Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Copyright violation in the UK?

Copyright violation in the UK?

Jimmy

Does anbody know if anybody has ever been prosecuted for copyright violation
in the UK? Eg. what is the offence under UK law and is it criminal or is it
a civil offence only?

Pennywise@DerryMaine.gov

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 19:27:35 -0000, "Jimmy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|> Does anbody know if anybody has ever been prosecuted for copyright violation
|> in the UK? Eg. what is the offence under UK law and is it criminal or is it
|> a civil offence only?

Searching Slashdot.org should give good results.

Marc Townson

Yes people are still geting fined for it.
Do a quick search on google news:
http://news.google.co.uk/news?q=Copy...ff&sa=N&tab=wn

Marc.

"Jimmy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cr9huu$sjb$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does anbody know if anybody has ever been prosecuted for copyright
> violation in the UK? Eg. what is the offence under UK law and is it
> criminal or is it a civil offence only?

Jono

"Marc Townson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cr9ngv$735$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes people are still geting fined for it.
> Do a quick search on google news:
> http://news.google.co.uk/news?q=Copy...ff&sa=N&tab=wn

I have not seen anybody in the UK fined for "using" copied software or
music, I am specifically asking about "users" not distributors and I'm
asking specifically about the UK, to my knowledge not one person has yet
been convicted or sued.

> Marc.
>
> "Jimmy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:cr9huu$sjb$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Does anbody know if anybody has ever been prosecuted for copyright
>> violation in the UK? Eg. what is the offence under UK law and is it
>> criminal or is it a civil offence only?

EricP

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 19:27:35 -0000, "Jimmy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Does anbody know if anybody has ever been prosecuted for copyright violation
>in the UK? Eg. what is the offence under UK law and is it criminal or is it
>a civil offence only?

In England & Wales, you can't be prosecuted for copyright violation,
its a Civil wrong. Only damages can be sought against you, and these
assess the loss the copyright holder made by you doing it.

Bobby

"EricP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 19:27:35 -0000, "Jimmy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Does anbody know if anybody has ever been prosecuted for copyright
>>violation
>>in the UK? Eg. what is the offence under UK law and is it criminal or is
>>it
>>a civil offence only?
>>

> In England & Wales, you can't be prosecuted for copyright violation,
> its a Civil wrong. Only damages can be sought against you, and these
> assess the loss the copyright holder made by you doing it.

That may explain why I've never seen anybody being sued for using a software
program, especially as in many cases the cost of suing someone would many
times outweight the cost of the actual software they were using or hte music
they were using.

Conor

In article <cr9huu$sjb$(E-Mail Removed)>, Jimmy says...
> Does anbody know if anybody has ever been prosecuted for copyright violation
> in the UK?

Yes, my mate. He was selling dodgy PS2 games on a market stall in South
Yorkshire. Got a 2000 fine plus shitloads of community service. He
would have had a prison sentence but apparently the local prisons were
over filled at the time.

--
Conor

-- George Patton

Conor

In article <cr9p45$so4$(E-Mail Removed)>, Jono says...

> "Marc Townson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:cr9ngv$735$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Yes people are still geting fined for it.
> > Do a quick search on google news:
> > http://news.google.co.uk/news?q=Copy...ff&sa=N&tab=wn

> I have not seen anybody in the UK fined for "using" copied software or
> music, I am specifically asking about "users" not distributors and I'm
> asking specifically about the UK, to my knowledge not one person has yet
> been convicted or sued.

BSA bring companies to court all the time for using unlicenced
Windows/MS Office for example.

--
Conor

-- George Patton

Conor

In article <cra9i1$qd7$(E-Mail Removed)>, Bobby says...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2002/02...ets_163_1000s/

--
Conor

-- George Patton

Bobby

"Conor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> In article <cra9i1$qd7$(E-Mail Removed)>, Bobby says...
>

>> That may explain why I've never seen anybody being sued for using a
>> software
>> program, especially as in many cases the cost of suing someone would many
>> times outweight the cost of the actual software they were using or hte
>> music
>> they were using.
>>

> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2002/02...ets_163_1000s/
>
> --
> Conor
>
> An imperfect plan executed violently is far superior to a perfect plan.
> -- George Patton

Hi Conor

that is one of the largest companies in the UK, they were using 400 copies
of office. And again it was not criminal it was a civil case and again it
did not go to court even.

So my point is that please can anybody show me one single episode in the
entire history of the universe where a single private home user was ever
taken to court. If they dont' take a huge corporation like Bainst and Earnst
to court for using pirated software as I said due to the cost, then how in
the world could anybody imagine that a single private user individual is
going to get taken to court and sued.

These are all civil offenses, and as long as you don't "sell" pirated
software you are not breaking the criminal law of the land and therefore
cannot go to jail....and cannot get a criminal record.

So my point, is what real and solid deterant is there against using copied
software for users? If country like the UK has 25% of copied software being
used in business, without one single private small business person being
sued ever int he history of the world, then what is it like in other
countries??