Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Where's my color?

Where's my color?

G. Morgan

Subject: Where's my color?
Newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
=> Dairy Queen <= wrote:

>I reformatted my c drive and reinstalled win 98se, but found myself with
>only 16 colors or 2 colors... how can I get my 256 back?

Install the drivers for your video card. 256 colors is very low too. A decent
card supports 32 million colors.

--
-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email

Barry OGrady

It was replaced with colour.

-Barry
========
"I see only with deep regret that God punishes so many of His children for
their numerous stupidities, for which only He Himself can be held responsible;
in my opinion, only His nonexistence could excuse Him."
[A. Einstein (Letter to Edgar Meyer, Jan. 2, 1915)]

Dairy Queen

I reformatted my c drive and reinstalled win 98se, but found myself with
only 16 colors or 2 colors... how can I get my 256 back?

Dairy Queen

can you tell me how to figure out what video card i have and where to locate
the drivers? i lost all sound also...

Steve P

Try Belarc Advisor from http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html to tell
you what graphics and sound cards you have then goto manufacurers
website for latest drivers.

"Dairy Queen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:criigl$d0pu$(E-Mail Removed)...
> can you tell me how to figure out what video card i have and where to
> locate
> the drivers? i lost all sound also...

Richard

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 21:19:15 -0800 Dairy Queen wrote:

> I reformatted my c drive and reinstalled win 98se, but found myself
> with
> only 16 colors or 2 colors... how can I get my 256 back?

It would be helpful to know the machine name and operating system.

You need to start by reinstalling your video card drivers.
If you need to, go online and go to the manufacturers website.
Many will list what components come installed with your type of machine.
Find your manual and look through it.
If all that fails, go to www.nvidia.com
They make a lot of drivers for a variety of the most popular cards.
Ok, it's a shot in the dark, but you can try one by one until you find one
that works.
There are also "generic" video card drivers available that may work.

You probably don't also that have little yellow speaker beside the time
right?
In that case, you also need to install the sound drivers.
"Sound Blaster" is a common driver for that.

You can also determine the cards by opening the case and looking inside.
Power off, of course.
The video card will be the one with the monitor plugged into it, and
naturally, the speakers are plugged into the sound card.

I'l get back to you later after I do a little more surfing on this.
I jsut went through this myself, but having done it a few times, I am
prepared.
I saved all the necessary drivers to a folder on another partition for easy
retrieval.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.gov

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 22:31:40 -0800, "Dairy Queen"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|> can you tell me how to figure out what video card i have and where to locate
|> the drivers? i lost all sound also...

When you boot up your computer the first thing display'd is your video
card - normally top left of the screen.

If you hit the pause key it will stop the boot process and you can write
it down or whatever <enter> to continue.

Google with what you've found.

Richard

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 06:39:20 +0000 (UTC) Steve P wrote:

> Try Belarc Advisor from http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html to
> tell
> you what graphics and sound cards you have then goto manufacurers
> website for latest drivers.

> "Dairy Queen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:criigl$d0pu$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> can you tell me how to figure out what video card i have and where to
>> locate
>> the drivers? i lost all sound also...

Now that, is a must have tool.
Tells you a lot more than most other junk does.

Eli Aran

i suggest that after you get your output list in Belarc Advisor that you
print the page for any further refference.
save the results for the future. you never know when you might need the
manufactor names again!

news:crimeo$vi$(E-Mail Removed)...

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|> I reformatted my c drive and reinstalled win 98se, but found myself with
|> only 16 colors or 2 colors... how can I get my 256 back?

Right click on your desktop
Properties
settings
Color

You can run 256 colors with the default VGA drivers that 98 has.
More colors than that will most likely require drivers.