Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > TV on notebook

TV on notebook

puffy

Hello~!

I have satellite TV and was wondering how would I get a connetion thru
to my notebook so I can watch tv and listen to music?

What is required?

Would I need a video card with TV out?

Thanks in advance!

G. Morgan

Subject: TV on notebook
Newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
=> puffy <= wrote:

>Hello~!
>
>I have satellite TV and was wondering how would I get a connetion thru
>to my notebook so I can watch tv and listen to music?
>
>What is required?
>
>Would I need a video card with TV out?

Do you have a video input on the laptop?

The better setup would be a dedicated desktop PC to use as media server and
stream the content to the laptop via a LAN.

I have a Hauppage PVR250 TV tuner card and use Snapstream Beyond TV software for
mine.

--
-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email

IncognitoŽŠ$

I find ATI USB TV Tuner really great. I have an older USB 1 version but now
you can purchase the slightly improved USB 2.0 version. I am guessing they
have made a great piece of hardware even better.

"puffy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello~!
>
> I have satellite TV and was wondering how would I get a connetion thru
> to my notebook so I can watch tv and listen to music?
>
> What is required?
>
> Would I need a video card with TV out?
>
> Thanks in advance!

Toolman Tim

"G. Morgan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| Subject: TV on notebook
| Newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
| => puffy <= wrote:
|
| >Hello~!
| >
| >I have satellite TV and was wondering how would I get a connetion thru
| >to my notebook so I can watch tv and listen to music?
| >
| >What is required?
| >
| >Would I need a video card with TV out?
| >

| Do you have a video input on the laptop?
|
| The better setup would be a dedicated desktop PC to use as media server
and
| stream the content to the laptop via a LAN.
|
| I have a Hauppage PVR250 TV tuner card and use Snapstream Beyond TV
software for
| mine.

Love that Snapstream! Wish I had a remote maybe next year <g>

Dead_Dad

You also (depending on which satserv you use) might might want to check out
something like this:
http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/produ..._novasusb.html It's a DVB-S
(i.e. Dish Network, FTA, etc.) receiver that plugs into a USB port. As is,
you can only receive non-encrypted signals (i.e. Free To Air), but there is
/lots/ of software out there that will allow you to receive Dish or
ExpressVu. I was chatting with one fellow who tried to find out from
ExpressVu how to receive his /paid/ subscription on his computer. They were
somewhat less than helpful, <G> so he got a friend to set him up. The
friend couldn't believe that this fellow only wanted the channels that he
was paying for!

Thnik about it!
Dead_Dad

P.S. I hope you have a /large/ hard drive. You need about 1 gigabyte of
hard disk space per hour of recorded video. <GBG>

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
IncognitoŽŠ$ <(E-Mail Removed)> babbled:
> I find ATI USB TV Tuner really great. I have an older USB 1 version
> but now you can purchase the slightly improved USB 2.0 version. I am
> guessing they have made a great piece of hardware even better.
>

> "puffy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hello~!
>>
>> I have satellite TV and was wondering how would I get a connetion
>> thru to my notebook so I can watch tv and listen to music?
>>
>> What is required?
>>
>> Would I need a video card with TV out?
>>
>> Thanks in advance!

G. Morgan

Subject: Re: TV on notebook
=> Toolman Tim <= wrote:

>Love that Snapstream! Wish I had a remote maybe next year <g>

I love it too... I just bought the TV card as a Christmas present for myself,
I'm still getting SnapStream for free for another week. I'm hooked though -
they are gonna get their $75 when the demo expires!

The remote came with the TV card. Which card do you have?

--
-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email

Toolman Tim

"G. Morgan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| Subject: Re: TV on notebook
| Newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
| => Toolman Tim <= wrote:
|
| >Love that Snapstream! Wish I had a remote maybe next year <g>
| >

| I love it too... I just bought the TV card as a Christmas present for
myself,
| I'm still getting SnapStream for free for another week. I'm hooked
though -
| they are gonna get their $75 when the demo expires!
|
| The remote came with the TV card. Which card do you have?

Gee - don't remember...it was some generic thing, about $50. I had TV cards
in some old Pentium 233MHz computers, and always loved the idea. But I'll
have to get the credit card caught up before buying any more toys..heh heh
heh...

IncognitoŽŠ$

Awesome! I was thinking about just that very thing not too long ago. Now I
have to find out where to buy it! If this works it means no more carrying
my BEV receiver with my laptop to my ship....woohoo. Thanks.

"Dead_Dad" <s p a m t r a p @ y a h o o . c o m> wrote in message
> You also (depending on which satserv you use) might might want to check
> out something like this:
> http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/produ..._novasusb.html It's a DVB-S
> (i.e. Dish Network, FTA, etc.) receiver that plugs into a USB port. As
> is, you can only receive non-encrypted signals (i.e. Free To Air), but
> there is /lots/ of software out there that will allow you to receive Dish
> or ExpressVu. I was chatting with one fellow who tried to find out from
> ExpressVu how to receive his /paid/ subscription on his computer. They
> were somewhat less than helpful, <G> so he got a friend to set him up.
> The friend couldn't believe that this fellow only wanted the channels that
> he was paying for!
>
> Thnik about it!
> Dead_Dad
>
> P.S. I hope you have a /large/ hard drive. You need about 1 gigabyte of
> hard disk space per hour of recorded video. <GBG>
>
> In news:(E-Mail Removed),
> IncognitoŽŠ$ <(E-Mail Removed)> babbled:
>> I find ATI USB TV Tuner really great. I have an older USB 1 version
>> but now you can purchase the slightly improved USB 2.0 version. I am
>> guessing they have made a great piece of hardware even better.
>>

>> "puffy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hello~!
>>>
>>> I have satellite TV and was wondering how would I get a connetion
>>> thru to my notebook so I can watch tv and listen to music?
>>>
>>> What is required?
>>>
>>> Would I need a video card with TV out?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance!

IncognitoŽŠ$

oh yeah by the way i have recorded audio/video to my desktop from my
receiver using divx as the compressor....the resulting files were obviously
much smaller than straight mpegs and much the same quality. its something
for anyone to consider if the tuner software supports other codecs.

"Dead_Dad" <s p a m t r a p @ y a h o o . c o m> wrote in message
> You also (depending on which satserv you use) might might want to check
> out something like this:
> http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/produ..._novasusb.html It's a DVB-S
> (i.e. Dish Network, FTA, etc.) receiver that plugs into a USB port. As
> is, you can only receive non-encrypted signals (i.e. Free To Air), but
> there is /lots/ of software out there that will allow you to receive Dish
> or ExpressVu. I was chatting with one fellow who tried to find out from
> ExpressVu how to receive his /paid/ subscription on his computer. They
> were somewhat less than helpful, <G> so he got a friend to set him up.
> The friend couldn't believe that this fellow only wanted the channels that
> he was paying for!
>
> Thnik about it!
> Dead_Dad
>
> P.S. I hope you have a /large/ hard drive. You need about 1 gigabyte of
> hard disk space per hour of recorded video. <GBG>
>
> In news:(E-Mail Removed),
> IncognitoŽŠ$ <(E-Mail Removed)> babbled:
>> I find ATI USB TV Tuner really great. I have an older USB 1 version
>> but now you can purchase the slightly improved USB 2.0 version. I am
>> guessing they have made a great piece of hardware even better.
>>

>> "puffy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hello~!
>>>
>>> I have satellite TV and was wondering how would I get a connetion
>>> thru to my notebook so I can watch tv and listen to music?
>>>
>>> What is required?
>>>
>>> Would I need a video card with TV out?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance!

johnny hinnant