Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Cursor flies all over

Cursor flies all over

geercon@alltel.net

My cursor flies to where I don't want it a few times a day. This
happens only on my Windows 98se machine, never on my XP box. It's not
an intruder; it happens with the Internet disconnected. It's not
particular to any programs; it can happen on the desktop, in Word, etc.

I have eliminated virii and spyware so that's not it. It's a logitech
USB optical wheel mouse and it has been working fine. Suggestions?

D.

docmill

news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com:

> My cursor flies to where I don't want it a few times a day. This
> happens only on my Windows 98se machine, never on my XP box. It's not
> an intruder; it happens with the Internet disconnected. It's not
> particular to any programs; it can happen on the desktop, in Word, etc.
>
> I have eliminated virii and spyware so that's not it. It's a logitech
> USB optical wheel mouse and it has been working fine. Suggestions?
>
> D.

Just delete it from the device manager and reload it. And any software
that uses it. If another install doesn't help, park it.

--
+++++++++++ SEND ME A LINK +++++++++++

Stevo

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> My cursor flies to where I don't want it a few times a day. This
> happens only on my Windows 98se machine, never on my XP box. It's not
> an intruder; it happens with the Internet disconnected. It's not
> particular to any programs; it can happen on the desktop, in Word,
> etc.
>
> I have eliminated virii and spyware so that's not it. It's a logitech
> USB optical wheel mouse and it has been working fine. Suggestions?
>
> D.

I experienced a similar problem just the other day, a new Targus USB
optical mini mouse added to a new laptop. Every now and then a very
erratic jump to somewhere else on the screen, likewise not particular to
any set of circumstances. Tried all sorts of things, adjusting setting,
reloading drivers etc.. just about to give up and toss the mouse when I
spilt some WD40 on a corner of the mouse mat. Took the mat away to clean
it and in it's absence pulled an old mat out to use - the mouse problem
disappeared!! The original mat was also new, a small thin and fairly
hard and shiny mat whereas the 'old' mat was the more traditional
covered soft rubber type. Once the original mat was clean and dry, I
tried it again and the problem came back - obviously that mat is not
compatible with the mouse and I have tossed it in favour of the older
type.. don't know if that helps you with your problem, but it seems
that sometimes strange things are caused by the strangest things..

--
Stevo
(pull the PIN to reply by e-mail)

Caractucus Potts

(E-Mail Removed) wrote in news:1104646295.691716.121300
@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> My cursor flies to where I don't want it a few times a day. This
> happens only on my Windows 98se machine, never on my XP box. It's not
> an intruder; it happens with the Internet disconnected. It's not
> particular to any programs; it can happen on the desktop, in Word, etc.
>
> I have eliminated virii and spyware so that's not it. It's a logitech
> USB optical wheel mouse and it has been working fine. Suggestions?
>
> D.

I spent ages trying to get my mates mouse to work and it was on a glass
table. Doh!!! What a dodo, of course optical mouse wont work on shiny
surface so maybe your mouse mat is too shiny to work properly.
Try a dull mat and see if that works.

geercon@alltel.net

THat all makes sense as I did get a shiny black mouse pad for Xmas!

D.