Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Setting 'Path' in Windows XP (and path length)

Setting 'Path' in Windows XP (and path length)

DW

I am able to set Path in XP (using System Properties/Environment
Variables) but adding another directory does not seem to enable me to
access the exe /com files in that directory from the command prompt.

The added directory is shown when I use the 'PATH' command from the
prompt, but typing the exe name results in '... not recognised as an
internal or external command...' message.

If I shorten the whole PATH to just this one directory it then works.

so... is there a restriction on PATH length (there was/is in DOS) and if
so, is there a way of getting round this. (OR maybe I am just doing the
whole thing incorrectly !!)

TIA

Jerry G.

It can be a bit tricky to write in the path manually. Use the best way that
works.

--

Jerry G.
======

news:41dc0350$0$21328$(E-Mail Removed)...

Pennywise@DerryMaine.gov

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 15:10:06 +0000, DW <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|> I am able to set Path in XP (using System Properties/Environment
|> Variables) but adding another directory does not seem to enable me to
|> access the exe /com files in that directory from the command prompt.
|>
|> The added directory is shown when I use the 'PATH' command from the
|> prompt, but typing the exe name results in '... not recognised as an
|> internal or external command...' message.
|>
|> If I shorten the whole PATH to just this one directory it then works.
|>
|> so... is there a restriction on PATH length (there was/is in DOS) and if
|> so, is there a way of getting round this. (OR maybe I am just doing the
|> whole thing incorrectly !!)

Have you tried the SET command?
SET
Path=

--
http://www.nypost.com/commentary/37715.htm

Toolman Tim

"DW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:41dc0350$0$21328$(E-Mail Removed)...
|I am able to set Path in XP (using System Properties/Environment
| Variables) but adding another directory does not seem to enable me to
| access the exe /com files in that directory from the command prompt.
|
| The added directory is shown when I use the 'PATH' command from the
| prompt, but typing the exe name results in '... not recognised as an
| internal or external command...' message.
|
| If I shorten the whole PATH to just this one directory it then works.
|
| so... is there a restriction on PATH length (there was/is in DOS) and if
| so, is there a way of getting round this. (OR maybe I am just doing the
| whole thing incorrectly !!)
|
| TIA

The path statement length limit is 1024 characters, 2048 in SP2.

Toolman Tim

news:bU%Cd.43123$q%(E-Mail Removed)...

| "DW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| news:41dc0350$0$21328$(E-Mail Removed)...
||I am able to set Path in XP (using System Properties/Environment
|| Variables) but adding another directory does not seem to enable me to
|| access the exe /com files in that directory from the command prompt.
|| The added directory is shown when I use the 'PATH' command from the
|| prompt, but typing the exe name results in '... not recognised as an
|| internal or external command...' message.
|| If I shorten the whole PATH to just this one directory it then works.
|| so... is there a restriction on PATH length (there was/is in DOS) and if
|| so, is there a way of getting round this. (OR maybe I am just doing the
|| whole thing incorrectly !!)
|| TIA
|
| The path statement length limit is 1024 characters, 2048 in SP2.
| http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;832978

Here's a thought - put your 'troublesome' path info at the beginning of the
path statement, and see if that helps. It appears to me (playing with this)
that in the command emulator your path statement gets truncated to 127,
which was the DOS limit.

Toolman Tim

news:f40Dd.43125$(E-Mail Removed)...

| "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| news:bU%Cd.43123$q%(E-Mail Removed)...
|| "DW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
|| news:41dc0350$0$21328$(E-Mail Removed)...
|||I am able to set Path in XP (using System Properties/Environment
||| Variables) but adding another directory does not seem to enable me to
||| access the exe /com files in that directory from the command prompt.
||| The added directory is shown when I use the 'PATH' command from the
||| prompt, but typing the exe name results in '... not recognised as an
||| internal or external command...' message.
||| If I shorten the whole PATH to just this one directory it then works.
||| so... is there a restriction on PATH length (there was/is in DOS) and if
||| so, is there a way of getting round this. (OR maybe I am just doing the
||| whole thing incorrectly !!)
||| TIA
|| The path statement length limit is 1024 characters, 2048 in SP2.
|| http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;832978
|
| Here's a thought - put your 'troublesome' path info at the beginning of
the
| path statement, and see if that helps. It appears to me (playing with
this)
| that in the command emulator your path statement gets truncated to 127,
| which was the DOS limit.

And one final follow-up...you say you're at a command prompt - try CMD
instead of COMMAND. My path statement didn't get truncated when I checked it
from opening a command window via CMD.

kchandr1 kchandr1 is offline
Junior Member

Hi Community,
I noticed the same issue with Windows 2000 Server OS, is there a patch for it? The machine i am referring to is a Windows 2000 (Server) enterprise terminal server with Service Pack 4 installed already. Is there a patch or a workaround for this issue?

Any suggestions in this regard is appreciated.

Thanks
-Kishore

lbellysmit lbellysmit is offline
Junior Member

This is because you are typing PATH from a command prompt that was opened prior to you restting the path. Open a new CMD window and the adjusted PATH statement should be there.