Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Cannot Boot Up

Cannot Boot Up

mike

When I try to boot up in XP, I get the Microsoft welcome screen, then
it changes to a black blank screen and I cannot access anything at all.

Phantom

Boot in safe mode, then restore to earlier time. Cause???
"mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> When I try to boot up in XP, I get the Microsoft welcome screen, then
> it changes to a black blank screen and I cannot access anything at all.

mike

I tried safe mode but still get the same black blank screen with "Safe
Mode" on the screen. Unable to access anything. I have connected
another HDD, and I am able to access the unbootable HDD this way, so I
know no data has been lost. It originally developed this fault when I
tried a system restore.

Noel Paton

"mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I tried safe mode but still get the same black blank screen with "Safe
> Mode" on the screen. Unable to access anything. I have connected
> another HDD, and I am able to access the unbootable HDD this way, so I
> know no data has been lost. It originally developed this fault when I
> tried a system restore.

Boot to 'Last known Good Configuration'

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
A Happy Xmas, and a Merry New Year to everyone!

mike

tried it......still the same.

Noel Paton

"mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> tried it......still the same.

In that case, you may have to do a Repair Install - look here
(make sure you read the Warnings!)

Which SP do you have loaded?
Which SP is your CD?

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
A Happy Xmas, and a Merry New Year to everyone!

mike

If I do a Repair Install, won't I lose all my data? I don't have any
service packs installed.

Noel Paton

"mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> If I do a Repair Install, won't I lose all my data? I don't have any
> service packs installed.

No - a Repair Install is exactly that, A Repair
You need to ensure that you have a 'proper' XP CD to hand, rather than a
'Recovery Disk' - then follow Michael's instructions.

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
A Happy Xmas, and a Merry New Year to everyone!

Phantom

Repair option will not cause you to loose your data, will only overwrite
your Windows files.
"mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> If I do a Repair Install, won't I lose all my data? I don't have any
> service packs installed.

Wanderer

"mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>If I do a Repair Install, won't I lose all my data? I don't have any
>service packs installed.

I appreciate the link Mike. I've passed it to another who will be
needing it. The only repair I've done on XP lost one or two key files
for programs which ceased to work properly. The data files created in
the programs were completely intact. No personal data loss whatsoever.

Might need to re-install certain programs that tie themselves into the
OS. There was no user data loss from the repair.