Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Block Senders List question

Block Senders List question

Jim M

I am using Outlook express and if I put someone on my 'Block senders
list" does he/she get anything back saying the e:mail was undeliverable or
the person has been blocked? I was wondering if this person was getting the
message and knows they have been blocked is all....thanks Jim

Jim Berwick

"Jim M" <jim> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> list" does he/she get anything back saying the e:mail was
> undeliverable or the person has been blocked? I was wondering if this
> person was getting the message and knows they have been blocked is
> all....thanks Jim

No. It just deletes the mail.

Ionizer

"Jim M" <jim> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am using Outlook express and if I put someone on my 'Block senders
> list" does he/she get anything back saying the e:mail was undeliverable

or
> the person has been blocked? I was wondering if this person was getting

the
> message and knows they have been blocked is all....thanks Jim

MailWasher can be used to "bounce" messages back to the sender, which
*will* make sure that your person is "getting the message." The last
freeware version of MailWasher is available here:
http://www.321download.com/LastFreeware/page2.html MailWasher should not
be used to bounce Spam however, where the "From" field is almost always
forged. I'm assuming that the sender you have in mind is not forging
his/her return address.

Regards,
Ian.

Mike Easter

Ionizer wrote:
> MailWasher can be used to "bounce" messages back to the sender, which
> *will* make sure that your person is "getting the message." The last
> freeware version of MailWasher is available here:
> http://www.321download.com/LastFreeware/page2.html MailWasher should
> not be used to bounce Spam however, where the "From" field is almost
> always forged. I'm assuming that the sender you have in mind is not
> forging his/her return address.

Lest the most important last sentence of that post be missed by those
who read carelessly....

Do not, I repeat do *not* bounce /spam/ with MailWasher MW.

MW's default configuration is to fraudulently bogus bounce, and its
fraudulent 'documentation' about bogus bouncing at its website and other
documentation is a pack of lies designed for commercial gain for its pay
version..

MW's lying developers mislead the users of its spamfilter to believe
that the bogus bouncing is a 'feature' which should be applied to spam.
It tells those lies as a matter of 'competing' with other spamfilters
which will have nothing to do with bogus bouncing of spam. Fraudulent
and belated bogus 'bouncing' which is actually the creation of a newmail
to the spam's bogus From is well known to be abusive and has also caused
the unwise MW bogus bouncers of spam to be threatened with loss of
service by their providers.

This occurs because the abused bogus From recipient of bogus MW bounces
of spam report that abusive MW user to their provider.

MW's developers should configure MW to *NOT* bogus bounce 'out of the
box' -- and if the developers want to provide such a 'dangerous' abusive
functionality, it/they should require the user to sign an agreement
demonstrating and understanding of the harmful nature of bogus bouncing
of spam and to also obtain permission from their provider to forge the
provider's role accounts into bogus bouncing headers.

Only after providing such documentation should a user be provided with a
key which would enable bogus bouncing.

Cranking out millions of downloads of free MW default configured to
bogus bounce spam and then installed by uninformed newbies while also
hyping the bogus bouncing of spam at the website is beyond
irresponsible. It is greedy fraud which is also abusive. MW is
responsible for untold millions of abusive bogus bounces of spams to
innocent forged spam Froms.

--
Mike Easter

Mike Easter

Mike Easter wrote:
> MW's developers should configure MW to *NOT* bogus bounce 'out of the
> box'

> Cranking out millions of downloads of free MW default configured to
> bogus bounce spam

> is beyond
> irresponsible.

Altho' I decline to 'read the mind' of spammers and other greedy liars,
it is my opinion that there is an ulterior motive in the design of MW to
aid a subclass of spammers and bulk mailing list operators.

MW's bogus bounce feature broadly applied by unwitting newbies helps
certain bulk mailing list operators to listwash 'automatically'. That
solves a problem for those bulkers because many spam recipients are
prone to report their unwanted spam instead of responding to 'remove'
instructions. They may use spamcop to report, which anonymizes and
blocklists and notifies the source provider - thus thwarting
listwashing.

Listwashing is a process by which the senders of unwanted mail, bulkers,
remove an address from a particular list and thus prevent complaints
about the receipt of the mail to the provider.

Bulkers would like for recipients to either 'just hit delete' or to
'remove' or to bogus bounce with MW. Not report to the provider with
some kind of anonymizer like spamcop.

--
Mike Easter

Ionizer

news:d%Yzd.10981$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
> Altho' I decline to 'read the mind' of spammers and other greedy liars,
> it is my opinion that there is an ulterior motive in the design of MW to
> aid a subclass of spammers and bulk mailing list operators.
>
> MW's bogus bounce feature broadly applied by unwitting newbies helps
> certain bulk mailing list operators to listwash 'automatically'. That
> solves a problem for those bulkers because many spam recipients are
> prone to report their unwanted spam instead of responding to 'remove'
> instructions. They may use spamcop to report, which anonymizes and
> blocklists and notifies the source provider - thus thwarting
> listwashing.
>
> Listwashing is a process by which the senders of unwanted mail, bulkers,
> remove an address from a particular list and thus prevent complaints
> about the receipt of the mail to the provider.

<snip>

I understand and agree with your previous points about not using
Mailwasher's bounce feature to deal with spam, but I don't understand the
point you are making about listwashing. If I understand the concept of
listwashing correctly, then what I really DO want is to be removed from
spammer's mailing lists- I want them to remove my address from their list.
I'd rather not receive the spam in the first place, rather than ensure
that I keep receiving it so that I can continue complaining. I'm more
concerned with winning my battle than winning the war.

Am I just completely missing and misunderstanding what you are saying,
Mike?

Regards,
Ian.
(SpamCop user since 2002.)