Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Temporary Internet File Folder size

Temporary Internet File Folder size

Derek F.

I used the clear history choice in Internet Options and the disk clean up
option from properties in My Computer. Looking at the temporary Internet
file folder now I am surprised to see that it is still over 1.0 GB in size.
It shows 104,000 files in 75 folders. What are they and why are they still
there?
Derek.

Jasper Blom

probably hidden files or read only files
"Derek F." <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht news:cr1ktm$fmb$(E-Mail Removed)...
I used the clear history choice in Internet Options and the disk clean up
option from properties in My Computer. Looking at the temporary Internet
file folder now I am surprised to see that it is still over 1.0 GB in size.
It shows 104,000 files in 75 folders. What are they and why are they still
there?
Derek.

DC

Jasper Blom wrote:
> ------=_NextPart_000_0011_01C4EEAF.28AF96A0

[...]

http://www.efn.no/html-bad.html
http://www.harley.com/turn-off-html/
http://www.usenet.org.uk/ukpost.html#s2

--
DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

It's not the software that's free; it's you.

Rob K

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 20:35:54 +0100, Jasper Blom wrote:

<partially quoted>
------=_NextPart_000_0011_01C4EEAF.28AF96A0

probably hidden
<end quote>

You don't know that this is a text-only group ?
Please do NOT post HTML here.

--
My E-mail address in ROT-13:

Bud Light

"Derek F." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cr1ktm$fmb$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I used the clear history choice in Internet Options and the disk clean up
> option from properties in My Computer. Looking at the temporary Internet
> file folder now I am surprised to see that it is still over 1.0 GB in

size.
> It shows 104,000 files in 75 folders. What are they and why are they still
> there?
> Derek.

Go to Internet Options and delete files and delete cookies.

Sky King

Derek F. wrote:
> I used the clear history choice in Internet Options and the disk
> clean up option from properties in My Computer. Looking at the
> temporary Internet file folder now I am surprised to see that it is
> still over 1.0 GB in size. It shows 104,000 files in 75 folders. What
> are they and why are they still there?

Commonly called "offline content" these are most often newsgroup messages
you have read (saved as <somename>.TMP. To clean them up open IE
Tools/Internet Options; on the General tab click Delete files and when the
popup shows select the option to delete offline content.

Strangely enuff CleanUp doesn't get to those .tmp files and if left alone
they can build up to quite a large chunk of hard drive real estate.

--

....Sky

Tom "Sky" King
=============

Derek F.

"Sky King" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:nP_Ad.3596$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> Derek F. wrote:
>> I used the clear history choice in Internet Options and the disk
>> clean up option from properties in My Computer. Looking at the
>> temporary Internet file folder now I am surprised to see that it is
>> still over 1.0 GB in size. It shows 104,000 files in 75 folders. What
>> are they and why are they still there?

> Commonly called "offline content" these are most often newsgroup messages
> you have read (saved as <somename>.TMP. To clean them up open IE
> Tools/Internet Options; on the General tab click Delete files and when the
> popup shows select the option to delete offline content.
>
> Strangely enuff CleanUp doesn't get to those .tmp files and if left alone
> they can build up to quite a large chunk of hard drive real estate.
>
> --
>
> ...Sky
>
> Tom "Sky" King
> =============

I tried the delete offline content option with limited success. The space
used stayed about the same and the number of files only reduced to 98,000
and the number of folders to 45.
Derek.

dadiOH

Derek F. wrote:
> I used the clear history choice in Internet Options and the disk
> clean up option from properties in My Computer. Looking at the
> temporary Internet file folder now I am surprised to see that it is
> still over 1.0 GB in size. It shows 104,000 files in 75 folders. What
> are they and why are they still there?

Every time you read a web page you download it. It stays in TIF until
you delete it or until the maximum capacity (set by you is reached)

To delete, use Internet Options, General tab, Delete. To set cache
size, same place but settings.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.05...

Derek F.

"dadiOH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Derek F. wrote:
>> I used the clear history choice in Internet Options and the disk
>> clean up option from properties in My Computer. Looking at the
>> temporary Internet file folder now I am surprised to see that it is
>> still over 1.0 GB in size. It shows 104,000 files in 75 folders. What
>> are they and why are they still there?

> Every time you read a web page you download it. It stays in TIF until
> you delete it or until the maximum capacity (set by you is reached)
>
> To delete, use Internet Options, General tab, Delete. To set cache
> size, same place but settings.
>

> --
> dadiOH

Been there, done that but I still have this 1.0 GB folder.
Derek.

Sky King

Derek F. wrote:

> I tried the delete offline content option with limited success. The
> space used stayed about the same and the number of files only reduced
> to 98,000 and the number of folders to 45.

Then your entire TIF folder is likely corrupt. Boot into Safe Mode picking
"The" Administrator account on the Welcome screen, and delete the Temporary
Internet Files folder under your user profile. It will be here:

C:\Documents and Settings\<your user name>\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
Files

A new TIF folder will be automatically created when you boot back into
Normal mode.

BTW, I'm basing this on your header info which shows you are using XP SP2.
If this problem is on a different machine with some other version of
Windows, the goal is still the same just that the methods will differ.

--

....Sky

Tom "Sky" King