Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > scanning AT&T's secure email?

scanning AT&T's secure email?

Howard

I have Norton Antivirus 2004, which is supposed to scan incoming and
outgoing email automatically (meaning without special configuration. It
used to work when I was just a dial-up AT&T customer, but now that I've
upgraded to DSL, I have to use secure settings to access the AT&T mail
servers

I've been using Mozilla Thunderbird, and Norton is set to show
indicators when it's scanning, but no such indicators appear -- my mail
just comes and goes, apparently with no scanning.

I've also tried AVG Email scanner, which, when configured properly,
holds up everything and never seems to get anything scanned either.
After that, I tried a free trial of Panda, just to see if anything
worked properly with the secure server settings, and that hung the whole
machine up, just like AVG.

Does anyone know any tricks for this? I think I read on the WURD site
that a solution was to turn off email scanning, which seems like a
fairly dangerous path to take -- but if it's not scanning anyway...

Any insight on this issue would be great. Thanks.

Old Gringo

Howard wrote:
> I have Norton Antivirus 2004, which is supposed to scan incoming and
> outgoing email automatically (meaning without special configuration. It
> used to work when I was just a dial-up AT&T customer, but now that I've
> upgraded to DSL, I have to use secure settings to access the AT&T mail
> servers
>
> I've been using Mozilla Thunderbird, and Norton is set to show
> indicators when it's scanning, but no such indicators appear -- my mail
> just comes and goes, apparently with no scanning.
>
> I've also tried AVG Email scanner, which, when configured properly,
> holds up everything and never seems to get anything scanned either.
> After that, I tried a free trial of Panda, just to see if anything
> worked properly with the secure server settings, and that hung the whole
> machine up, just like AVG.
>
> Does anyone know any tricks for this? I think I read on the WURD site
> that a solution was to turn off email scanning, which seems like a
> fairly dangerous path to take -- but if it's not scanning anyway...
>
> Any insight on this issue would be great. Thanks.

Now that you are on faster connection, you may not be able to notice
the scan as you did on dial-up. Load some pics. in an email and send
it to yourself. This will take more time than a regular text email
and you can see the results.

--
Old Gringo George

Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest