Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Help creating bootable backup Hard drive

Help creating bootable backup Hard drive

Jeff G

For the sake of security, I bought a third HD. I have two HD's (a 30 GB
Maxtor as a master and a 40 GB WD as a slave) right now. I am running
Win XP Pro.

I used the WD Data Lifeguard software to copy my master HD to my slave.
There were two errors out of 65,000 files. The WD software said the
errors (files that couldn't be transferred) were not criticaal, and that
Windows would probably recreate them once it was restarted.

So I shut down my computer. I unplugged the power connector from the
Maxtor and its IDE plug. I moved the jumper on the WD drive to make it
the master, and unplugged the secondary drive IDE plug from it and
plugged in the master IDE plug that had been plugged into the Maxtor.
Then I went to restart the computer.

I got through POST fine, and the computer detected the WD drive as the
primary master. The devices attached were all listed, but the bootup
hung up at the 'Verifying DMI Pool' message. I then got a message I
don't recall entirely about my DHCP. I recall there was a colon after it
so it expected me to enter some value. I tried a couple times but could
get no further.

I plugged everything back in the way it was and all is fine. This time
I cloned my master to my slave using Norton Ghost 2003 drive copy.

What can I do or should I do to get this to work? I want to make sure
that I can boot to my backup drive before removing it and replacing it
with my new drive. Its pointless to make what I think is a backup
without testing it first to verify that it will indeed bootup.

--------------------------------------

Also, I was going to try and use Partition Magic 8.0 to partition my new
120 GB WD HD into a 30 GB and 90 GB segment. The 30 GB segment would be
used for me to copy my current HD to, and the 90 GB segment for
everything else. I don't recall a shard of DOS. Should I use Partition
Magic for this operation, or could someone tell me here how to partition
the new HD with DOS commands?

Unk

Guide to Norton Ghost
http://ghost.radified.com/

How To Create A Bootable Ghost Rescue CD
http://digispy.nightspirit.nl/C10/P85/C10P85A1526.htm
http://radified.com/Ghost/ghost_1.htm

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 21:14:59 GMT, Jeff G <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>For the sake of security, I bought a third HD. I have two HD's (a 30 GB
>Maxtor as a master and a 40 GB WD as a slave) right now. I am running
>Win XP Pro.
>
>I used the WD Data Lifeguard software to copy my master HD to my slave.
> There were two errors out of 65,000 files. The WD software said the
>errors (files that couldn't be transferred) were not criticaal, and that
>Windows would probably recreate them once it was restarted.
>
>So I shut down my computer. I unplugged the power connector from the
>Maxtor and its IDE plug. I moved the jumper on the WD drive to make it
>the master, and unplugged the secondary drive IDE plug from it and
>plugged in the master IDE plug that had been plugged into the Maxtor.
>Then I went to restart the computer.
>
>I got through POST fine, and the computer detected the WD drive as the
>primary master. The devices attached were all listed, but the bootup
>hung up at the 'Verifying DMI Pool' message. I then got a message I
>don't recall entirely about my DHCP. I recall there was a colon after it
>so it expected me to enter some value. I tried a couple times but could
>get no further.
>
>I plugged everything back in the way it was and all is fine. This time
>I cloned my master to my slave using Norton Ghost 2003 drive copy.
>
>What can I do or should I do to get this to work? I want to make sure
>that I can boot to my backup drive before removing it and replacing it
>with my new drive. Its pointless to make what I think is a backup
>without testing it first to verify that it will indeed bootup.
>
>--------------------------------------
>
>Also, I was going to try and use Partition Magic 8.0 to partition my new
>120 GB WD HD into a 30 GB and 90 GB segment. The 30 GB segment would be
>used for me to copy my current HD to, and the 90 GB segment for
>everything else. I don't recall a shard of DOS. Should I use Partition
>Magic for this operation, or could someone tell me here how to partition
>the new HD with DOS commands?

dadiOH

Jeff G wrote:
> For the sake of security, I bought a third HD. I have two HD's (a 30
> GB Maxtor as a master and a 40 GB WD as a slave) right now. I am
> running Win XP Pro.
>
> I used the WD Data Lifeguard software to copy my master HD to my
> slave. There were two errors out of 65,000 files. The WD software
> said the errors (files that couldn't be transferred) were not
> criticaal, and that Windows would probably recreate them once it was
> restarted.

And did you also make the drive bootable?

All you need do for what you want to do is fdisk/format the new drive
setting it up as a bootble drive then copy C: to it, no "imaging" or
"ghosting is necessary.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.05...

Jeff G

dadiOH wrote:
> Jeff G wrote:
>
>>For the sake of security, I bought a third HD. I have two HD's (a 30
>>GB Maxtor as a master and a 40 GB WD as a slave) right now. I am
>>running Win XP Pro.
>>
>>I used the WD Data Lifeguard software to copy my master HD to my
>> slave. There were two errors out of 65,000 files. The WD software
>>said the errors (files that couldn't be transferred) were not
>>criticaal, and that Windows would probably recreate them once it was
>>restarted.

> And did you also make the drive bootable?
>
> All you need do for what you want to do is fdisk/format the new drive
> setting it up as a bootble drive then copy C: to it, no "imaging" or
> "ghosting is necessary.
>
> --
> dadiOH
> ____________________________
>
> dadiOH's dandies v3.05...

I don't understand what I see as the most basic portion of the argument.
If the slave is identical to the master, and is plugged into the IDE
cable as the master, why won't it boot like the master?

dadiOH

Jeff G wrote:
> dadiOH wrote:
>> Jeff G wrote:
>>
>>> For the sake of security, I bought a third HD. I have two HD's (a
>>> 30 GB Maxtor as a master and a 40 GB WD as a slave) right now. I am
>>> running Win XP Pro.
>>>
>>> I used the WD Data Lifeguard software to copy my master HD to my
>>> slave. There were two errors out of 65,000 files. The WD software
>>> said the errors (files that couldn't be transferred) were not
>>> criticaal, and that Windows would probably recreate them once it was
>>> restarted.

>> And did you also make the drive bootable?
>>
>> All you need do for what you want to do is fdisk/format the new drive
>> setting it up as a bootble drive then copy C: to it, no "imaging" or
>> "ghosting is necessary.
>>
>> --
>> dadiOH
>> ____________________________
>>
>> dadiOH's dandies v3.05...
>> ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from
>> LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that.
>> Get it at http://mysite.verizon.net/xico
>>

> I don't understand what I see as the most basic portion of the
> argument. If the slave is identical to the master, and is plugged
> into the IDE cable as the master, why won't it boot like the master?

There is nothing in your post to indicate they are identical. Copying
old > new doesn't make new bootable. Which is why I asked if you had
chosen to make the new one bootable.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.05...

Pennywise@DerryMaine.gov

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 22:37:31 GMT, Jeff G <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|> > And did you also make the drive bootable?
|> >
|> > All you need do for what you want to do is fdisk/format the new drive
|> > setting it up as a bootble drive then copy C: to it, no "imaging" or
|> > "ghosting is necessary.

|> I don't understand what I see as the most basic portion of the argument.
|> If the slave is identical to the master, and is plugged into the IDE
|> cable as the master, why won't it boot like the master?

You just copied the disk contents not the MBR. (Master Boot Record, 0
track of your drive).

Jeff G

> |> I don't understand what I see as the most basic portion of the argument.
> |> If the slave is identical to the master, and is plugged into the IDE
> |> cable as the master, why won't it boot like the master?
>
> You just copied the disk contents not the MBR. (Master Boot Record, 0
> track of your drive).

Can anybody give me a step-by-step procedure for doing this? I've
started checking for sources on the internet, but it would be nice if
somebody could tell me here what I need to do rather than my spending
ten or twenty hours browsing one article after another until I find the
information I'm looking for.

Thank you.

dadiOH

Jeff G wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>> You just copied the disk contents not the MBR. (Master Boot Record, 0
>> track of your drive).
>>

> Can anybody give me a step-by-step procedure for doing this? I've
> started checking for sources on the internet, but it would be nice if
> somebody could tell me here what I need to do rather than my spending
> ten or twenty hours browsing one article after another until I find
> the information I'm looking for.

Your Western Digital Data Lifeguard gives you the option to make a drive
active (bootable). So does fdisk/format. So do any of numerous
partition managers.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q255867/

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.05...

Jeff G

dadiOH wrote:
> Jeff G wrote:
>
>>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>>>You just copied the disk contents not the MBR. (Master Boot Record, 0
>>>track of your drive).
>>>

>>Can anybody give me a step-by-step procedure for doing this? I've
>>started checking for sources on the internet, but it would be nice if
>>somebody could tell me here what I need to do rather than my spending
>>ten or twenty hours browsing one article after another until I find
>>the information I'm looking for.

> Your Western Digital Data Lifeguard gives you the option to make a drive
> active (bootable). So does fdisk/format. So do any of numerous
> partition managers.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q255867/
>

> --
> dadiOH
> ____________________________
>
> dadiOH's dandies v3.05...

If I select the WD Data Lifeguard choice "Add the Drive as the new boot
device", will I be unable to boot to my master drive? My goal is to
make my slave drive a bootable drive, then remove it and put it safely
into storage for the future.

dadiOH

Jeff G wrote:
> dadiOH wrote:
>> Jeff G wrote:

>>> Can anybody give me a step-by-step procedure for doing this? I've
>>> started checking for sources on the internet, but it would be nice
>>> if somebody could tell me here what I need to do rather than my
>>> spending ten or twenty hours browsing one article after another
>>> until I find the information I'm looking for.

>> Your Western Digital Data Lifeguard gives you the option to make a
>> drive active (bootable). So does fdisk/format. So do any of
>> numerous partition managers.
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q255867/
>>

> If I select the WD Data Lifeguard choice "Add the Drive as the new
> boot device", will I be unable to boot to my master drive?

Well, I certainly wouldn't think so. I don't use the program but its
help file says...

"When copying from partition to partition, if the destination partition
is a primary partition, Drive-To-Drive copy will make the partition
bootable. This allows you to migrate your operating system to a new
drive even if the drive was not partitioned using Data Lifeguard."

To do what you are suggesting the program would have to wipe the MBR on
the old drive. No reason to do so. I suggest a perusal of the manual -
including glossary - would be productive.
_____________________

> My goal
> is to make my slave drive a bootable drive, then remove it and put it
> safely into storage for the future.

The future being when? If next week - or even next month maybe - then
fine. If six months hence then it isn't going to do you much good
unless you never add programs, never change system stuff, etc.unless you
also log everything that you do. Better IMO to leave it in the box and
back C: up to it periodically.

--
dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.05...