Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > WinXP random shutdown problem....

WinXP random shutdown problem....

P$YCH0 78

OK, here's the problem, recently my computer has taken it upon itself
to shutdown for no aparent reason, and after it has shut down, I have
to turn off the master switch (on back of tower), wait till the green
light on my mobo goes out, wait a minute or so, then flip it back on
and push the power button, it doesn't seem to do it at any particular
time, just whenever it feels like it. Below are my system specs.
Thanks for any help!!!

Computer:
Operating System: MicrosoftWindowsXP Home Edition
OS Service Pack: Service Pack 2

Motherboard:
CPU Type: AMD AthlonXP-A, 1658 MHz (6.25 x 265)
Motherboard Name: Asus A7V8X (6 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DIMM)
Motherboard Chipset: VIA VT8377 Apollo KT400
System Memory: 1024 MB (DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type: Award Modular (09/02/04)

Display:
Video Adapter: RADEON 9600 SERIES - Secondary (256 MB)
Video Adapter: RADEON 9600 SERIES (256 MB)
3D Accelerator: ATI Radeon 9600 (RV350)

Jasper Blom

maybe infected with a virus that shutdown your pc randomly?

"P$YCH0 78" <usenetuser2000@R3M0V3_TH|$yahoo.com> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> OK, here's the problem, recently my computer has taken it upon itself
> to shutdown for no aparent reason, and after it has shut down, I have
> to turn off the master switch (on back of tower), wait till the green
> light on my mobo goes out, wait a minute or so, then flip it back on
> and push the power button, it doesn't seem to do it at any particular
> time, just whenever it feels like it. Below are my system specs.
> Thanks for any help!!!
>
> Computer:
> Operating System: MicrosoftWindowsXP Home Edition
> OS Service Pack: Service Pack 2
>
> Motherboard:
> CPU Type: AMD AthlonXP-A, 1658 MHz (6.25 x 265)
> Motherboard Name: Asus A7V8X (6 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DIMM)
> Motherboard Chipset: VIA VT8377 Apollo KT400
> System Memory: 1024 MB (DDR SDRAM)
> BIOS Type: Award Modular (09/02/04)
>
> Display:
> Video Adapter: RADEON 9600 SERIES - Secondary (256 MB)
> Video Adapter: RADEON 9600 SERIES (256 MB)
> 3D Accelerator: ATI Radeon 9600 (RV350)

Pennywise@DerryMaine.gov

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 16:44:22 -0500, P$YCH0 78
<usenetuser2000@R3M0V3_TH|$yahoo.com> wrote:

|> OK, here's the problem, recently my computer has taken it upon itself
|> to shutdown for no aparent reason

Right Click MyComputer
Properties
startup and Recovery
UnCheck Automatically restart.

Also run (WinKey) drwtsn32 and look at applications it should tell you
what program is causing your problems.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.gov

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 22:02:38 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

Woops, run (WinKey+R) drwtsn32

sigemund@postmark.net

Any updates on this one? I am very interested in this thread, as I'm
trying to help a user on a forum who is having EXACTLY the same
problem. It started for him after SP2 was installed. And it's
happening on both computers on his network. I am still thinking it's a
virus, but I don't know for sure. I had him run anti-virus (AVG) and
blaster removal tool, but neither found anything. I don't think it's
hardware, because it's too big of a coincidence to have two computers
develop the same problem at the same time. And I suspect virus because
it would've spread from one machine on the network to the other.
Perhaps any followups to this discussion can shed some light on the
issue for me.

Thanks,

Mark

P$YCH0 78 wrote:
> OK, here's the problem, recently my computer has taken it upon itself
> to shutdown for no aparent reason, and after it has shut down, I have
> to turn off the master switch (on back of tower), wait till the green
> light on my mobo goes out, wait a minute or so, then flip it back on
> and push the power button, it doesn't seem to do it at any particular
> time, just whenever it feels like it. Below are my system specs.
> Thanks for any help!!!
>
> Computer:
> Operating System: MicrosoftWindowsXP Home Edition
> OS Service Pack: Service Pack 2
>
> Motherboard:
> CPU Type: AMD AthlonXP-A, 1658 MHz (6.25 x 265)
> Motherboard Name: Asus A7V8X (6 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DIMM)
> Motherboard Chipset: VIA VT8377 Apollo KT400
> System Memory: 1024 MB (DDR SDRAM)
> BIOS Type: Award Modular (09/02/04)
>
> Display:
> Video Adapter: RADEON 9600 SERIES - Secondary (256 MB)
> Video Adapter: RADEON 9600 SERIES (256 MB)
> 3D Accelerator: ATI Radeon 9600 (RV350)

Noel Paton

Such errors are often caused by problems with the RAM - download DocMemory2
from www.simmtester.com and create the boot disk. Use this to boot the PC,
and run the test overnight to check the RAM thoroughly.
See what it reports.

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
A Happy Xmas, and a Merry New Year to everyone!

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Any updates on this one? I am very interested in this thread, as I'm
> trying to help a user on a forum who is having EXACTLY the same
> problem. It started for him after SP2 was installed. And it's
> happening on both computers on his network. I am still thinking it's a
> virus, but I don't know for sure. I had him run anti-virus (AVG) and
> blaster removal tool, but neither found anything. I don't think it's
> hardware, because it's too big of a coincidence to have two computers
> develop the same problem at the same time. And I suspect virus because
> it would've spread from one machine on the network to the other.
> Perhaps any followups to this discussion can shed some light on the
> issue for me.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark
>

> P$YCH0 78 wrote:
>> OK, here's the problem, recently my computer has taken it upon itself
>> to shutdown for no aparent reason, and after it has shut down, I have
>> to turn off the master switch (on back of tower), wait till the green
>> light on my mobo goes out, wait a minute or so, then flip it back on
>> and push the power button, it doesn't seem to do it at any particular
>> time, just whenever it feels like it. Below are my system specs.
>> Thanks for any help!!!
>>
>> Computer:
>> Operating System: MicrosoftWindowsXP Home Edition
>> OS Service Pack: Service Pack 2
>>
>> Motherboard:
>> CPU Type: AMD AthlonXP-A, 1658 MHz (6.25 x 265)
>> Motherboard Name: Asus A7V8X (6 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DIMM)
>> Motherboard Chipset: VIA VT8377 Apollo KT400
>> System Memory: 1024 MB (DDR SDRAM)
>> BIOS Type: Award Modular (09/02/04)
>>
>> Display:
>> Video Adapter: RADEON 9600 SERIES - Secondary (256 MB)
>> Video Adapter: RADEON 9600 SERIES (256 MB)
>> 3D Accelerator: ATI Radeon 9600 (RV350)

gbarassi gbarassi is offline
Junior Member

Your problem is the tower, change the tower and it will work fine