Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Wireles-B and Wireless-G

Wireles-B and Wireless-G

James Luu

I plan to purchase a Wireless Router and Wiress Adapter. So what different
between Wireless-B and
Wireless-G?

Toolman Tim

"James Luu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
|I plan to purchase a Wireless Router and Wiress Adapter. So what different
| between Wireless-B and
| Wireless-G?

G is faster. B is 11mps, G is 54mps, IIRC. If it's for broadband Internet,
it's likely to be moot. Both are faster than most ISPs will upload to your
system. If you plan on sharing files locally, faster is better.

Dan DiNicolo

news:mh0Cd.31880$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "James Luu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> |I plan to purchase a Wireless Router and Wiress Adapter. So what
> different
> | between Wireless-B and
> | Wireless-G?
> |
> G is faster. B is 11mps, G is 54mps, IIRC. If it's for broadband Internet,
> it's likely to be moot. Both are faster than most ISPs will upload to your
> system. If you plan on sharing files locally, faster is better.

Another side benefit is that G equipment is backwards compatible with B
equipment - so, if you have a laptop with a G card, you'll still be able to
connect to both G and B networks should you ever roam
--
Dan DiNicolo
MCSE, CCNP, CCDA

Toolman Tim

"Dan DiNicolo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jY0Cd.14779$(E-Mail Removed)...
| "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| news:mh0Cd.31880$(E-Mail Removed)...
| >
| > "James Luu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| > |I plan to purchase a Wireless Router and Wiress Adapter. So what
| > different
| > | between Wireless-B and
| > | Wireless-G?
| > |
| > G is faster. B is 11mps, G is 54mps, IIRC. If it's for broadband
Internet,
| > it's likely to be moot. Both are faster than most ISPs will upload to
your
| > system. If you plan on sharing files locally, faster is better.
| >

| Another side benefit is that G equipment is backwards compatible with B
| equipment - so, if you have a laptop with a G card, you'll still be able
| connect to both G and B networks should you ever roam

Quite true. And another thing I'd consider before replacing my current "G"
card in the laptop is to get one that's WAP compatible as well. My router
is, but the card isn't, so I'm still on WEP.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Toolman Tim wrote:

> Quite true. And another thing I'd consider before replacing my current "G"
> card in the laptop is to get one that's WAP compatible as well. My router
> is, but the card isn't, so I'm still on WEP.

I think you mean WPA ... but close enough. WAP refers to Wireless Access
Point.

Toolman Tim

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| Toolman Tim wrote:
|
| > Quite true. And another thing I'd consider before replacing my current
"G"
| > card in the laptop is to get one that's WAP compatible as well. My
router
| > is, but the card isn't, so I'm still on WEP.
|
| I think you mean WPA ... but close enough. WAP refers to Wireless Access
| Point.

Yep - you're right. It's that "end of a three day weekend brain fart" thing
again <g>

DC

Toolman Tim wrote:

> "Rgr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>| Toolman Tim wrote:
>|
>| > Quite true. And another thing I'd consider before replacing my current
> "G"
>| > card in the laptop is to get one that's WAP compatible as well. My
> router
>| > is, but the card isn't, so I'm still on WEP.
>|
>| I think you mean WPA ... but close enough. WAP refers to Wireless Access
>| Point.

> Yep - you're right. It's that "end of a three day weekend brain fart" thing
> again <g>

/me lighting a match and cracking open a window

--
DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

Toolman Tim

"DC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
| Toolman Tim wrote:
|
| > "Rgr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| >| Toolman Tim wrote:
| >|
| > "G"
| > router
| >|
| >| I think you mean WPA ... but close enough. WAP refers to Wireless
Access
| >| Point.
|
| > Yep - you're right. It's that "end of a three day weekend brain fart"
thing
| > again <g>
|
| /me lighting a match and cracking open a window

"Everyone DUCK! It's gonna blow!!!"