RedBack

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 23:45:39 -0000, "Muppet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Julie P." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Thu,
>>> 6 Jan 2005 16:50:24 -0500, "Julie P." <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>> screamed from behind the mulberry bush:

>>> I downloaded and used it. It seems to work pretty good.
>>>

>> ok, so that's one vote in favor of it then.
>>
>> J.
>>

>It's worth downloading.It found a couple of pieces of scumware that
>Spybot,Adaware and Spywareblaster missed.
>At the risk of being flamed,it's not bad at all.

The first thing you should take note of is this is a BETA
program...are you prepare to take reasonability if it stuffs up your
system.
That said I have downloaded it and it seems to be working OK on my
system XP Pro...found a couple that Ad-Aware & S&D missed.

Remember it's your choice so don't start complaining if something
stuffs up.
If you're still Interested...you can download it from here.
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx

RedBack

Retiredff

Julie P. wrote:
> Can anyone tell me if it is worth downloading this, to supplement
> Ad-Aware and SpyBot, and my AV program? Thanks!

Well, the people here like it-
http://fileforum.betanews.com/review/1105022593/1/view

And, here are some remarks (not the exact words) in the EULA:

'This free version will expire on 31st July 2005 or until a commercial
version is released, whichever comes first, without further warning.'

And:

'We also may not release a commercial version of the software.'

Old Gringo

Julie P. wrote:
> [...]
> and skilled researchers.
>
> "This is an area we certainly think we can differentiate ourselves from
> Microsoft," Weafer said. "We've worked hard over the years to build trust
> with customers."
>
> Microsoft disclosed last month that it planned to offer software to remove
> spyware programs that are secretly running on computers. But in a shift from
> past practice, Microsoft said it may charge consumers for future versions of
> the new protective technology, which Microsoft acquired by buying a small
> New York software firm.
>
> Kaplan said the free version of Microsoft's new spyware-removal software
> will expire July 31 and pricing for future versions is still undecided.
> Rival anti-spyware tools, such as Lavasoft Inc.'s popular Ad-Aware product,
> offer similar functions to Microsoft's, and many are free.

As it only supports Win 2000 up, I believe it's a scam.

--
Old Gringo George

Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest