Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > which is faster

which is faster

doS2k5

3GB memory when using DDR333 or 2 GB memory when using DDR400

Toolman Tim

"doS2k5" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:snnCd.53665$(E-Mail Removed)...
| 3GB memory when using DDR333 or 2 GB memory when using DDR400

You probably won't notice a signficant difference. It needs to match your
board/CPU. If your motherboard is gonna run the memory at 333MHz, why bother
with 400MHz RAM? The only exception would be if you have plans to upgrade
soon.

Unless you're seriously editing video or heavy gaming or other killer work,
the amount of RAM your talking about is probably excessive anyway.

SgtMinor

Toolman Tim wrote:
> "doS2k5" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:snnCd.53665$(E-Mail Removed)...
> | 3GB memory when using DDR333 or 2 GB memory when using DDR400
> |
> You probably won't notice a signficant difference. It needs to match your
> board/CPU. If your motherboard is gonna run the memory at 333MHz, why bother
> with 400MHz RAM? The only exception would be if you have plans to upgrade
> soon.
>
> Unless you're seriously editing video or heavy gaming or other killer work,
> the amount of RAM your talking about is probably excessive anyway.

doS's plans involve world domination. Three Gigs of RAM ain't gonna be
nearly enough...

--
"I woulda gone for the MMV extension."

Ron Martell

"doS2k5" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>3GB memory when using DDR333 or 2 GB memory when using DDR400

Depends on your application load.

If the computer is actually using the paging file with 2 gb of DDR400
- that is it is moving active memory content from RAM to the paging
file so as to free up that RAM for other, currently more important,
uses then the 3 gb will reduce or even eliminate this paging activity
and therefore the computer will perform faster.

On the other hand if there is no or minimal actual use of the paging
file with 2 gb of RAM then the 3 gb will not provide any additional
benefit and the change from DDR400 to DDR333 will slow things down
slighty.

A free utility written by MVP Bill James to report on actual usage of
the paging file in Windows XP can be downloaded from
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_pagefilemon.htm or from
http://billsway.com/notes_public/WinXP_Tweaks/

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

doS2k5

Thanks Ron, I have an AMD64 3400+ cpu,I forgot to mention that.
TIA

"Ron Martell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "doS2k5" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >3GB memory when using DDR333 or 2 GB memory when using DDR400
> >

> Depends on your application load.
>
> If the computer is actually using the paging file with 2 gb of DDR400
> - that is it is moving active memory content from RAM to the paging
> file so as to free up that RAM for other, currently more important,
> uses then the 3 gb will reduce or even eliminate this paging activity
> and therefore the computer will perform faster.
>
> On the other hand if there is no or minimal actual use of the paging
> file with 2 gb of RAM then the 3 gb will not provide any additional
> benefit and the change from DDR400 to DDR333 will slow things down
> slighty.
>
> A free utility written by MVP Bill James to report on actual usage of
> the paging file in Windows XP can be downloaded from
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_pagefilemon.htm or from
> http://billsway.com/notes_public/WinXP_Tweaks/
>
> Good luck
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada