Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Just added more RAM - Windows won't report it all

Just added more RAM - Windows won't report it all

G. Morgan

I just added a 512M stick of PC2100 to my ECS K7VTA v2 motherboard. Already
installed was a 256M stick. Windows XP Pro now reports that I only have 512
installed instead of 768M. Any ideas why?

--
-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email

mAineAc

G. Morgan wrote:
> I just added a 512M stick of PC2100 to my ECS K7VTA v2 motherboard. Already
> installed was a 256M stick. Windows XP Pro now reports that I only have 512
> installed instead of 768M. Any ideas why?

try changing the order of the memory.

G. Morgan

Subject: Re: Just added more RAM - Windows won't report it all
Newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
=> mAineAc <= wrote:

>G. Morgan wrote:
>> I just added a 512M stick of PC2100 to my ECS K7VTA v2 motherboard. Already
>> installed was a 256M stick. Windows XP Pro now reports that I only have 512
>> installed instead of 768M. Any ideas why?
>>

>try changing the order of the memory.

Thanks. That did it.

The original 256M chip was installed in slot 1, and I added the new 512M chip to
slot two. When I reversed the order the problem persisted.

It was only when I put the new one in slot 1, and the old one in slot 3 that it
started working.

Seems weird that slot 2 did recognise the new chip and ingnored the one in slot
1 (that had been there for three years)...

Anyway, thanks for the tip! I won't need any additional RAM for this machine in
it's lifetime, so the slot 2 can be bad for all I care..

--
-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email

Duane Arnold

You MADD COW you need to get your sorry ass out the house like you did in
the past. That's a real nice shot of you in action playing Throw the
Tampon.

http://tinyurl.com/49m68

Duane