Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > event id 256 and painfully slow boot - win2k-sp4

event id 256 and painfully slow boot - win2k-sp4

Andreas Perfora’tus

I am getting 28 timeouts from plug and play manager logged in the event
viewer on my win2k-sp4 box. They all are event ID 256. Additionally, it
takes 7 minutes for the desktop to appear after the "log on to windows"
screen appears (the username and password screen).

Is there any way I can troubleshoot and hopefully resolve the painfully
long boot up?

Supplemental info: I've got no driver conflicts, the machine runs fast
and stable, and everything works properly. It just the long wait while
the plug and play manager times out very boot. And the error message is
not in the least bit helpful: "Timed out sending notification of device
interface change to window of "" ". Thats right, there is nothing
between the double quotes in the error message. Its always just: window
of "". I've even tried uninstalled the potentially offending MS hotfix.
Nothing I've tried makes it any better or any worse.

Any ideas or suggestions would be very welcome. Short of re-installing,
which I might have to end up doing anyway, is there a way of wiping the
hardware configuration from the registry and starting fresh? Would this
possibly make a difference?

--
Stu
"If people put as much effort into their relationship with their mate as

why?

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 17:36:28 GMT, Andreas Perfora’tus wrote:

>I am getting 28 timeouts from plug and play manager logged in the event
>viewer on my win2k-sp4 box. They all are event ID 256. Additionally, it
>takes 7 minutes for the desktop to appear after the "log on to windows"
>screen appears (the username and password screen).
>
>Is there any way I can troubleshoot and hopefully resolve the painfully
>long boot up?

www.google.com
Web Results 1 - 10 of about 143,000 English pages for
windows 2000 event id 256
.. (0.16 seconds)

http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBE/Tip2400/rh2418.htm

>Supplemental info: I've got no driver conflicts, the machine runs fast
>and stable, and everything works properly. It just the long wait while
>the plug and play manager times out very boot. And the error message is

It's a warning.

>not in the least bit helpful: "Timed out sending notification of device
>interface change to window of "" ". Thats right, there is nothing

That's the message ""

>between the double quotes in the error message. Its always just: window
>of "". I've even tried uninstalled the potentially offending MS hotfix.

You can't always uninstall a hotfix if it updates the kernel and
associated files, not even in reverse order.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/842644

The event is mentioned in the patch notice

Try www.google.com yourself.

>Nothing I've tried makes it any better or any worse.
>
>Any ideas or suggestions would be very welcome. Short of re-installing,

<snip>

Me

Andreas Perfora’tus

On 02 Jan 2005 I could have sworn I heard why? sing a little song and the
words went something like this:

> On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 17:36:28 GMT, Andreas Perfora’tus wrote:
>
>>I am getting 28 timeouts from plug and play manager logged in the event
>>viewer on my win2k-sp4 box. They all are event ID 256. Additionally, it
>>takes 7 minutes for the desktop to appear after the "log on to

windows"
>>screen appears (the username and password screen).
>>
>>Is there any way I can troubleshoot and hopefully resolve the painfully
>>long boot up?

> www.google.com
> Web Results 1 - 10 of about 143,000 English pages for
> windows 2000 event id 256
> . (0.16 seconds)
>
> http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBE/Tip2400/rh2418.htm
>

>>Supplemental info: I've got no driver conflicts, the machine runs fast
>>and stable, and everything works properly. It just the long wait while
>>the plug and play manager times out very boot. And the error message is

> It's a warning.
>
>>not in the least bit helpful: "Timed out sending notification of device
>>interface change to window of "" ". Thats right, there is nothing

> That's the message ""
>
>>between the double quotes in the error message. Its always just: window
>>of "". I've even tried uninstalled the potentially offending MS hotfix.

> You can't always uninstall a hotfix if it updates the kernel and
> associated files, not even in reverse order.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/842644
>
> The event is mentioned in the patch notice
>
> Try www.google.com yourself.
>
>>Nothing I've tried makes it any better or any worse.
>>
>>Any ideas or suggestions would be very welcome. Short of re-installing,

> <snip>
>
> Me

Thank you kindly for the response, but I've already done and been through
all that. That was why I was asking for any -->other<-- possible
suggestions. Thanks anyway. I do appreciate you taking the time to reply.

--

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 04:37:30 GMT, Andreas Perfora’tus wrote:

>On 02 Jan 2005 I could have sworn I heard why? sing a little song and the
>words went something like this:
>

>> On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 17:36:28 GMT, Andreas Perfora’tus wrote:
>>
>>>I am getting 28 timeouts from plug and play manager logged in the event
>>>viewer on my win2k-sp4 box. They all are event ID 256. Additionally, it
>>>takes 7 minutes for the desktop to appear after the "log on to

>windows"
>>>screen appears (the username and password screen).

<snip>

>> http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBE/Tip2400/rh2418.htm

<snip>

>Thank you kindly for the response, but I've already done and been through

Sometimes it hekps to mention a few of the things you tried. After all -
"Nothing I've tried makes it any better or any worse." is too much like
I googled every site

>all that. That was why I was asking for any -->other<-- possible
>suggestions. Thanks anyway. I do appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Have you figured out if it a hardware change or software only i.e. the
MS patch?

Create a new hardware profile and in the BIOS use the reset
configuration data, to redetect hardware.

A quick google has a longer similar answer.
http://www.ntcompatible.com/thread27971-1.html

If you think it's hardware maybe delete the device registry key? Do a
backup first. The registry entry is mentioned here,
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro.../plugplay.mspx

Me

Andreas Perfora’tus

On 04 Jan 2005 I could have sworn I heard why? sing a little song and
the words went something like this:

> Have you figured out if it a hardware change or software only i.e. the
> MS patch?

I do believe its a hardware change as opposed to the MS patch. I did
remove a network card a few months ago. However, I did not notice the
slow boot problem appear at that particular time. Since then I also
upgraded my video card, but they both use the same Nvidia driver. I'm
pretty sure that each of the changes have cumulatively slowed the boot
slightly.

> Create a new hardware profile and in the BIOS use the reset
> configuration data, to redetect hardware.

That's a great idea! I hadn't thought of doing something like that. Would
I be correct in assuming that creating a new hardware profile to use by
default instead of copying an existing one will force an entire
redetection of all hardware by win2k when I reboot? Sounds very
promising. Thanks for the idea.

> A quick google has a longer similar answer.
> http://www.ntcompatible.com/thread27971-1.html

Actually I've already read this particular thread on the above-mentioned
url. Resetting the config in the BIOS had no effect either. But, the idea
of a NEW hardware profile in 2k is definitely worth a try. I did try
poking around in the 2k hardware configuration and remove some
unknown/old devices and such, but I got into an endless loop of re-
detection of all the devices over and over every reboot. I couldn't get
it to resolve, and eventually had to restore the registry. Thank goodness
for "erunt". On the plus side, I since learned to make a backup copy of
the working hardware profile.

> If you think it's hardware maybe delete the device registry key? Do a
> backup first. The registry entry is mentioned here,
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...ro/evaluate/fe
> atfunc/plugplay.mspx

Yes, thats exactly what I was thinking of trying. I just had no idea how
to go about it, and I evidently wasn't searching google or the mskb with
the correct terms to find it. The "Plug and Play Device Tree" section
will probably give me enough to go on.

I must apologize for being so vague in the first place. I tend to be too
verbose by nature, and was trying to keep it brief.

Please accept my very sincere thanks for your kind assistance and
patience. Thank you.

--

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 01:01:35 GMT, Andreas Perfora’tus wrote:

>On 04 Jan 2005 I could have sworn I heard why? sing a little song and
>the words went something like this:
>
>> Have you figured out if it a hardware change or software only i.e. the
>> MS patch?

>I do believe its a hardware change as opposed to the MS patch. I did
>remove a network card a few months ago. However, I did not notice the

<snip>
>> Create a new hardware profile and in the BIOS use the reset
>> configuration data, to redetect hardware.

>That's a great idea! I hadn't thought of doing something like that. Would
>I be correct in assuming that creating a new hardware profile to use by
>default instead of copying an existing one will force an entire

You can change the order of the profile in system properties. It's a -
let me pick or
use the first listed after x seconds.

>redetection of all hardware by win2k when I reboot? Sounds very

I am not quite sure it does, it's not something I have tried. What it
does let me do is enable/disable specific bits of hardware / services /
change display modes. For example 1024 or 1152 screen res, wireless or
wired NIC docking station or not.

Looks like it's a part copy
http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBH/tip3700/rh3790.htm

Example of setting hardware profile / control panel device.
http://www.winnetmag.com/Windows/Art...eID/66/66.html

Haven't had such a problem before. At least with a new profile you can
disable extra devices (not required to boot) or even remove devices and
allow for redetection at next boot.

This saves messing with current (although slow) setup you can always get
back to a working configuration.

You may want to try the newsgroups,

microsoft.public.win2000.hardware
microsoft.public.win2000.setup