Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Monitor Has Horizontal Lines

Monitor Has Horizontal Lines

sbcmkt

When we turned on the computer, the monitor had horizontal lines running
across the screen. It is not bad when first turned on but gets worse the
longer it is on. Do I need to buy a new monitor? By the way, we tried 2
different monitors and both do the same thing. Can you help me?

Myrtle

Bud Light

"sbcmkt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> When we turned on the computer, the monitor had horizontal lines running
> across the screen. It is not bad when first turned on but gets worse the
> longer it is on. Do I need to buy a new monitor? By the way, we tried 2
> different monitors and both do the same thing. Can you help me?
>
> Myrtle

Try adjusting the contrast and brightness settings and see if that helps.

Kenny

Are these white lines running diagonally across the screen? If so they are
known as flyback lines, not normally visible in a properly working monitor
or TV. As Bud says adjusting brightness & contrast may help.

--

Kenny

"Bud Light" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "sbcmkt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > When we turned on the computer, the monitor had horizontal lines running
> > across the screen. It is not bad when first turned on but gets worse

the
> > longer it is on. Do I need to buy a new monitor? By the way, we tried

2
> > different monitors and both do the same thing. Can you help me?
> >
> > Myrtle
> >

> Try adjusting the contrast and brightness settings and see if that helps.

Toolman Tim

"sbcmkt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| When we turned on the computer, the monitor had horizontal lines running
| across the screen. It is not bad when first turned on but gets worse the
| longer it is on. Do I need to buy a new monitor? By the way, we tried 2
| different monitors and both do the same thing. Can you help me?
|
| Myrtle

Do you really think if TWO monitors are displaying the same symptoms, that
the problem is in BOTH monitors? Quite unlikely, don't ya think? I'd be more
inclined to think it's a problem in the video card.

Before changing the card, try changing the screen settings (right click on a
blank part of the screen, click on properties, click on the settings tab).
If you have bad memory on the video card, different resolutions can
sometimes clear up the horizontal line problem. Also, there's the refresh
rate (click on advanced, then the monitor tab). That could be an issue as
well.

If your video is built into the motherboard, it is still usually possible to
put a second video card into one of the card slots, and disable the on-board
video.

Conor

In article sbcmkt says...
> When we turned on the computer, the monitor had horizontal lines running
> across the screen. It is not bad when first turned on but gets worse the
> longer it is on. Do I need to buy a new monitor? By the way, we tried 2
> different monitors and both do the same thing. Can you help me?

If you tried two different monitors then the monitor isn't the issue.

--
Conor

-- George Patton

Nik Schlein