Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Format hard drive - how to?

Format hard drive - how to?

John Smith

We have an old pc..Every now and again it freezes...don't know if the cause
is hardware or software.
Am tempted to throw it...but have decided to give it a chance and do it up
as a non-internet pc to be used by young daughter for word processing etc.
Will attempt to format the hard drive for starters...briefly how do I do
that?
Its currently running with Windows95 but will install 98 after formatting.
Thanks,
John

mdp

Essentially you need a boot disk, the program FORMAT.COM on your boot disk,
and the command:

A:\>FORMAT C: /S

The /S is optional command (called a switch) which will make your harddisk
bootable as well as formatted.

Full explanation found here.

http://www.bootdisk.com/txtfiles/hdd.txt

Format appears in section 4. Bootdisks can be found at the same site.

"John Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cqs179$dca$(E-Mail Removed)...
> We have an old pc..Every now and again it freezes...don't know if the
> cause is hardware or software.
> Am tempted to throw it...but have decided to give it a chance and do it up
> as a non-internet pc to be used by young daughter for word processing etc.
> Will attempt to format the hard drive for starters...briefly how do I do
> that?
> Its currently running with Windows95 but will install 98 after formatting.
> Thanks,
> John

Brian

"John Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:cqs179$dca$(E-Mail Removed)...
> We have an old pc..Every now and again it freezes...don't know if the

cause
> is hardware or software.
> Am tempted to throw it...but have decided to give it a chance and do it up
> as a non-internet pc to be used by young daughter for word processing etc.
> Will attempt to format the hard drive for starters...briefly how do I do
> that?
> Its currently running with Windows95 but will install 98 after formatting.
> Thanks,
> John

download a windows 95 boot disk here:

http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

when u run the .exe make sure you have a (preferably formatted) diskette in
your 3.5" drive

and then read, print or write down if possible before proceeding

Brian

"Brian" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "John Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:cqs179$dca$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > We have an old pc..Every now and again it freezes...don't know if the

> cause
> > is hardware or software.
> > Am tempted to throw it...but have decided to give it a chance and do it

up
> > as a non-internet pc to be used by young daughter for word processing

etc.
> > Will attempt to format the hard drive for starters...briefly how do I do
> > that?
> > Its currently running with Windows95 but will install 98 after

formatting.
> > Thanks,
> > John
> >

> download a windows 95 boot disk here:
>
> http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
>
> when u run the .exe make sure you have a (preferably formatted) diskette

in
> your 3.5" drive
>
> and then read, print or write down if possible before proceeding

forgotten link:
http://home.pacbell.net/dbk4297/win95b.html

Ron Martell

"mdp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Essentially you need a boot disk, the program FORMAT.COM on your boot disk,
>and the command:
>
>A:\>FORMAT C: /S
>
>The /S is optional command (called a switch) which will make your harddisk
>bootable as well as formatted.

Formatting with the /S option is totally unnecessary if Windows (any
version 95 or later) is going to be installed. It can also cause
complications with the install of certain types of Windows (especially
OEM products) as they sometimes object to the presence of another
operating system on the hard drive.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

Pennywise@DerryMaine.gov

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 16:22:28 -0000, "John Smith"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|> We have an old pc..Every now and again it freezes...don't know if the cause
|> is hardware or software.
|> Am tempted to throw it...but have decided to give it a chance and do it up
|> as a non-internet pc to be used by young daughter for word processing etc.
|> Will attempt to format the hard drive for starters...briefly how do I do
|> that?
|> Its currently running with Windows95 but will install 98 after formatting.
|> Thanks,
|> John

As everybody else mentioned plus: seeing as this is a WIn95 system
(small hard drive)

At the A:\> prompt type in
FORMAT C: /S /U
<enter>

The /U switch prevents an uninstall (unformat) file to be saved to the
hard drive which can be very large, and not needed if your going to
Win98.

--
http://tinyurl.com/4gdp7

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|> We have an old pc..Every now and again it freezes...don't know if the cause
|> is hardware or software.
|> Am tempted to throw it...but have decided to give it a chance and do it up
|> as a non-internet pc to be used by young daughter for word processing etc.
|> Will attempt to format the hard drive for starters...briefly how do I do
|> that?
|> Its currently running with Windows95 but will install 98 after formatting.

--Had to cancel my first message, Ron's post made me realize
something.--

Seeing as this is Win95 your not going to have CD access once you format
your drive.

A Win98 boot disk will also allow you to access your hard drive you'll
be asked if you wish to do this when you boot up.

Download this (double click) Win98 bootdisk:
http://users.pandora.be/littlebrothe...ads/boot98.exe
From boot.com http://bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

create a boot disk by running it and installing it on a floppy.

Boot up with the floppy and format as mentioned
Format c: /s

/S so your hard drive will boot up after the format (just in case).

Then access your CD and install 98.

--

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|> We have an old pc..Every now and again it freezes...don't know if the cause
|> is hardware or software.
|> Am tempted to throw it...but have decided to give it a chance and do it up
|> as a non-internet pc to be used by young daughter for word processing etc.
|> Will attempt to format the hard drive for starters...briefly how do I do
|> that?
|> Its currently running with Windows95 but will install 98 after formatting.

--Had to cancel my first message, Ron's post made me realize
something.--

Seeing as this is Win95 your not going to have CD access once you format
your drive.

A Win98 boot disk will also allow you to access your CD drive, you'll be

From boot.com http://bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

create a boot disk by running it and installing it on a floppy.

Boot up with the floppy and format as mentioned
Format c: /s

/S so your hard drive will boot up after the format (just in case).

Then access your CD and install 98.

--
http://tinyurl.com/4gdp7

John Smith

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 16:22:28 -0000, "John Smith"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> |> We have an old pc..Every now and again it freezes...don't know if the
> cause
> |> is hardware or software.
> |> Am tempted to throw it...but have decided to give it a chance and do it
> up
> |> as a non-internet pc to be used by young daughter for word processing
> etc.
> |> Will attempt to format the hard drive for starters...briefly how do I
> do
> |> that?
> |> Its currently running with Windows95 but will install 98 after
> formatting.
>
> --Had to cancel my first message, Ron's post made me realize
> something.--
>
> Seeing as this is Win95 your not going to have CD access once you format
> your drive.
>
> A Win98 boot disk will also allow you to access your CD drive, you'll be
> asked if you wish to do this when you boot up.
>
> Download this (double click) Win98 bootdisk:
> http://users.pandora.be/littlebrothe...ads/boot98.exe
> From boot.com http://bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
>
> create a boot disk by running it and installing it on a floppy.
>
> Boot up with the floppy and format as mentioned
> Format c: /s
>
> /S so your hard drive will boot up after the format (just in case).
>
> Then access your CD and install 98.
>

> --
> http://tinyurl.com/4gdp7

------------------
OK, Many thanks,
John
------------

Barry OGrady

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 16:22:28 -0000, "John Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>We have an old pc..Every now and again it freezes...don't know if the cause
>is hardware or software.
>Am tempted to throw it...but have decided to give it a chance and do it up
>as a non-internet pc to be used by young daughter for word processing etc.
>Will attempt to format the hard drive for starters...briefly how do I do
>that?

format c:

>Its currently running with Windows95 but will install 98 after formatting.
>Thanks,
>John

-Barry
========
"I see only with deep regret that God punishes so many of His children for
their numerous stupidities, for which only He Himself can be held responsible;
in my opinion, only His nonexistence could excuse Him."
[A. Einstein (Letter to Edgar Meyer, Jan. 2, 1915)]