Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > File Associations

File Associations

joe

How do I unassociate a file with an application?

tia,
-joe
http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/jbc33/

dadiOH

joe wrote:
> How do I unassociate a file with an application?

Just delete it in File Types.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.05...

joe

"dadiOH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> joe wrote:
> How do I unassociate a file with an application?
>
> Just delete it in File Types.
>
> --
> dadiOH
> ____________________________
>
> dadiOH's dandies v3.05...

I forgot to mention my os is Windows XP.

File Types? I went to the GIMP (for windows) Help site and it had no help
listed for "file association" or "file types."

Then I tried the Properties window (right click menu) and discovered that
"Properties" allows the user to change the program which opens the file, but
not the icon. So how do I change the icon as well? (I am trying to
unassociate this file type with GIMP.)

--
joe
http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/jbc33/

Sunny

"joe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4M_Bd.37025$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "dadiOH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> joe wrote:
>> How do I unassociate a file with an application?
>>
>> Just delete it in File Types.
>>
>> --
>> dadiOH
>> ____________________________
>>
>> dadiOH's dandies v3.05...
>> ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from
>> LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that.
>> Get it at http://mysite.verizon.net/xico
>>

> I forgot to mention my os is Windows XP.
>
> File Types? I went to the GIMP (for windows) Help site and it had no help
> listed for "file association" or "file types."
>
> Then I tried the Properties window (right click menu) and discovered that
> "Properties" allows the user to change the program which opens the file,
> but not the icon. So how do I change the icon as well? (I am trying to
> unassociate this file type with GIMP.)

With Windows Explorer, open any file, and then ;
Tools > Folder Options > File Types >
Select the file extension then in "Details" click "Change".
In the "Open With" window, select the program you want to use.
Tick "Always Use etc." The Icon will magically change,
(For all files of that type on your PC.)

joe

"Sunny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:7F0Cd.100827$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "joe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4M_Bd.37025$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "dadiOH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> joe wrote:
>>> How do I unassociate a file with an application?
>>>
>>> Just delete it in File Types.
>>>
>>> --
>>> dadiOH
>>> ____________________________
>>>
>>> dadiOH's dandies v3.05...
>>> ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from
>>> LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that.
>>> Get it at http://mysite.verizon.net/xico
>>>

>> I forgot to mention my os is Windows XP.
>>
>> File Types? I went to the GIMP (for windows) Help site and it had no help
>> listed for "file association" or "file types."
>>
>> Then I tried the Properties window (right click menu) and discovered that
>> "Properties" allows the user to change the program which opens the file,
>> but not the icon. So how do I change the icon as well? (I am trying to
>> unassociate this file type with GIMP.)

> With Windows Explorer, open any file, and then ;
> Tools > Folder Options > File Types >
> Select the file extension then in "Details" click "Change".
> In the "Open With" window, select the program you want to use.
> Tick "Always Use etc." The Icon will magically change,
> (For all files of that type on your PC.)

PERFECT, thx Sunny!

--
joe
http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/jbc33/