Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Asus P5GDC Deluxe ships with defective C-Media audio chip

Asus P5GDC Deluxe ships with defective C-Media audio chip

Frank

I have spent over 5 hours with Asus tech "support" trying to get a
microphone -- any microphone -- to function with a P5GDC Deluxe
motherboard. The answer from tech support is that It won't at any
level that is usable.

The problem is the C-Media chipset on this MB "does not support" a
20dB microphone boost (It took them 5 hours to come up with that
answer). That means that every microphone I am familiar with won't
work (including a $200 Sennheiser 845 S).

The board is designed for gaming with a PCI Express 16X AGP, yet they
screwed up the audio.

Asus has always been high on my list (I have bought many of their MB's
and have recommended them to others as well. No more.

Anybody else have a similar experience?

@}-}-------Rosee

Does ANY conglomerate have a decent sound driver that does what it is
supposed to do or are they just releasing buggy code that is a
nightmare, for the profit? Oh yeah, this IS about money....;o(

....just five hours?! I may not want to recommend Asus again. The
last five or so computers that have hit my workbench had trouble with
the sound drivers....the original sound drivers that came with the
"Recovery Disk". One of them happened to be a C-Media chip. After
much stress and expletives, I finally tamed the darn thing....but it
WAS NOT fun!!!

Frank <(E-Mail Removed)> chiseled in stone, the following words
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I have spent over 5 hours with Asus tech "support" trying to get a
> microphone -- any microphone -- to function with a P5GDC Deluxe
> motherboard. The answer from tech support is that It won't at any
> level that is usable.
>
> The problem is the C-Media chipset on this MB "does not support" a
> 20dB microphone boost (It took them 5 hours to come up with that
> answer). That means that every microphone I am familiar with won't
> work (including a $200 Sennheiser 845 S).
>
> The board is designed for gaming with a PCI Express 16X AGP, yet they
> screwed up the audio.
>
> Asus has always been high on my list (I have bought many of their MB's
> and have recommended them to others as well. No more.
>
> Anybody else have a similar experience?

NoMoreAsus

The problem seems to be Asus using C-Media, which "conforms to" the
Intel HDAudio ("Azalia") that Intel is pushing to replace the current
AC97 standard. I guess the answer is to stay away from any board
using the C-Media chip set and/or the Intel HDAudio spec.

The more I think about it, why not stay away fronm Intel, period
(Hello AMD!)? <g>

If you want more details, the Intel HDAudio spec is here. There is no
mic boost in the spec.

ftp://download.intel.com/standards/h...HDAudio_03.pdf

See "7.3.4.10 Amplifier Capabilities" on page 162, for how gain
is specified.

The CMedia datasheet for the 9880 chip is here. Section 5.4.5 on
page 22 lists input amp capabilities, using terminology from the
Intel spec:
http://www.cmedia.com.tw/doc/C-Media...ev%200.99C.pdf

StepSize = 05h ==> 1.5dB steps
NumSteps = 1Fh ==> 32 steps
Offset = 00h ==> implies no attenuation capability - likely wrong!

Taken at face value, this says the max gain setting is +46.5dB.

If we compare this to a typical AC97 spec, like a Realtek ALC650,
that chip has -34.5dB to +12dB, in 1.5dB steps. And, it has a
microphone boost, for an additional 20dB. That means the Realtek
ALC650 spans -34.5dB to +32dB gain.

So, if we believed the CMI encoding for their gain capabilities,
the gain setting would have more than enough gain for a microphone
(i.e. +46.5dB, as the offset is zero). But, instead, I think the
CMI "Offset" value should be a non-zero value, as it is unlikely
the CMI9880 gain block is all gain - it likely has a range more
like a traditional AC97 chip (i.e. -34.5 to +12dB). To emulate
the mic boost, CMI should have designed the chip to use more
than 32 steps.

It would suggest this is a problem with the CMI implementation
of the Azalia spec, and either the Cmedia control panel is
being confused by the "Offset = 00h" value, or the chip really
only does -34.5dB to +12dB and doesn't have enough gain for anything
other than some kind of amplified microphone (like maybe an
electret mic ?).

Notice how C-Media's web form doesn't even admit to a CMI9880 chip:

http://www.cmedia.com.tw/etech-re2.asp

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 23:31:56 -0600, "@}-}-------Rosee"
<!!GigAntiCBoSomS!!@Nip..com> wrote:

>Does ANY conglomerate have a decent sound driver that does what it is
>supposed to do or are they just releasing buggy code that is a
>nightmare, for the profit? Oh yeah, this IS about money....;o(
>
>...just five hours?! I may not want to recommend Asus again. The
>last five or so computers that have hit my workbench had trouble with
>the sound drivers....the original sound drivers that came with the
>"Recovery Disk". One of them happened to be a C-Media chip. After
>much stress and expletives, I finally tamed the darn thing....but it
>WAS NOT fun!!!
>
>Frank <(E-Mail Removed)> chiseled in stone, the following words
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> I have spent over 5 hours with Asus tech "support" trying to get a
>> microphone -- any microphone -- to function with a P5GDC Deluxe
>> motherboard. The answer from tech support is that It won't at any
>> level that is usable.
>>
>> The problem is the C-Media chipset on this MB "does not support" a
>> 20dB microphone boost (It took them 5 hours to come up with that
>> answer). That means that every microphone I am familiar with won't
>> work (including a $200 Sennheiser 845 S).
>>
>> The board is designed for gaming with a PCI Express 16X AGP, yet they
>> screwed up the audio.
>>
>> Asus has always been high on my list (I have bought many of their MB's
>> and have recommended them to others as well. No more.
>>
>> Anybody else have a similar experience?

@}-}-------Rosee

Hmmmm....seems I've already read a shortened version of this *.pdf
document. Thank you very much for drawing my attention to the
complete version.

I don't remember the *EXACT* details, but I do remember, on every
shutdown and restart of the computer, there was this terrible
"honk/squeal/grunt" as it loaded the sound drivers. I had already
disabled the Windows sounds, but that honk was horrible. I tried EVERY
version of driver. I was fast beginning to hate that C-Media chip.

NoMoreAsus <(E-Mail Removed)> chiseled in stone, the following
words news:(E-Mail Removed):

<schnippen>